AVS Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 11954 Posts

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,941

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692184

The TA is a MoCA filter, it will not allow MoCA signals to pass through. If you are using MoCA to connect Minis you have to loop the TA out of the MoCA (Coax) network and have your TiVo coax connection connect directly to the house wiring. If you are not going to use MoCA then there is no need to use the splitter
Since Bryan has his Mini on the Net-Gear extender, that would be my preferred way of doing things too. Yeah, it costs a little, but I think it'll make things easier. It's bad enough the TA is even needed. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
So hell has frozen over and Dave is buying a Tivo. Congratulations on the health news. Still trying to figure out what OBE means. Out of Body Experience? Order of the British Empire?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692358

So hell has frozen over and Dave is buying a Tivo. Congratulations on the health news. Still trying to figure out what OBE means. Out of Body Experience? Order of the British Empire?
Yeah, Paul, I've finally caved and have gone over to the dark side. But after paying for my 8300 for 10 years, I don't want to keep paying. I can tell you though that I won't be one of those asking "why did I wait so long?". As you know, I've had my reasons and I'm still okay with them. I will let you know thought if I regret my decision. :)

OBE= Overcome By Events.

BTW, Nice to see some "old" folks still around and checking in. I miss the banter we all used to have back in the early days of HDTV.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692407

Yeah, Paul, I've finally caved and have gone over to the dark side. But after paying for my 8300 for 10 years, I don't want to keep paying. I can tell you though that I won't be one of those asking "why did I wait so long?". As you know, I've had my reasons and I'm still okay with them. I will let you know thought if I regret my decision.

OBE= Overcome By Events.

BTW, Nice to see some "old" folks still around and checking in. I miss the banter we all used to have back in the early days of HDTV.

I switched to the 8742HDC/4742HDC whole home deal nearly a year ago. Pretty pleased with it, although if I had waited another month or so I would have gotten the 6 tuner version. (I don't get too many conflicts and can't seem to watch all the things that get recorded anyway.) If Prism ever comes to my neighborhood I will probably check that out.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692656

I switched to the 8742HDC/4742HDC whole home deal nearly a year ago. Pretty pleased with it, although if I had waited another month or so I would have gotten the 6 tuner version. (I don't get too many conflicts and can't seem to watch all the things that get recorded anyway.) If Prism ever comes to my neighborhood I will probably check that out.
I looked at that too, but just don't really need the whole house and didn't want to pay Cox any more than I already was. I don't even really need the Mini, but decided to get it because of the discount and it will let us relax more in the bedroom more often. I'll probably let my daughter use the Mini until she moves out next spring and then I'll move it to our bedroom. I'm looking forward to the 6 tuners, but I'm really looking forward to being able to keep recording season passes and manage them while we're traveling. Since we're gone 3-4 months out of the year, it was a pain to have to delete many of them because the 8300 could only store 20 hours. If I end up adding a Slingbox, it will be all the better for watching recordings on the road and not being tied to live TV in motels, etc. I also won't miss needing On Demand and it's lack of fast forward.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692914

If I end up adding a Slingbox, it will be all the better for watching recordings on the road and not being tied to live TV in motels, etc. I also won't miss needing On Demand and it's lack of fast forward.

Your TiVo will have the Stream built in. It will allow you to stream all channels live from your TiVo outside of your network. Unfortunately it only lets you stream & download unprotected (locals) recordings. At this time it only works with iOS devices

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24690112

No, I didn't order the Roamio yet, but I did tell my wife that is the plan. My Cox DVR had breakups during 24 and it's happening more and more. Today got too hectic, so maybe tomorrow morning will be less so and I'll get the code from eBay. I'n so ready to pull the trigger.

FYI, I watched 24 live with ClearQAM, and had audio & video breakups (with no DVR.)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24693294

FYI, I watched 24 live with ClearQAM, and had audio & video breakups (with no DVR.)
Well, then that time it could have been the show. However, it's been doing that more and more, especially when I get a certain number of recordings backed up. And it's also been freezing and then rebooting. Sometimes I have to force it to reboot. I was just getting ready to upgrade when the idea of the DVR+ came up and now it's all OBE. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24693213

Your TiVo will have the Stream built in. It will allow you to stream all channels live from your TiVo outside of your network. Unfortunately it only lets you stream & download unprotected (locals) recordings. At this time it only works with iOS devices
Thanks. I forgot all about the Stream and the locals would be the ones I'd primarily want. I don't have an iPad, but relatives in FL, GA and WI do, so I can try it out and see if it would be worth getting one if it doesn't look like Android will ever be supported. I'll look it up, but does the Stream support my laptop? Or is it just tablets and phones?

·
Registered
314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24690933

...At any rate, the deed has been one and I'm now locked into cable for the foreseeable future.

But really, was there ever any doubt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692358

I, too am pleased to hear of the positive news from the doctor. Stick to your doc's plan and I'm sure we'll have many more HD conversations on the Interwebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24692407

Yeah, Paul, I've finally caved and have gone over to the dark side. But after paying for my 8300 for 10 years, I don't want to keep paying. I can tell you though that I won't be one of those asking "why did I wait so long?". As you know, I've had my reasons and I'm still okay with them. I will let you know thought if I regret my decision.

OBE= Overcome By Events.

Geez, what did we have 10 hours of HD programming a week back then?
It did leave a lot of time to chit chat, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24693851

Thanks. I forgot all about the Stream and the locals would be the ones I'd primarily want. I don't have an iPad, but relatives in FL, GA and WI do, so I can try it out and see if it would be worth getting one if it doesn't look like Android will ever be supported. I'll look it up, but does the Stream support my laptop? Or is it just tablets and phones?

Just iDevices at this time. No PC, no Android. TivoCommunity is the destination for anything TiVo related. There you can see the many complaints about the lack of Android support.

One other item with regards to the Stream, you cannot stream or download any channels that are mpeg4, i.e. the Contour channels. The stream does not support mpeg4.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24693974

Just iDevices at this time. No PC, no Android. TivoCommunity is the destination for anything TiVo related. There you can see the many complaints about the lack of Android support.

One other item with regards to the Stream, you cannot stream or download any channels that are mpeg4, i.e. the Contour channels. The stream does not support mpeg4.
Thanks. I registered at Tivo Community, but just haven't had time to read much yet.

I'm not too concerned yet about the Stream functionality as I don't watch much on my mobile devices right now anyway. I mostly want to be able to delete the recordings for shows I do watch while traveling, but since I ordered the Pro, even that is not a big deal since I can easily pare things when I get home.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,953

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24693916

But really, was there ever any doubt?

I, too am pleased to hear of the positive news from the doctor. Stick to your doc's plan and I'm sure we'll have many more HD conversations on the Interwebs.

Geez, what did we have 10 hours of HD programming a week back then?
It did leave a lot of time to chit chat, that's for sure.

No, not really, not until finances force me to or something else comes along. After the price increase, I did the DirecTV calculations again and still couldn't see switching. The problem has always been that DirecTV would force me to get receivers and it all adds up. It would be easy to cut the cord after I get a new TV, but again, if I don't have to financially, I've decided to quit thinking about it and just keep paying. I just have to keep reminding myself that even if I cut, I'd still have a bill for internet. :)

Thanks for the kid thoughts about the doctor. I'm now confident I'm out of the woods and being taken good care of by my new nephrologist. It sure helps that my wife and daughter are right there with me to make sure we all stay on track with the diet. It's renewed our interest in cooking again, finding new things and for a change, I'm willing to try them. :)

10 hours is probably pretty close and at least an hour of that was the Discovery HD loop. :) I do miss the bitrates we had then though.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694426

I did the DirecTV calculations again and still couldn't see switching. The problem has always been that DirecTV would force me to get receivers and it all adds up. It would be easy to cut the cord after I get a new TV, but again, if I don't have to financially, I've decided to quit thinking about it and just keep paying. I just have to keep reminding myself that even if I cut, I'd still have a bill for internet. :)

Not true with DTV, as you probably forgot, I modulate my 2 DVR's so all 5 extra TV's (which do not have a setup box) can view either DVR, and in fact, control either DVR very easily.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694513

Not true with DTV, as you probably forgot, I modulate my 2 DVR's so all 5 extra TV's (which do not have a setup box) can view either DVR, and in fact, control either DVR very easily.
Yeah, I know you've been able to do that, Rich, but there is no way I'd be able to sell that to my 7-yr old granddaughter or her mother, or her mother for that matter.

Even if I could, there is still a never-ending monthly cost involved (though not much).

Based on my neighbor's bill, I wouldn't save any money by switching, even with a single DVR, after the 2nd year.

I'd have to hang cables/dish and have at least 1 new cable run.

Then I'm not sure how much control I'd have over the internet or how much I could view on other devices/internet.

In short, I've kludged things together in the past and I'm not willing to do that anymore. TiVo gives me everything I need at a cost I'm willing to pay and in a manner that everyone should be able to learn how to operate. I'll be honest, the discount was the biggest selling point.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10920#post_24691899

Can you explain again why I can't connect the TA like it says on the TiVo website vice the Cox website, but I like the idea of the D-Link instead assuming it will work with my older Linksys WRT-110 router. I'm not opposed to buying a new router and see they have a newer AC66U that's $40 more than the one you have. I assume the D-Link would work with what I have though.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/133

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

As kingpcgeek said the Tuning Adapter blocks most if not all MoCA signals, the Cisco TA has an integrated RF amp.

Your Linksys WRT-110 router is just single band 2.4GHz, there are 2 models one is just G and the Range Plus is N, either way 2.4GHz has too much competition and is not suitable for real-time streaming of MPEG2 HD video that can reach 15-19 Mbps.

A High Powered Dual-Band router and 5GHz Wireless to Ethernet Bridge would be required for stable streaming. My Dlink DAP-1522 is old, I am sure there are better Bridges available, I cannot recommend anything else I have not tried though. I purchased the newer NETGEAR WNCE4004 and it just was not stable enough, or did not work well with the ASUS RT-N66U.

The ASUS EA-N66 Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Bridge combined with an ASUS RT-N66U router would probably be a good choice.

Powerline Ethernet Adapters may be an option also, I have never used them, so I have no opinion. If you have Aluminum wiring that option is probably out.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694725

As kingpcgeek said the Tuning Adapter blocks most if not all MoCA signals, the Cisco TA has an integrated RF amp.

Your Linksys WRT-110 router is just single band 2.4GHz, there are 2 models one is just G and the Range Plus is N, either way 2.4GHz has too much competition and is not suitable for real-time streaming of MPEG2 HD video that can reach 15-19 Mbps.

A High Powered Dual-Band router and 5GHz Wireless to Ethernet Bridge would be required for stable streaming. My Dlink DAP-1522 is old, I am sure there are better Bridges available, I cannot recommend anything else I have not tried though. I purchased the newer NETGEAR WNCE4004 and it just was not stable enough, or did not work well with the ASUS RT-N66U.

The ASUS EA-N66 Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Bridge combined with an ASUS RT-N66U router would probably be a good choice.

Powerline Ethernet Adapters may be an option also, I have never used them, so I have no opinion. If you have Aluminum wiring that option is probably out.
I knew this was going to be a money pit. :)

I know nothing about dual-band routers, so I need some quick help here. If I'm reading the info on the ASUS website correctly and I replace my WRT-110 with these, I will be able to use both 2.4GHz for our tablets, etc., and 5GHz for streaming to the Mini. If that's correct, then I'll order them from Newegg (Amazon does not have the Bridge) or run back up to Fry's tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694725

I use Powerline Ethernet Adapters between my router and TiVo. To connect the other TiVo and 3 minis I use MoCA. I can't use MoCA from the router to the TiVo because the cable modem is on its own separate non-amplified run at the DMARC. MoCA won't traverse the amplifier.

Powerline Ethernet Adapters have gotten very cheap, down to $20 each when purchased in pairs.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694617

Yeah, I know you've been able to do that, Rich, but there is no way I'd be able to sell that to my 7-yr old granddaughter or her mother, or her mother for that matter.

Even if I could, there is still a never-ending monthly cost involved (though not much).

Based on my neighbor's bill, I wouldn't save any money by switching, even with a single DVR, after the 2nd year.

I'd have to hang cables/dish and have at least 1 new cable run.

Then I'm not sure how much control I'd have over the internet or how much I could view on other devices/internet.

In short, I've kludged things together in the past and I'm not willing to do that anymore. TiVo gives me everything I need at a cost I'm willing to pay and in a manner that everyone should be able to learn how to operate. I'll be honest, the discount was the biggest selling point.
There is no learning curve, it could/would operate exactly as though they were in the same room as the DVR(s)......no difference.

DTV would hang all the cables free of charge, and exactly they way you wanted.

I am not trying to sway you, cause I realize you are going in a different direction, which DTV will not work for your situation.  I am just correcting some fallicies. 

Best of luck, you sound like you are in the correct direction for your situation.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ  /t/451563/phoenix-az-hdtv/10950#post_24694880

I knew this was going to be a money pit.

I know nothing about dual-band routers, so I need some quick help here. If I'm reading the info on the ASUS website correctly and I replace my WRT-110 with these, I will be able to use both 2.4GHz for our tablets, etc., and 5GHz for streaming to the Mini. If that's correct, then I'll order them from Newegg (Amazon does not have the Bridge) or run back up to Fry's tomorrow.

Just use the splitter and use MoCA. As long as your signal levels are fine, it should not be an issue.

What are your Cable Modem Signal Levels: Check and post http://192.168.100.1

My Cable Modem downstream is -2 to -1 dBmV, SNR: 36 dB, upstream Power level 41-44 dBmV

My Roamio Pro's signal levels are between about -2dBmV and -7dBmV (this is before the Roamio's internal RF amp) with SNR between 32-36 dB (Roamio reports 92-98% Signal)

Amazon does have the ASUS EA-N66 Bridge: http://www.amazon.com/EA-N66-Ultra-Fast-Wireless-Repeater-High-Power/dp/B007ZT23ZE

Maybe kingpcgeek can recommend a good Powerline Adapter, that would probably be less expensive, than a new router and bridge.

10941 - 10960 of 11954 Posts