AVS Forum banner

10921 - 10940 of 11949 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24686738

Ok, got some good news today, The appointment with my doctor went much better than expected. My numbers either stayed the same or got slightly better. The extra tests she had done were what she was hoping for, so much so that she's released me from the potassium part of my diet. The puts a lot of things back in our diet that we have been avoiding. She was super pleased with how well I'm doing on the diet, the records I've been keeping, etc., and reiterated that my previous jobs (military and letter carrier) have probably inflated my Creatinine levels and I'm not as bad off as the numbers suggest, though it's still serious and I need to keep doing what I'm doing. She said she wished all her patients took this as seriously as we have. She's confident I can ward off Stage 4 by continuing my diet and exercise and I'll find out how that's going in 3 months. I suspect I'll be on a 3-month schedule now for some time, but I can deal with that and I'm so glad I switch doctors 7 weeks ago.

I think I speak for all of us on here: this is great news! Congratulations.

Scott

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10890#post_24682157

Scott,

I know the base Roamio can do both OTA and cable, but with only 1 connector, it can't do both "at the same time", that is what I was getting at. You might ask why I'd want to, it'd be simply to get the better PQ for local channels and still get the cable channels. My bedroom TV works the same way, a single input making it either/or and that's why I don't use the antenna in there at the moment.

And yeah, I'm very familiar with tvfool.com. It can only tell me I'm within range, which I already know from using it years ago and using an antenna in the bedroom to test it for my mother-in-law, but it can't tell me if I can receive from inside my family room with the same antenna. I'm sorry, I should have made that more clear in my posts. If I were anal about PQ though, I know I could connect the antenna to another input on the new TV, but then I'd have to watch live, which I guess would work for sports. Anyway, given Bryan's last post, I'm even more intent on ordering a Plus or Pro and I await his response to my questions.

You made me laugh with your last comment.

FWIW, I just noticed I have 5 shows recording at 9:00 tonight; The Mentalist, Crisis, Revenge, TURN, and Drop Dead Diva. This is a perfect example of why I use On Demand at the moment. I record The Mentalist and Crisis live, TURN and Drop Dead Diva in a later timeslot and catch Revenge using on Demand next week or whenever it shows up. A Plus or Pro will negate having to do all that.

Just noticed this post...The basic TiVo gets OTA via a coax jack; it gets cable via a cable card. So, physically, these are two separate inputs on the TiVo. Maybe you are driving at a requirement to say, watch live TV while recording a cable show or vice versa. Since I've never done this, I won't speculate but someone on here or on the TiVo forum (very helpful individuals) should be able to confirm that.

As far as antenna reception, I think you mean tvfool can't tell you if an INDOOR antenna in your bedroom will work or not, which is obviously true. Nothing will tell you that except experimenting with one and returning if it doesn't work. I tried one and it definitely did not work, but my roof antenna works even better than I anticipated, given my tricky location due to mountain reflections. I will say a salesman at Fry's hooked up a cheap RCA antenna inside the store and it worked great. So, who the hell knows.

I'm not going to enter into all the mathematical/financial discussions as I've never been real good at that. I only know this: When I cancelled Cox HD TV with DVR, $82 came off my bill. After about $250 in fixed costs for antenna, TiVo and accessories, and activating NetFlix and TiVo Guide, my monthly costs went back up to $9 + $14.50. That's as financially complex as I want to get.

As we've established, your viewing and recording preferences are much more complicated than mine so my costs are pretty much irrelevant. So, one would wonder why I even brought them up...

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Even though the TiVo Roamio may require a cable card, it still uses the coax input for cable. Or you can also choose OTA antenna. But it is either/or. But the older TiVo Premiere allows dual input coax connection for both cable and antenna.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24688362

Even though the TiVo Roamio may require a cable card, it still uses the coax input for cable. Or you can also choose OTA antenna. But it is either/or. But the older TiVo Premiere allows dual input coax connection for both cable and antenna.
Thanks for the confirmation. That's the way I thought it was, but it's OBE because I've decided to go all in for the Pro and a Mini. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24689359

Thanks for the confirmation. That's the way I thought it was, but it's OBE because I've decided to go all in for the Pro and a Mini.

Yes, I've also confirmed this on the TiVo forum.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,926

Should not have gone to Costco today because I saw the Samsung 65" 4K UN65HU8500 for $3,479.99 and the picture was amazing. However, it was a special feed, so I couldn't compare the PQ to what all the other TVs were showing. It's a 3D and comes with 4 pairs of glasses, something I care nothing about. No, I didn't buy it, but it sure was tempting. I also looked at the 75" ($2,899.99) again and then 80" models from Vizio (M801D-A3 for $3,449.99) and Sharp (LC-80LE642U for only $2,599.99) and I've got to tell you, they looked amazing, even from extreme side angles that would be too much of an angle to watch anything. I did not have time to commander a remote, if they'd let me, to adjust the brightness, etc., to see the effect Scoot mentioned. I may run to Fry's tomorrow, but I think it's probably smarter to research new models before wasting too much time looking at models I probably won't buy. I should say that I'm not willing to overpay just for new models and will probably focus on whatever Costco has when Christmas rolls around. When I bought the Hitachi, I opted for the newest and best I could afford, but I'm become a little more pragmatic since I retired. I was impressed with the picture on the Vizio (pretty much always have been) and could tell the cheaper Sharp wasn't quite as nice. Time to check in on the Vizio thread.

No, I didn't order the Roamio yet, but I did tell my wife that is the plan. My Cox DVR had breakups during 24 and it's happening more and more. Today got too hectic, so maybe tomorrow morning will be less so and I'll get the code from eBay. I'n so ready to pull the trigger. :)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,927

Ok, so I read through some of the Vizio thread and It sounds like the 2014 70" M model will satisfy my needs and not strain the budget like a comparable Samsung would. One thing I'm unclear about is the reviewers references to apps beign sluggish, etc. Now, I understand there are differences between iOS and Android apps, but that's because they use different operating systems and have some different capabilities. However, when it comes to using the Netflix and Amazon Instant Video apps on the Vizio and Samsung, is there that much difference in functionality? My Blue-Ray paly is limited to Netflix and it has fewer features than the app on the Roku. For example, the BR does not allow any kind of search, just the Instant Queue and not even separated by user. Is this the sort of thing I'll be facing as I look at new TVs?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,928

Ok, just to keep everyone up to date, I just completed my order for a Roamio Pro and Mini with Lifetime service using the discount code I bought from the eBay seller Bryan mentioned in an earlier post. It was an easy process with no hiccups and all I need now is an ETA. I got flustered when I couldn't find where to enter the promo code, so I forgot to add the extended warranties. However, I have 90 days to decide if I need one for the Mini, I plan on getting it for the Pro just to be safe. I guess my only question now is should I go to Cox and get the cable card now or wait until the units arrive?

At any rate, the deed has been one and I'm now locked into cable for the foreseeable future. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Very happy for you on the health front Dave. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll continue to be fine.

Those 4K HDTVs I agree with you look amazing but the problem is the simple fact that native 4K content is still a while away. Those same sets are pretty mediocre on 1080p content which you won't get to find out till you try it out at home. Keep a close eye out on those professional reviews as they come out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
TiVo ships from Texas, UPS Ground, so you should have it probably Friday.

I would go to the Cox Store and pick up your CableCARD and Tuning Adapter before you get your TiVo.

Ask for the newest Manufacture Date they can find and that they be sealed in plastic, if they have any.

CableCARD model # does not matter, PKM800, 801, 802 , 803 (most likely it will be a PKM800)

Make sure you get the Tuning Adapter power supply, and power cord, sometimes they forget, you also need the USB cable, and a MoCA POE filter and splitter, if you are going to use MoCA. The POE filter should be attached outside on the incoming Coax, not on the Tuning Adapter as shown in the installation sheet, although one there certainly cannot hurt anything, may even be a benefit. When using MoCA it is not a bad idea to also have a POE filter on your Cable Modem, but unless you start having Internet issues it is not mandatory. Some newer modems already block MoCA frequencies, like the Moto/Arris SB6141.

Tuning Adapter install using the TiVo's On-board MoCA networking, or bridging Ethernet to MoCA
http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf

Tuning Adapter install not using MoCA - All Ethernet
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ROWkwGJipCcUI3WVYxRnpaNlk/edit

Chances are very high the Cox Store employee will not enter the CableCARD and Tuning Adapter on your account correctly. Which will result in problems when you call in to get the CableCARD Authorized and Paired. If that happens they might want to send a tech out. I suggest you ask for supervisor or just call again and get someone else that will take a look at the account codes closely for issues.

Both the Tuning Adapter and the CableCARD will most likely download a firmware update as soon as they are connected and powered on, this will take about 15-20 minutes. A reboot would be a good idea after that completes.

CableCARD Self Install - Cisco

The number to call is 1-877-820-8202

The TiVo does not come with a User Manual it is here:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2716/session/L3NpZC9ta1VCMkVUbA%3D%3D

Any other questions just ask

Bryan

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'll echo what Bryan says about picking up the Cable Card and Tuning Adapter before the Tivo arrives, I did it that way when I added a Roamio from Best Buy's After Christmas Sale.

It made the setup of everything done in less than 20 minutes and 2 weeks ago I upgraded the hard drive to 3tb and had to have the CC re-paired and the process was quick with no problems.

I will add to write down the Cable Card # (starts with PK)before inserting into the Tivo in case there is a problem so you don't have to fiddle around with removing and reinserting the cable card.

As for the Vizio, I have a 2013 model M-series and yes the apps are slow as they use Yahoo! as the main interface. The Netflix interface depends on the TV's firmware, which if you have read the Vizio forums is updated in cycles based on the S/N. At this point I use the Tivo for Netflix as well as MLB.tv streaming and have not had an issue and like the interface for both.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691020

Very happy for you on the health front Dave. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll continue to be fine.

Those 4K HDTVs I agree with you look amazing but the problem is the simple fact that native 4K content is still a while away. Those same sets are pretty mediocre on 1080p content which you won't get to find out till you try it out at home. Keep a close eye out on those professional reviews as they come out.
I doubt I'll spring for a 4K simply because I don't believe we'll see enough content for a long time and even then, I doubt I'll pay the extra it will cost. And, like you said, they look great when special content is on display, but I suspect you're right that they don't add that much, if anything, to what we have available today. I probably need to jo9n the Samsung thread also. They also mentioned reviewed.com, so I'm looking at that too.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691299

I'll echo what Bryan says about picking up the Cable Card and Tuning Adapter before the Tivo arrives, I did it that way when I added a Roamio from Best Buy's After Christmas Sale.

It made the setup of everything done in less than 20 minutes and 2 weeks ago I upgraded the hard drive to 3tb and had to have the CC re-paired and the process was quick with no problems.

I will add to write down the Cable Card # (starts with PK)before inserting into the Tivo in case there is a problem so you don't have to fiddle around with removing and reinserting the cable card.

As for the Vizio, I have a 2013 model M-series and yes the apps are slow as they use Yahoo! as the main interface. The Netflix interface depends on the TV's firmware, which if you have read the Vizio forums is updated in cycles based on the S/N. At this point I use the Tivo for Netflix as well as MLB.tv streaming and have not had an issue and like the interface for both.

Best of Luck.
Thanks, Charles. I intend to write down all the numbers I can before I connect anything and power up. I'm sure the Roamio will come with a Quick Start guide or something to get me going. :)

While some complain about the app interface being slow, it's hard to get a sense without something to compare. I know the Netflix app on my BR player is a lot slower and has fewer features than on my Roku and I guess that applies to TVs as well. I also understand that app features depend on how recent the app is and that older hardware may be limited in what features they can use. I guess I'm assuming that the Netflix app on a new Vizio would be pretty close to the Netflix app on a new Samsung. I opted for the cheaper BR Player when I bought my LG and I don't want to make the same mistake with a TV. It still seems that even with the new Vizio 65"/70" models that are coming, Samsung will still offer a better, more responsive experience. FWIW, the main reason I want to go at least 70" is because the new TVs don't have as much "frame" around them and I don't want the new set to "appear" smaller than what we currently have. The one thing I am concerned about is glare. My daughter had a DLP set when she moved to GA and they ended up putting it in the bedroom and buying a new LCD because of glare in their living room.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691067

TiVo ships from Texas, UPS Ground, so you should have it probably Friday.

I would go to the Cox Store and pick up your CableCARD and Tuning Adapter before you get your TiVo.

Ask for the newest Manufacture Date they can find and that they be sealed in plastic, if they have any.

CableCARD model # does not matter, PKM800, 801, 802 , 803 (most likely it will be a PKM800)

Make sure you get the Tuning Adapter power supply, and power cord, sometimes they forget, you also need the USB cable, and a MoCA POE filter and splitter, if you are going to use MoCA. The POE filter should be attached outside on the incoming Coax, not on the Tuning Adapter as shown in the installation sheet, although one there certainly cannot hurt anything, may even be a benefit. When using MoCA it is not a bad idea to also have a POE filter on your Cable Modem, but unless you start having Internet issues it is not mandatory. Some newer modems already block MoCA frequencies, like the Moto/Arris SB6141.

Tuning Adapter install using the TiVo's On-board MoCA networking, or bridging Ethernet to MoCA
http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf

Tuning Adapter install not using MoCA - All Ethernet
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ROWkwGJipCcUI3WVYxRnpaNlk/edit

Chances are very high the Cox Store employee will not enter the CableCARD and Tuning Adapter on your account correctly. Which will result in problems when you call in to get the CableCARD Authorized and Paired. If that happens they might want to send a tech out. I suggest you ask for supervisor or just call again and get someone else that will take a look at the account codes closely for issues.

Both the Tuning Adapter and the CableCARD will most likely download a firmware update as soon as they are connected and powered on, this will take about 15-20 minutes. A reboot would be a good idea after that completes.

CableCARD Self Install - Cisco

The number to call is 1-877-820-8202

The TiVo does not come with a User Manual it is here:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2716/session/L3NpZC9ta1VCMkVUbA%3D%3D

Any other questions just ask

Bryan
Ok, got it. I'll make sure to get caught up with recordings and have the 8300 moved before I connect the TiVo/TA. Fortunately, we watch things quickly, so that shouldn't be problem. I downloaded the guides to read through before things get here. I must admit you have me a little concerned now though because the incoming cable is already spit once between the 8300 and modem and I'll  have to split it again for the tuning adapter. Thanks again for all the links and help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Dave,

I am saddened and grief-stricken that your life will still include Cox cable.

Your friend,

Scott

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691760

Dave,

Your friend,

Scott

I have to say I would much rather have Cox then "Its Comcastic"..

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691713

I must admit you have me a little concerned now though because the incoming cable is already spit once between the 8300 and modem and I'll  have to split it again for the tuning adapter. Thanks again for all the links and help.

If you can run Ethernet to the Mini, from either the Router or from a switch connected with the Roamio. You could avoid using MoCA and avoid using the splitter with the Tuning Adapter.

TiVo does not recommend or support WiFi for the Mini, But one of my Minis is connected to a 5GHz - DLink DAP-1522 WiFi to Ethernet Bridge and works just fine. I tried a NETGEAR WNCE4004 Wireless Bridge that did not perform as well.

My Router is an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691760

Dave,

Your friend,

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691777

I have to say I would much rather have Cox then "Its Comcastic"..
Now, now, let's not start that all over again. :) As I've said in the past, I've had several different cable systems myself and am familiar with others that my relatives have had. The only one that ever beat Cox in both offerings and customer support was one we had on-base in Colorado Springs and that didn't last for my entire stay there. Eventually they merged with the company off-base and that was that.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691794

If you can run Ethernet to the Mini, from either the Router or from a switch connected with the Roamio. You could avoid using MoCA and avoid using the splitter with the Tuning Adapter.

TiVo does not recommend or support WiFi for the Mini, But one of my Minis is connected to a 5GHz - DLink DAP-1522 WiFi to Ethernet Bridge and works just fine. I tried a NETGEAR WNCE4004 Wireless Bridge that did not perform as well.

My Router is an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band.
Can you explain again why I can't connect the TA like it says on the TiVo website vice the Cox website, but I like the idea of the D-Link instead assuming it will work with my older Linksys WRT-110 router. I'm not opposed to buying a new router and see they have a newer AC66U that's $40 more than the one you have. I assume the D-Link would work with what I have though.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/133

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691899

Can you explain again why I can't connect the TA like it says on the TiVo website vice the Cox website

The TA is a MoCA filter, it will not allow MoCA signals to pass through. If you are using MoCA to connect Minis you have to loop the TA out of the MoCA (Coax) network and have your TiVo coax connection connect directly to the house wiring. If you are not going to use MoCA then there is no need to use the splitter

10921 - 10940 of 11949 Posts