AVS Forum banner

10881 - 10900 of 11949 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24677271

Agree, After just a few weeks of using a TiVo I was sold, and haven't looked back. It is just so superior.

I now have 3 TiVo DVRs, 12 tuners and 2 TiVo Minis and every TV is covered.

With the cost of the TiVo Romio basic including subscription,it's great for the primary tv (I have one in my living room) but the DVR+ is solid unit, what I have in my office, and use to record all of "my" shows. It is better than the one I had with DirecTv, lol, and the wife actually prefers it over the Romio.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24677271

Agree, After just a few weeks of using a TiVo I was sold, and haven't looked back. It is just so superior.

I now have 3 TiVo DVRs, 12 tuners and 2 TiVo Minis and every TV is covered.
Well, I certainly don't need that expense. :)  I know TiVo would be the "best" solution. When I started this discussion, I was looking for an inexpensive way to record a few shows for viewing in the bedroom and to keep up with some shows while traveling. I can do all that very cheaply with a $250 DVR+. However, as I've been chatting with Chere via pm, I'm slowly talking myself into a 6-tuner Roamio Plus ($400) with Lifetime service ($500), a Slingbox ($300) and a Mini ($100). Granted, we're now up to $1,300, but this way I could watch anything on the bedroom TV and watch anything on any TV while traveling without having to haul anything extra. I also told Chere I'm buying a new TV in the fall, probably the 75" Samsung ($2,900) from Costco to replace my aged 65" Hitachi (any opinions?) and I "really" want a whole house DVR solution then. I can't see spending the money on a new TV and then limiting us to OTA TV, so I think cutting the cord is out. I also can't see keeping my old 8300 cable DVR with all it's limitations, even though the new TV will have Netflix, Amazon, etc., and I won't need the Roamio for that kind of stuff either.

The bottom line is I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do. I need to show my wife how the new TV will fit into our current family room design. If the TV sounds as good as the RCA in our bedroom, I might even be able to get rid of my receiver/speakers to get the electronic footprint down to just the TV, Roamio, Blue-Ray and modem/router. I'm really tired of not making a decision, so I think after I see my doctors next week and get their latest prognosis, we'll talk it over and maybe not wait until the holidays, even though I hesitate buying big ticket items before the holiday sales kick in. It would be nice though to get all this setup before our trip to Glacier NP and Wisconsin in late August through September.

I don't suppose anyone reading this has any experience with a Roamio and Slingbox?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hmmm.

First, isn't this forum about cutting the cord and OTA?

Second, which model Samsung?

Third, and this is simply my opinion, no TV's sound is going to take the place of a receiver and speakers.

Finally, I seem to remember a tendency to over-analyze on your part, and honestly, I mean no disrespect. Don't make it anymore complicated than it needs to be (that's REALLY easy to do-I know, I've done it). Pretty soon, you've inundated yourself with technology and a steep learning curve.

My advice (if you're not pissed at me), is lower your requirements and think of ONLY what is really needed.

Scott

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10860#post_24678438

Hmmm.

First, isn't this forum about cutting the cord and OTA?

Second, which model Samsung?

Third, and this is simply my opinion, no TV's sound is going to take the place of a receiver and speakers.

Finally, I seem to remember a tendency to over-analyze on your part, and honestly, I mean no disrespect. Don't make it anymore complicated than it needs to be (that's REALLY easy to do-I know, I've done it). Pretty soon, you've inundated yourself with technology and a steep learning curve.

My advice (if you're not pissed at me), is lower your requirements and think of ONLY what is really needed.

Scott
First, I never get angry at someone for offering an honest opinion in a respectful manner.

Second, if you read the description for these threads, you'll find the following: "Threads labeled HDTV are for discussion of all HDTV issues in a market. Some of the more active areas have divided the discussion into an exclusively OTA (Over-the-Air) reception thread, and/or Cable, DBS, fiber, IPTV threads. Please post in the appropriate thread." I purposely had that language added way back when I started this thread because too many people thought "Reception" meant OTA only and there has not been enough activity here to warrant separate threads for the Phoenix market, at least according to the powers that be.

Third, I know a TV is probably not going to sound as good as my receiver, but then you don't know what setup I have, so that opinion is just a general one. My setup is quite old (over 10 yrs) and I've been amazed at how well the 40" RCA in the bedroom does at directing sound around the room. The same is true of my daughter's 60" in her living room. I may not replace it, but I'm probably going to live with the TV speakers for a while to see if it's "good enough" for us. The TV is not in a HT room, it's in a very open-concept family room/kitchen/dining room.

Fourth, I know I'm over-analyzing, but some of that is simply discussion to ask/answer questions/comments and to reinforce the decision I'm sure I'm going to make soon. Had I made this decision when it first came up, I'd be stuck with a Moxi, an early TiVo or worse. I'm in no hurry and the technology (especially TiVo) has changed a lot since I first thought about eventually reducing my reliance on cable hardware. It never hurts to check the latest when the decision gets closer. I'd make the decision now, but my current TV doesn't have HDMI. Also, I don't force anyone to read my posts or respond to them, so I see no harm in analyzing this to death. :) As others know, I dislike TiVo as a company, so buying one will be a big compromise for me.

Fifth, what's "needed" is absolutely nothing. I don't "need" a new TV or another DVR or a way to watch shows while traveling, I do just fine now. But, the TV is old and I'd like new features and a "fresh" display. My DVR has been giving me some breakups lately, so I think it's time to replace it and I don't really want another Cox DVR. The fact that I don't "need" anything is part of why I tend to over-analyze. If the TV broke tonight, I'd be at Costco when it opens.

And, lastly, the TV is  the Samsung model UN75H6300AF . I haven't done too much research yet to see if a newer model might be a better deal than what Costco is selling and that's partly why the desire to wait until I see what comes with the holidays in the fall. From what I've read so far, I think the price may be about $400 too high, but Samsung is noted for a lot of features and a good image, though not the "best" in this price range when it comes to blacks. Unfortunately, the C-Net review I saw compares it to a plasma and that's not really a fair comparison. Plus, we all know that unless you can do a side-by-side comparison, most won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My Yamaha RX-3800 receiver is hooked up to my 60' Kuro Elite. To that, a 1920 x 1080 PC that can play movies (files and Blu-Rays), TV, music and such, a cable DVR, and 7.1 audio.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,886

Mine's a 10+ year old Denon 3803 with 2 floor speakers (16x16x24), 3 older 101-series speakers for center/surround and a separate sub. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound I get, but I'm willing to see if I can streamline things given the newer technology. We no longer watch as many movies as we once did and TV surround audio just isn't really worth the effort given the volume settings we use these days. I'm also getting a little picky about how much energy we use just to watch TV. It's amazing how warm my cabinet gets even with no back. I'm going green with my next vehicle in early 2015 (Prius), so I might as well start looking at other areas too. It's not a price thing either. If it were, I'd just cut the cord and go with the DVR+. Even though I enjoy the news, etc., if it were just me, I'd still probably cut the cord, but unless our viewing habits change, I see cable in our future, so I might as well make the most of it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The cable is my wife's habit. I watch HD movies.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
* I will respectfully stand corrected on the purpose of the thread. Thanks. And thanks for accepting my input on decisiveness.

* TV sound vs. receiver/speaker sound will always be inferior with the possible exception of some 2014 models I'm reading about. With that said, the new TV's sound may be fine, as you said but you threw it out there, so I offered my opinion, for what its worth.

* I had a 55" 6300 from Costco for a short time. If your room is such that you won't be viewing it from more than 35 degrees (approx) off center you should be fine. Any steeper angle and you will be enjoying a very greyed out image. I took mine back because it drove me nuts seeing it every time I walked past the TV. Its bad, I don't care what anyone says. For a bedroom, the sound would probably be fine, but don't count on any surround effects.

* I have a new Roamio with OTA and I love it. I'm new to TiVo and haven't had enough time to run into any possible problems with the company.

* If you've been wondering and asking questions about all this since early TiVo days, I predict you probably won't do anything. But you will have gathered a lot of input and can probably help a lot of other people with the knowledge. For instance, I know nothing of traveling and watching your favorite TV shows.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,889

Well, Scott, your critique of the TV gives me pause and I'm glad you offered it. That angle is not much better, if not worse, than my current RPTV, so I'm going to have to do some more research. If I may ask, what did you replace yours with? If you don't care to answer after you read the rest of this post, so be it.

As for the comment about not doing anything; one, it's insulting (the way I read it anyway), but that's life, and two, I didn't intend to suggest that I've been considering this since the early TiVo days. Obviously, anyone remotely interested in technology would naturally consider a TiVo when it first came out and whenever there was an upgrade. Therefore, I've always taken a look at it. However, I did get serious a while ago about a Moxi, but just wasn't convinced it was a good enough deal at $1,000+ and at the time, both TiVo and Moxi were not financially stable, so I delayed any change. I then thought about going the HTPC route and nixed that because I'm just tired of fiddling with PCs and Windows, and I just don't want a PC in our family room. So, I delayed again and was not going to think about it until after I bought a new TV. Then the DVR+ was mentioned and I started thinking about things again.

Now, as a result of this discussion, I see I need to reconsider the TV and I'll do just that. I will have a new TV for Christmas this fall. I've also been considering a Sharp and Vizio, but was zeroing in on the Samsung because of their reputation. Their 8000-series gets a thumbs up from C-Net and I may opt to go that route after I do some more research. I've also decided that the TiVo/Slingbox combination I mentioned is the way for me to get everything I want at a cost that will eventually amortize itself. I don't like TiVo as a company because they've litigated themselves to where they are financially and they shunned cable until DirecTV gave them the boot. As I said, once I see my doctors next week and see what they have to say about my kidney problems, I'll place the order, assuming the prognosis won't be bad news and I'm holding my own. FWIW, I'm close to needing dialysis, so pardon me if this decision is not really a big priority at the moment.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I try to always follow this: "Everyone is fighting a battle you can't possibly know about. Be kind. Always."

I didn't follow it; I don't think I was kind, but blunt. I know what health worries are so my thoughts go out to you. And my kindness.

I might offer that all this technical discussion and eventually procurement would perhaps partially offset the mental part of your journey right now. (just a thought).

Back to our discussion: I returned the 6300 and bought a higher level Samsung (sorry, don't know why I can't remember the model) and it was pretty much the same. On the plus side, the Samsungs have an awesome interface for apps, streaming, config, etc.

I also returned that one and bought a Panasonic plasma (sadly, discontinued about six months ago). Much better, no side fading, etc.

My advice on the TV: Wait and see what the 2014 models bring, especially Vizio. Scan the Vizio threads for 2014 info. It sounds very promising, and economical.

As for DVR, personally I wouldn't let concerns about a company's business ethic, etc guide a decision like this. TiVO is solvent. What matters is the usual: features, customer support, etc. As an example, I will never ever buy another Sony product, not because of their business performance but because of QC and customer support.

Finally, I will never ever go back to cable/sat but this is largely dependent on my weird but intense dislike of TV programming. I LOVE streaming - what I want, when I want, no commercials, etc. I have OTA for maybe three shows that I record. Period. And, bonus: the picture is maybe (approx) 40% better than cable, all over my little antenna on the roof. And its free. Love that part.

Sorry I made you feel insulted...

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,891

Not to worry Scott, your comment didn't bother me that much, but I felt the need to comment. :) And thanks for the well wishes. If Monday turns out the way I think it will, I'll be fine, but the last 6 weeks has been a roller coaster. Even if it doesn't turn out good, dialysis can now be done at home and while traveling, so it's not the kiss of death and I think I've still got 2 years before I get to that point either way. With a little luck though and the significant changes I've made to my diet and exercise routine, I can remain within Stage 3 for a long time, so we'll just have to wait and see how things go. FWIW, my wife is also facing some issues and that only complicates things around here.

That said, I am tired of pondering the TV situation and I made up my mind after talking with Chere yesterday to move to a TiVo. It's the only option that won't still leave me wanting, so I may as well bite the bullet and get what I want. I just remembered too that my old RPTV does have DVI, so I can connect the video via an HDMI-DVI adapter and leave the audio via optical to the receiver. I don't know if that will be better than using Component. I thought about the base model to get OTA, but I don't really want to deal with an antenna and adding the Stream would bring the price close to a Plus. 

As I understand it, I can order the hardware from Amazon to save a few dollars and then pay for Lifetime service when I call TiVo to activate service. I may just call TiVo and see if they'll give me everything at the same cost and/or any kind of discount on Lifetime service. Otherwise, I'll need to pay $500 for service for the Roamio and $150 for the Mini. I'll also need a CableCard and SDV adapter from Cox and when it's all working, I can turn in my current DVR. Amortization will be 65 months, but that's not really fair because I'm getting so much more than what I have with Cox. And technically I don't really need the Mini because I could stream to other TVs via my tablets and/or laptops, they all connect via HDMI. I don't know how robust the streaming is or how much control I get with it. I guess I could just order the Plus to see how it all works and then order a Mini if I find I need it. I have a Toshiba Thrive sitting here in it's case not even getting turned on these days and it works great with the TV.

As for the TV, I get that the plasma has better blacks and is better from the side, but I knew that going in. I didn't want a plasma though, even if they were still available, so I guess my question is was the Sammy any worse than other LED LCDs out there? I'll be sure to check them all out from the side the next time I'm in Costco. I probably do need to take another look at Vizio, but I'm concerned about their quality control and the Sammy is supposed to have the best interface, apps, etc. I'm not hung up on the 75" either, 65 has worked well for 10 years, but it's as small as I'll go. My daughter's is 60 and I notice the difference. Of course, that could be how it's mounted on the wall. :)

EDIT: Technically the amortization is only 48 months because anything I add over the Plus is extra and it's not fair to include that in the payback time. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
About the only value I can add to all of that is this: I stood in Costco for about five minutes one day turning a 6300 this way and that, craning my neck and walking back and forth like and idiot and I hardly saw any fading. Once I got a 6300 home, it was terrible. It could have been my set but I don't think so because: Somewhere on here I've read a couple of times that its really difficult to duplicate the side fading in a store, that (sadly), its not as apparent till you get it home. And, my friend has a mid-range Samsung and it does the same thing mine did.

So, when all this is said and done, you're still going to have Cox, just using the cable card, right?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,893

Well, Scott, I have to say that's quite interesting, so I'm going to have to give it some thought. Fry's Electronics here might be a better place to check then because their TV section is fairly dark compared to Costco and others. I'm pretty sure those TVs have a setting to auto-adjust to ambient light, etc., I don't remember the name of the feature, but I do remember reading a review that mentioned turning it On.

As far as Cox goes, yes, I'm afraid I'm in until finances make me get out and I don't see that happening. Truth be told, I've probably given that more thought than the DVR options. I even thought about a base Roamio this afternoon and just can't see us doing without cable simply because it's not a money issue for us, though I hate the cost. I don't hate it because the $100 is too expensive for TV and DVR. I hate it because so much of my money goes to channels I don't watch and not enough to the channels I do. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 2014 Visio's aren't in yet but their quality is high. They supposedly are changing their image and the new sets I saw at CES are great LED sets.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've written about it elsewhere but in a nutshell I went OTA (away from Cox) because:

* Millons of useless, unwatchable channels.

* $82 a month for first dot point is insane.

* We honestly don't watch network TV except for special events.

* Cox arbitrarily and without warning raised almost all of their services about four months ago (final straw).

I'm am glad I did because:

* Much improved picture.

* I watch only what I want for free.

* TiVo OTA is heads above Cox DVR in functionality, i.e.: with Cox DVR, you can only go 6 days in the future (never did understand that one), with TiVO, its at least a month.

* $82 a month right off the top of our month bills.

* Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube streaming (available on the TiVO, BluRay or any newer TV) offers limitless content for $9 a month (Netflix).

In short, unless someone is a sports freak, there's really no reason to stay with cable or satellite.

And I will go out on a limb and say that probably 80% (very approx number) of the shows you watch are available via internet.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,896

Millions is a "slight" exaggeration :), but the point is well taken. I just went through the guide and found we view 33 channels and only 1-2 shows on many of those. Some, like Westerns and MeTV, we don't even watch anything regularly. For example, on ESPN2, we ONLY watch NHRA racing. Could we get by without it? Sure, but we'd miss it and we don't have to. Now, when John Force retires, we'll probably lose interest and no longer have a reason for ESPN2. :) Are those 33 channels worth $80 per month? When we consider that each one runs less than $2.50, we think they are. I know it's easy to get upset about pay TV starting at $80, but when you break it down, it's still a bargain when you watch as much as we do. The $20 we spend on the DVR is our choice and we also think that's worth it to free us from fixed schedules and commercials. TiVo will be better because eventually it will be free. Then there's the $70 we pay for internet. There too we have choices and we choose to remain with cable vice switching to DSL, etc., so we can't totally blame cable for the high price of our overall bill. Yes, we could probably save $125 per month by cutting the cord and switching to Century Link, but we don't want to and we don't have to. The bill doesn't negatively affect our standard of living, so we keep paying.

Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but I'm now 67 and my wife is 62. Recurring health problems and the AZ heat doesn't allow her to be on-the-go constantly. For another year or so we also take our granddaughter to/from school and watch over her until our daughter gets home. It's not something we HAVE to do, it's something we WANT to do. So, when we're not traveling to GA to see our other daughter or to WI to visit my relatives, we're pretty sedentary. While we don't vegetate in front of the TV (I read a lot on the patio), it's on all day as background noise. Like many folks might use music, we use News, DIY and Food shows.

Now, when it comes to what we watch regularly, we watch almost every network drama series broadcast. We have over 60 season passes set and they are split about 50-50 between network and cable series. Do we actually CARE about all these shows? No, but they're something to pass the time when we're not physically able to do other things. Once our daughter finishes her teaching degree and moves out, our lifestyle will change and we'll be able to get back on the road more often. We miss taking short trips around the Southwest, etc., but sometimes LIFE just gets in the way. At only 33, you haven't experienced that yet. If I had my way, we'd sell the house to RV fulltime and probably have DirecTV at an even higher cost. We already have cell broadband at $20 per month so we can have internet anywhere we go. With 27 years in the Air Force under our belt, we have family and friends around the country that we like to keep in contact with and visit regularly as we travel to/from GA and WI. Is it all worth it? It is to us.

As far as TiVo goes, I've never argued about it's functionality. However, until recent years, it's had its share of problems with things like SDV and CableCards. Even now, we'll have to give up On Demand and get an adapter for SDV, so it's still not as good as it could be (and I'm not really sure how well SDV works with the adapter). And getting a TiVo might mean that I will no longer be able to control everything with my Harmony remote, something I forgot to consider. The company may be financially stable now, but it's future still depends on litigation and new users to keep the pyramid intact. It's also a gamble. If it breaks when out of warranty, I'm out more money and the amortization period lengthens. With a cable DVR, I don't need to worry about that nor do I need to worry about the future. A new DVR comes out, I simply exchange. With TiVo, I'll be stuck or out more money to upgrade to the next best thing.

I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Technically, my daughter has Netflix and I just piggyback. I have Prime for the shipping and the streaming is a bonus. Truth be told though, I don't use streaming enough from either service to justify the cost there either, but it's a pittance in our overall budget and we enjoy House Of Cards, so I keep paying. I figure I'll use both more once I have direct access with the new TV. Right now Prime is limited to the Roku in the bedroom or the laptop and we'd rather watch hour-long shows than movies. Buying a TiVo means I'll remain tethered to cable, etc., for the next 4 years, so I won't think about cutting the cord again until then.

Oh, and when it comes to availability online, while they are available, most now require a pay TV subscription to watch and it's been that way for a couple of years now. I found that out the last time we were staying with friends in Maryland, I had to sign into my Cox account before I could watch on my tablet. And, even though a lot are available via Netflix/Prime on a 1-yr delayed basis, not all are. I haven't toyed with Hulu+ because I haven't had to, but they might have more shows available sooner, I just don't know. There again, the new TV with direct access might change my opinion. Still, I think it would cost me a lot more to try to watch all my shows via Hulu+ if they are available there. In short, nothing will change for me until sometime next year and then it's only 3 years to pay for the TiVo. Once I get the new TV, I want to make more use of both Netflix and Prime to begin weaning ourselves from the habit of watching network series simply because we can. We currently watch shows like Believe and Crisis, not because they're particularly good, but because they fill a void. I've become increasingly disenchanted with the network offerings the past couple of years and I expect the decline in quality to continue. To be honest, we lost interest in movies years ago for the same reason and that's why we don't watch a lot of movies these days. I've had a gift card to Harkins for over a year now and it's only been used once, for the last Star Trek,. It'll be used again next year for the next Star Trek. :)

So, you see, our viewing habits are quite different than yours and probably most others here. That's why I discuss some of this stuff to death. While I appreciate all the opinions I get, I need to consider them in context and that's now always easy. I'm willing to give up On Demand because 6 tuners should negate a need for it. If TiVo's still had only 2 tuners, that would be a deal-breaker. I'm willing to deal with a CableCard and SDV adapter because Bryan and others have convinced me they work. I might spring for the 3-yr extended warranty, so I don't have to worry much about a failure for the next 4 years. I haven't decided yet if I'll buy from TiVo or Amazon. I think I have 90 days to decide. Since there is no down side that I can see, I'm going to start with just the Roamio and wait on the Mini,. If I'm right about streaming to my tablet connected to the bedroom TV, I won't need the Mini, so why waste the money on it and the service? This way, I might be able to get in a little cheaper.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Boy, there's a lot to respond to here. First and foremost, I'm not 33, I'm 60 so we may be more alike than we originally thought.

I now know you a lot better and understand your traveling and your home viewing tastes and habits. My feelings are:

* I think a new TV with streaming would be a wise first step because it will make Netflix, Prime, etc more seamless for you. It will also perhaps open the door to Hulu+ experimentation (I wish I had experience with that so I could offer my input).

* We are very similar in that our opinions of network programming and recent movie quality. However, we are very different in that I ABHOR network TV, particular the incessant commercials. I simply will not do it, except in very rare instances. So, yeah, $80 a month for me is unacceptable; not so for you, which is of course totally fine.

* We also are similar in going to the movies; in my case, I can't remember during which decade I went.

* Not sure if its coincidence, but 33 channels on the Guide? You didn't mean total, right? There's like 500 or something.

* Finally, unlike you (and, again nothing wrong with it), to have a TV on all day in the background would be like Abu Graibe to me. I run Pandora (free) most of the day; it calms me down, keeps me company and sometimes I hear music I haven't heard. But, I'm a music guy, you sound like a TV guy, but not sure. Again, just different strokes.

So, in summary, think maybe you should move that new TV up a little in your thinking for reasons stated above.

Scott

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,898

Sorry, Scott, I mixed you up with someone else age-wise. You should be flattered though. :)

Anyway, I think you're right about moving the TV up on the priority ladder and now you know the "main" reason why I've been so hesitant to make this decision. After 10+ years, I had expected this old Hitachi to break by now, but it's only gotten a bit washed out in PQ. And while I'm sure I could tear it apart and do some cleaning, I'm at the point where I want a new TV with all the latest features and a new DVR regardless. Your rationale for making the TV my first priority is in line with what I had been thinking all along. Based on previous discussion, I had all but decided to move to a Roamio when the idea for the DVR+ came up and got me to thinking about the alternatives again. In thinking more about that though, I was probably assuming too much, like the ability to record OTA inside motel rooms, and I was discounting the cost because I already have a USB HDD. All in all though, I'm convinced I'd be far better off with a Roamio even though it has a much higher cost. In light of what you just posted, I may give some more thought to the base model. I can't test OTA reception in the family room without moving the bedroom TV because the Hitachi does not have a tuner. I might move the bedroom TV though to do a test with the antenna I have. Being near 75th/Thunderbird, I'm concerned the stucco and some trees will prevent a clear signal and I will NOT put up an antenna, attic or outside. :)

Like I said, I'm not in any hurry, so I'm going to think about what you said about the Samsung TV. I have a feeling it is no worse than any other LED LCD TV. If that's the case, then it's the one for me, but I will look deeper at the Vizio's, especially whatever reviews I can find. I admit I've always liked the Vizio's, but they've had their problems with QC and Samsung has more features and a better track record. I'll look at the feature differences though because I don't want to place too much emphasis on features I might never use. I'll also check out the Vizio thread here to see what you were referring to when it comes to new models. I am now sold on a Roamio though, so now it's just a toss up, base or Plus. I guess I need to run up to Best Buy for a test drive. The only real advantage to the Plus is I wouldn't have to record reruns of cable shows when conflicts occur. There are times when 5 new shows are on at the same time. Right now juggle the recording schedule for cable shows and use On Demand to get them all. However, with the base model, I'd still be able to juggle a bit to get them all and save some money in the long run. I could also then cut the cord at any time in the future. Even if I never connect an antenna to use the OTA part, I'd still have 4 tuners for cable channels, though it would cost me $130 for the Stream. BTW, do you have a Stream with your base model? How about you Chere?

Bottom line is I'm going to get a Roamio along with a new TV. After a trip to Best Buy or Fry's I'll make the decision on which model. However, I just read a review on BB's site that says I can't use OTA and cable together. That makes sense because most devices have a single cable/ant input. Given that, I'm not sure then why I'd opt for the base model since I don't intend to cut the cord any time soon and with the Stream it's almost the same price as the Plus. BTW, will I be able to record 4 shows while watching a recording? Or just 3? I think it's 4, but another review left me confused and maybe TiVo uses a tuner for playback. Likewise, can we watch different recordings on different TVs? I take it none of you had any problems with a unit failing and having to be replaced?

As for commercials, we don't like them either and that's why we watch most shows at night from the DVR. I can deal with daytime commercials because we're almost never really paying attention to what's on, like right now :), we just glace up when we hear something interesting. We're usually on our tablets/laptops or doing other things around the house. I just had another thought, I should be able to stream to my tablet or laptop in the garage or on the patio. That would be nice.

Anyway, I guess there are still a few things to consider, but I'm definitely sold on a Roamio now and can put the other options to bed. I'm not going to do anything though until after I see my doctor tomorrow to get her thoughts my progress and then getting a hands-on at BB. I just thought of Wal-Mart and I'm surprised to see they sell them too for the same price as Amazon. BB is probably a better bet to have a floor model, so I'll try there first. Thanks to everyone who's offered their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The base TiVO model will allow OTA as well as Cox cable via a cable card. I am not doing it so I'm not speaking from personal experience.

However, if you're not going OTA "anytime soon" and don't want to mount an antenna, don't get distracted with that part of this equation. On that note, one neat site is tvfool.com. You can put in your address and get a very good idea of tv channel reception. I used it when choosing, installing and aiming my antenna.

I would also highly recommend Fry's Electronic on T-Bird. Their selection and expertise is much better than BB, at least in my experience.

As far as your recording requirements, they are just too complex for me to comment.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Best Buy is going to charge full retail, but will price match Amazon, and only has a 15 day return policy (unless you are a My Best Buy™ Elite member)

The Best Buy Extended warranty will cover the TiVo and Lifetime subscription transfer should you need it.

TiVo also sells a 2 year and 3 year Extended Warranty that also covers replacement and Lifetime transfer

Amazon's Price is usually the best advertised price.

ABT Electronics has been reported to sell a Roamio Plus as low as $339, just call and inquire
http://www.abt.com/product/72409/TiVo-TCD848000.html

I have seen reports of some Costcos and Sams Clubs clearing out their Christmas inventory of the Roamio Plus for about $300, if you can find one.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tivo-6-tuner-dvr-roamio-plus/prod12290525.ip?navAction=

There are legitimate resellers selling TiVo Promo Discount codes on Ebay, I purchased my Roamio Pro and a Mini with a similar promo code for about 40% of retail.

This seller has some good reviews on the TiVo Community Forums.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Promo-Discount-Sale-Service-Stream-Roamio-Pro-Plus-DVR-Mini-w-Lifetime-/261468630043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce0beac1b

My Roamio Pro w/ Lifetime service was $699.99 plus tax - Same as offered with the above codes

My TiVo Mini w/ Lifetime service was $174 plus tax

10881 - 10900 of 11949 Posts