AVS Forum banner

10901 - 10920 of 11949 Posts

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,901

Bryan,

Thanks for the link. I didn't intend to purchase from Best Buy, just look, though I suspect all they have is the packaged box on the shelf. :)

Would I be correct to assume I purchase the code from eBay and then use it on the TiVo website to place the actual order. If it's that simple, it's worth the $50 and I might consider going all the way with the Pro and Mini. It would be kind of nice to have the space to record entire series to watch during a marathon, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24682063

Bryan,

Would I be correct to assume I purchase the code from eBay and then use it on the TiVo website to place the actual order. If it's that simple, it's worth the $50 and I might consider going all the way with the Pro and Mini. It would be kind of nice to have the space to record entire series to watch during a marathon, etc.

Yes, the code is for use when purchased through the TiVo website, at time of purchase and the code is good for up to 10 TiVos or Minis and service. You might want to split the cost of the code if you know someone also interested in the deal.

EDIT: The seller says his codes are only good for one of each model and Four Minis. (One (1) TiVo Roamio DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Pro DVR, Four (4) TiVo Mini, One (1) TiVo Stream)

Most of these codes have an expiration date so make sure you get that info and purchase before. My code was a TiVo Friends and Family code, given to me by a TiVo employee.

If you purchase retail, there is also a code when activating Lifetime service to save $100 (making the 1st DVR Lifetime, $399.99 instead of $499.99) that Code is PLSR

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,903

Scott,

I know the base Roamio can do both OTA and cable, but with only 1 connector, it can't do both "at the same time", that is what I was getting at. You might ask why I'd want to, it'd be simply to get the better PQ for local channels and still get the cable channels. My bedroom TV works the same way, a single input making it either/or and that's why I don't use the antenna in there at the moment.

And yeah, I'm very familiar with tvfool.com. It can only tell me I'm within range, which I already know from using it years ago and using an antenna in the bedroom to test it for my mother-in-law, but it can't tell me if I can receive from inside my family room with the same antenna. I'm sorry, I should have made that more clear in my posts. If I were anal about PQ though, I know I could connect the antenna to another input on the new TV, but then I'd have to watch live, which I guess would work for sports. Anyway, given Bryan's last post, I'm even more intent on ordering a Plus or Pro and I await his response to my questions.

You made me laugh with your last comment. :)

FWIW, I just noticed I have 5 shows recording at 9:00 tonight; The Mentalist, Crisis, Revenge, TURN, and Drop Dead Diva. This is a perfect example of why I use On Demand at the moment. I record The Mentalist and Crisis live, TURN and Drop Dead Diva in a later timeslot and catch Revenge using on Demand next week or whenever it shows up. A Plus or Pro will negate having to do all that. :)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24682103

Yes, the code is for use when purchased through the TiVo website, at time of purchase and the code is good for up to 10 TiVos or Minis and service. You might want to split the cost of the code if you know someone also interested in the deal.

EDIT: The seller says his codes are only good for one of each model and Four Minis. (One (1) TiVo Roamio DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Pro DVR, Four (4) TiVo Mini, One (1) TiVo Stream)

Most of these codes have an expiration date so make sure you get that info and purchase before. My code was a TiVo Friends and Family code, given to me by a TiVo employee.

If you purchase retail, there is also a code when activating Lifetime service to save $100 (making the 1st DVR Lifetime, $399.99 instead of $499.99) that Code is PLSR
Thanks Bryan, I'll get a code before next weekend and order as soon as the code comes through my email. Seems kind of silly that calling TiVo direct won't get the same deal, doesn't it? That always makes me suspect these eBay offerings. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Wow this thread just woke up

Scott I suggest you lay back and familiarize yourself with the rhythm of this thread as there are some long time members going back well over a decade that are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and opinionated. Although things have been quite here for a long time now, this wasn't the case for the most part. Dave is a dinosaur here ( in a good way Dave
) who has provided invaluable advice to the many of us here especially myself when I joined AVS forum back in 09 and was completely green at the time on anything and everything. For Christ's sake- I can probably hunt a couple of posts from way back when with my deep knowledge and demands as to why there wasn't a perfect DVR out there that incorporated a blu ray player as well as a true media player. Sheesh! I think I even posted my wish specs for such a product and actually waited for something like that to actually materialize
A lot of my questions back then were annoying to many I'm sure but everyone understood for the most part and gave me the the answers (and a hell lot of links when they got tired of me) which gave me the courage to continue to learn which I still do to this day. This thread is pretty open compared to most others when it comes to subjects discussed as long as "HDTV" and "Phoenix" are somewhat included
Heck the only thing I haven't seen discussed here openly is pure politics notwithstanding the FCC.

Dave, I don't have a tivo stream but from everything that I've read I think you've covered all your bases doing your research but now have to decide whether the slight possibility of giving up cable in the future will negate the 2 extra tuners you'll be losing if you go with the base Roamio instead of the pro/ plus. I figure with your viewing habits that won't be the case and I'm pretty sure if it ever came down to it- you can always recoup some of the cost by selling it if needed further down the road. I hear Tivos hold their value pretty well especially one with lifetime service. When it comes to your future set make sure you take your time before you pull the trigger. The biggest advice I can give you is that you get a good delivery and setup included in the cost since these tvs no matter how small their footprints get are still a hassle to repack and return. The bigger the screen size the bigger the screen uniformity issues they're likely to have. And I don't care what people say but that includes plasmas as well although not to a large extent. It all comes down to how much of a videophile you consider yourself to be. I myself over the years have turned into one (thanks avs
). For example, this week's episode of Revolution had a lot of night scenes that showed a lot of posterization on my Panasonic 65VT60 that irked me to no end. You might not be as picky but you should still do your homework and dare I say wait for some of the better 2014 sets to start coming out before you make a decision. I was just on cnet and their best tvs list is pretty bare with most recommended sets being last year's 2013 models.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Chere,

Thanks for the advice. Don't worry-I am no neophyte around here - I'll decide whether I lay back or not. No disrespect, of course.

Dave,

I completely agree with Chere's advice about TV buying. As you know, I went thru two TVs (in 10 days) before settling on my Panasonic VT60. Luckily I have a younger, stronger and more energetic friend who helped me through. Also, "delivery and setup" means different things to different retailers. It all comes down to the guys who show up at your house. Common sense rules (which you have plenty of): have your proposed location clear of extraneous objects, with power, peripheral connections, etc clearly available. Also, do NOT opt for BB calibration if you go the BB route. Keep ALL packaging. Do not sign off & let them leave until you can cycle successfully thru all inputs. They will be in a big hurry, so this will be a challenge. And Chere is correct - BB's return period is different than Fry's. I'd skip the extended warranty, but that's a personal decision.

Above all, your new set will look very different at home than it did in the store. Make sure you give it time.

Oh, and of course, remember (another obvious point people overlook), you'll need an Internet connection near the TV. Again, this subjective but when it comes to video, I much prefer hard-wired vs. wi-fi....lots of data traveling for video vs audio.

I would definitely wait and watch what 2014 has to offer, from Vizio and Samsung.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not a fair comparison of cable and Tivo unless you take the Tivo cost and its subscription cost, divide by 12 and subtract that from the $82 figure.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24682679

Not a fair comparison of cable and Tivo unless you take the Tivo cost and its subscription cost, divide by 12 and subtract that from the $82 figure.

I think this is directed at me....

True, from a math standpoint.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,909

Quote:

I know you're commenting on Scott's post, but my Cox Advanced Preferred TV is now $82.99 without the DVR and the other Pak I subscribe to. I also see I undervalued the DVR and service by $2. I used the old price of $18.50 and it's now $20.49, so payoff will be even sooner than I thought at only 3 years, assuming I can get the same prices as Bryan. It would be even quicker If I opted for the base or Plus models and IMHO that makes it a no brainer to go all the way in and order the Pro. Even with the Mini and extended warranties, I'm still under 4 years, so it's a go unless I get bad news tomorrow. I'm already looking forward to what else I can time-shift and how many more shows I can record for viewing during lull periods. She watches a lot of reruns on Food and HGTV, so I should be able to simply record ALL new episodes of everything and keep her really happy. She also likes some shows on other channels, like Travel and NatGeo, and now we can record those too. Given the info I've received in this latest discussion, I've finally got all I need to be comfortable making this move. Before now, there's always been some element missing.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,910

Chere,

I was not offended in the least by Scott's posts, not even the one time I felt a bit insulted. We do tend to forget how active this thread used to be and who was all around back then, but Scott's been around from the beginning, just not as active. I took all his suggestions in the spirit they were offered. Part of why I've had such a hard time considering a TiVo is because most past discussion included Fan-Boy's and I took most of those comments with a grain of salt, perhaps unfairly. Now, I'm much more comfortable with members like you, Scott and Bryan giving advice when I comes to the TiVo.

I'm not sure what to do about a TV now. The Samsung UNF8000 series gets the C-Net nod as the Best LED LCD over 64". I don't know if that's a 2013 or 2014 model, so I'll do some checking. It's obvious I need to do some in-store research too, so that is on my list for this week.

Chere and Scott,

I completely agree with the comments about the TV. I know about in-store vs at-home as I went through all that with my current set. I'm comfortable with setting things up, but the points about being ready for delivery and cycling through settings are good ones. The router is near the TV now, but might have to be moved a bit depending on the cable length. My current TV sits between two 5' tall curio/equipment cabinets that were part of a rather expensive wood entertainment center. The screen on the current TV sits about 3"-4" in front of the cabinets and my plan is to try to set the new TV on a 24" high credenza and place it fairly even with the front of the cabinets to retain the current décor. I'm not opposed though to ditching the cabinets in favor of just the credenza and streamlining the entire look because I don't think we're going to find a credenza the same width of the TV and then things will look funny.

I'm not hung up on 75" or 80" and glare from the 3 windows that will be on the left side are always a concern. I bought the Hitachi partly because of it's exceptional anti-glare screen and it's worked very well all these years, even from the right side. I doubt I'll be buying from BB, but even if I do, I wouldn't opt for any calibration. I hadn't thought about an extended warranty and usually don't buy them for things like TVs with few moving parts. I'd buy one for the Roamio because I still don't completely trust 3TB HDDs or TiVo QC. I'd probably buy from Costco if I can and use AmEx to pay for it. And unless my TV breaks, I will wait for the 2014 models. It sounds like you're both saying there might be some new things that will make it worthwhile to wait a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24682174

Thanks Bryan, I'll get a code before next weekend and order as soon as the code comes through my email. Seems kind of silly that calling TiVo direct won't get the same deal, doesn't it? That always makes me suspect these eBay offerings.

These prices are fairly standard for several TiVo Discount Programs, Resellers and TiVo's Friends and Family

For example TiVo offers the same pricing to any employee of a retailer that sells TiVos:
http://www.sellmoretivo.com/

SellMoreTiVo

Sales Accommodation Program

Learn about TiVo Roamio™ DVRs and compatible accessories and get your own for a great price!

Complete this short product training lesson to take advantage of this special offer just for sales associates.

You get:

Your choice of TiVo products:

TiVo Roamio DVR

$149.99 + $9.99/mo. service, 1-year commitment required

$499.99 (includes one-time service payment)

TiVo Roamio Plus DVR

$299.99 + $9.99/mo. service, 1-year commitment required

$599.99 (includes one-time service payment)

TiVo Roamio Pro DVR

$399.99 + $9.99/mo. service, 1-year commitment required

$699.99 (includes one-time service payment)

TiVo Mini

$49.99 + $5.99/mo. service, 1-year commitment required

$174.00 (includes one-time service payment)

TiVo Stream

$97.50

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
So $159.98 a month is more than $82.00, and we get much more channels!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24683512

So $159.98 a month is more than $82.00, and we get much more channels!

I don't follow your comments, what are you comparing?

What is $159.98 per month? (not a TiVo)

Cox Advanced TV Preferred is $82.99/mo

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Let's try it this way: $9.99 x 12 = 119.88

$119.88 + 149.99 (the least expensive box) = $269.87

$269.87 / 12 = $22.00 a month. (we do not pay for a Cox box, just the service).

If you own a Tivo unit, the cost does not go away. If you own a more expensive Tivo, the monthly cost goes up.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24684681

If you own a Tivo unit, the cost does not go away. If you own a more expensive Tivo, the monthly cost goes up.
But you're discounting the fact that you can purchase Lifetime service and then the cost for TiVo truly does go away for as long as it lasts. For me, Bryon's cost for the Roamio Pro ($430.39) with Lifetime service ($300) and the cost for a Cox DVR with service ($20.49) minus the cost of a cable card ($2), makes it $730.39 divided by $18.49. That puts the point where the DVR and service will be free at 39.5 months. Getting a base or Plus model will reduce that even further. Had Scott bought his base model with Lifetime service at Bryan's cost, the cost would have been $499.99 divided by $20.49 (he doesn't have a cable card) and it would all be free after only 24.4 months. If he chooses to pay monthly, then that is his choice, but shouldn't be used for comparison purposes (IMO). Assuming I opt for the Pro, Mini and extended warranties, my total cost will be free after 51.3 months. This also shouldn't be used for comparison purposes because I'm adding more items. So, Scott's use of $82 is only misleading for the first 2 years. After that, it's all gravy for him. Even using your figures, they only account for the first year. After that, it's only $9.99 that needs to be deducted. Granted, if he's paying monthly at the discounted price, he's only saving $72+, but I don't think the argument is worth the minutia. I say that tongue in cheek since I delved even further into the minutia. :)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,916

Ok, got some good news today, The appointment with my doctor went much better than expected. My numbers either stayed the same or got slightly better. The extra tests she had done were what she was hoping for, so much so that she's released me from the potassium part of my diet. The puts a lot of things back in our diet that we have been avoiding. She was super pleased with how well I'm doing on the diet, the records I've been keeping, etc., and reiterated that my previous jobs (military and letter carrier) have probably inflated my Creatinine levels and I'm not as bad off as the numbers suggest, though it's still serious and I need to keep doing what I'm doing. She said she wished all her patients took this as seriously as we have. She's confident I can ward off Stage 4 by continuing my diet and exercise and I'll find out how that's going in 3 months. I suspect I'll be on a 3-month schedule now for some time, but I can deal with that and I'm so glad I switch doctors 7 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24684681

So you throw away the TiVo every year and purchase a new one? Completely ignore the Lifetime service option? That is the only way your math works.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I saw them tonight @ Costco. They get a lot back, broken.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24687345

I saw them tonight @ Costco. They get a lot back, broken.

I doubt that many were broken, some chump purchased it, thinking it was just like a VCR, and did not realize it needed a CableCARD and a Subscription to the TiVo service.

Some people just can't read and do basic research before they buy.

10901 - 10920 of 11949 Posts