AVS Forum banner

10861 - 10880 of 11954 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24649985

 

I got mine as soon as it was released, so I have seen a few hiccups, but most of them have been addressed or will be (another FW update is about to be released). 

 

I really like it. It performs reliably and does what it is supposed to. My biggest gripes are all personal preference stuff.

 

I have a 2TB WD expansion drive hooked up to it. Plenty of recording space ($89.00 at Frys).

 

It does user setup recording, name based recording, or single episode recording.

 

It's not a TiVo (my wife actually prefers the DVR+ over the TiVo) but it is cheaper and carries no monthly fee.
Thanks for the reply, this sounds like what I've been looking for. I have a 500G WD sitting around, so I probably already have enough storage for my needs. I don't do a lot of searching, etc., so the fact that the interface might be somewhat limited doesn't bother me. What I'd like to do with it is record a few shows in the bedroom so that we can relax in bed to watch them instead of staying out in the family room. I'd also like to take it on the road while traveling so we can record a few shows, beforehand or along the way, to watch when we stop for the night. I have a small flat indoor antenna about 12"x12" that I think would let us record shows during our stops. I don't know how powerful the antenna is, but it'll be easy enough to find out.

 

I see it offers VUDU, so I assume there is no capability for Netflix, Amazon Prime, HULU, etc.?

I don't suppose you also have the Slingbox?

 

They sell a bundle on Amazon for $300 that includes the DVR, the WiFi adapter and a 12' HDMI cable, so I think that's what I'll order after I hear what you have to say about my proposed use. All in all, it sounds like it would be worth the investment, especially since I'm also considering cutting the cord. If I did cut the cord at some point and needed more tuners, I could simply get another one and double the tuners for much less than one TiVo with subscription would cost.

 

So what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsinaz  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv#post_4553531


I still can't seem to get decent reception OTA. I have the winegard antenna with the Samsung TS-360 receiver. I live 8 miles from the towers and can see them from where my antenna is placed.


Can I be doing something wrong with my setup? The Dtv installer has the OTA cable plugged into my "cable" input on the TS-360. I changed it to the OTA connection, but I still can't get a signal.


I tried a RS amplifier and that didn't help either.


I'm stumped and the World Series is on Fox and I can't receive Channels 88 or 89 either. Watching the Series on regular Dtv.


Help....
check your wiring....simple. But it's the little things that can easily interfere with our antenna signals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10800#post_24358667

 

Thanks for the reply, Scott. Trust me, I can get by on OTA and online, I just don't know that I want to yet. I can always find things to watch and I love to read, so I was just trying to see what the impact your decision had on you to get a feel for things. Folks say they dump cable and go OTA-only without offering much of an idea of what the real impact is. If someone doesn't watch a lot of TV, then there is no real impact if they dump cable. If TiVo made an OTA/cable DVR, the decision would be easier because I could always re-subscribe to cable.
I don't know how old this post is, but Hulu Plus offers all three of the programs you mentioned....Justified, White Collar and Suits. If you are a reader and just enjoy a few shows....I think OTA would definitely be the way to go for you IMHO : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,865

Originally Posted by antennagirl  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24650559

 

I don't know how old this post is, but Hulu Plus offers all three of the programs you mentioned....Justified, White Collar and Suits. If you are a reader and just enjoy a few shows....I think OTA would definitely be the way to go for you IMHO : )
The date of the post can be found in the upper left corner of the post, I posted this one back on 2/14/2014. I started this thread many years ago, so obviously I am a reader :), I've read every post over the years.

 

As far as what I should do, if you've followed my discussion over time (which you haven't since you just joined), I'm not yet willing to give up cable even if many shows are available elsewhere because my primary reason for keeping cable at this point is that the LIVE news, etc., that I watch throughout the day is NOT available elsewhere. Even where it is available via streaming, you still have to prove you pay for cable/sat in order to view it.

 

Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Hulu Plus. I understand that most shows are available fairly soon after being broadcast, but I'm not sure if all one needs to view those from the cable networks is the Hulu Plus subscription. If it is, adding a Slingbox or something to the CM DVR+ might get me almost where I want to be. If I decide to buy a CM DVR+, I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennagirl  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24650530

 

check your wiring....simple. But it's the little things that can easily interfere with our antenna signals
The date of the post is in the upper left corner. The post you quoted was posted back on 10/24/2004 and I suspect he's resolved his problem by now. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24650674



The date of the post is in the upper left corner. The post you quoted was posted back on 10/24/2004 and I suspect he's resolved his problem by now.
found it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennagirl  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24650702



found it!
I just replied to your PM. Glad you found it. BTW, there's nothing wrong with reviving old posts, just wanted to let you know there is a date. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24650447

 

Thanks for the reply, this sounds like what I've been looking for. I have a 500G WD sitting around, so I probably already have enough storage for my needs. I don't do a lot of searching, etc., so the fact that the interface might be somewhat limited doesn't bother me. What I'd like to do with it is record a few shows in the bedroom so that we can relax in bed to watch them instead of staying out in the family room. I'd also like to take it on the road while traveling so we can record a few shows, beforehand or along the way, to watch when we stop for the night. I have a small flat indoor antenna about 12"x12" that I think would let us record shows during our stops. I don't know how powerful the antenna is, but it'll be easy enough to find out.

 

I see it offers VUDU, so I assume there is no capability for Netflix, Amazon Prime, HULU, etc.?

I don't suppose you also have the Slingbox?

 

They sell a bundle on Amazon for $300 that includes the DVR, the WiFi adapter and a 12' HDMI cable, so I think that's what I'll order after I hear what you have to say about my proposed use. All in all, it sounds like it would be worth the investment, especially since I'm also considering cutting the cord. If I did cut the cord at some point and needed more tuners, I could simply get another one and double the tuners for much less than one TiVo with subscription would cost.

 

So what do you think?
I know of one person who takes their DVR+ with them on the road, and it serves them so well.

 

VUDU is the only thing on it now, but CM is working on adding more apps. I don't have the slingbox, but I know it was designed specifically to work with it.

 

I don't use the wifi, mine is plugged in directly via a cat5 cable. 

 

I think in your case, you would probably be very happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24651157

 

I know of one person who takes their DVR+ with them on the road, and it serves them so well.

 

VUDU is the only thing on it now, but CM is working on adding more apps. I don't have the slingbox, but I know it was designed specifically to work with it.

 

I don't use the wifi, mine is plugged in directly via a cat5 cable. 

 

I think in your case, you would probably be very happy with it.
I'd only need wifi because I don't have Ethernet in the bedroom. I probably don't really need it at all, but I figured the price at Amazon offered a little savings for the bundle and just when I say I don't need, they'd add something I'd want to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Others have found cheaper wifi dongles that work, but I would just get the package off of Amazon. Rovi EPG guide data is much nicer than just station EPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24651803

 

Others have found cheaper wifi dongles that work, but I would just get the package off of Amazon. Rovi EPG guide data is much nicer than just station EPG.
Well, it's not Prime eligible, but shipping would still be free and I think tax might be less too. Since I already have a Roku, I didn't think I needed wifi until I noticed that's how I'd get the Rovi guide and I'd want that. I assume there is no "New" indicator to avoid recording reruns. Have you read the negative reviews on Amazon regarding missed recordings, late recordings, etc., and do you have any comments on them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

@DoubleDAZ  There currently is no "New" indicator, but that has been one of the largest requests to CM, and is currently in development for release in a future FW update (hopefully 106R).

 

I had issues with missed recordings in the past, but after I went to a directional antenna (like you are looking at - vs a unidirectional antenna) I haven't had any missed recordings (over a month now).

 

My DVR+ is set to start recordings 2 minutes early, it has never started late.

 

A new FW (106R) is being released very shortly, all of the focus on it has been on reliability sustainability.

 

 

I own the DVR+, TiVo Romio, and a ViewTv (use it to record onto a USB HDD and then drag and drop onto a ( https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/m3r.html ) Meenova to watch shows on my phone.

 

For a DVR in the bedroom, you would definitely be happy with the DVR+ (if you don't like it, they will take it back for at least 30 days).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,874

Well, I think I'm sold, but I'm going to think it over for a few days. I have to tell you, I was almost turned off by those reviews until I read the one by JJ. I'm sure if I buy it, I'll be happy with it. Even if I'm not completely happy with it, I don't return things unless they don't deliver what's advertised and I've never had that happen. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,354 Posts
The DVR+ looks like it might be a good product. CM has been making OTA DVRs for some time, and this seems to be the 3rd generation. Earlier gens were buggy. Maybe they got it right this time, but there are already reports of missed recordings.


But there are other options that are not $300. The HDPVR will allow you to record component HD to a standard DVD blank that can be played back by any Blu-Ray player. The Elgato Eye TV will allow you to record component HD to a HDD, and both systems have guide capability and all of the other bells and whistles of the DVR+, for about half that price. They also record in MPEG-4 rather than MPEG-2, so the recordings take up about a 5th of the space of conventional OTA TV at comparable quality, and equvalent quality if you up the bit rate. They will also create a copy formatted for your iPad or iPhone automatically if you want, or you can convert stored recordings to that format easily, great if you travel at all.


The catch here is that you need them connected to a PC or Mac and they only record one channel at once. You also need a component video source, but HD tuner boxes that ouput HD component are available for about $35, and they can interface with the tuning capability of either product via an IR blaster.


It honestly depends on what you want to watch (and where) as to what product might be right for you, but if you are considering any of these devices you owe it to yourself to check all of them out before making a decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,876

As always TomCat, thanks for the info. To be honest, I haven't thought about this since I last posted because I'm now dealing with some kidney issues and the DVR+ is the least of my concerns. Be that as it may, dual tuners is a necessity, so that eliminates some alternatives. I also don't want to have to invest in another PC just for this or carry it with us when we travel, so that eliminates more. And I have no desire to make DVDs. The DVR+ fulfills all my needs, but I will take at look at those you mentioned to see what they offer. The more info I have, the better decision I'll eventually make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,878

The review seemed pretty honest and didn't have any surprises. I know a Roamio would be the better option if I were going to use it as my main DVR, and that's still an option. I'm just not convinced I'll use a DVR+ enough to even justify it's lower cost, so I'm stuck at a crossroads. I'm battling some health issues right now, so this decision has gone on the backburner. Thanks for the link to the review though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
No problem. The problem I see is the limited amount of tuners. I strictly do OTA and there have been 2 instances so far where the 4 tuners haven't been enough and I couldn't record a fifth show during the same time frame. I'm just glad that this isn't a frequent occurrence and I'm surprised that this has even happened which speaks to the overall improvement and quality of OTA broadcast tv these days. For someone with cable I think anything less than 4 tuners is probably a non starter for primary tv viewing especially if you include sports which we all know eats up a lot of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24675529


I still say the base Tivo Roamio is the much better option although it'll take much longer to pay itself off in the long run. The UI is unbelievable and dare I say the best of any platform I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Agree, After just a few weeks of using a TiVo I was sold, and haven't looked back. It is just so superior.


I now have 3 TiVo DVRs, 12 tuners and 2 TiVo Minis and every TV is covered.
 
10861 - 10880 of 11954 Posts
Top