AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple question, but I just want to be sure. I just got my tuner and I'm guessing that since I don't subscribe to DirecTV (yet) I don't need to connect my phone line to the tuner. Am I right? I am only using it to get local, digital OTA stations right now.

RichN

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
My experience with DirectTV and the phone line is that they only require a phone connection if you have more than one receiver at your address, and are paying for that extra receiver with only $4.99/month. They want to be able to address each receiver and/or instruct each receiver to "phone home" randomly to ensure that you actually do have all of those receivers at the billing location (through caller-id, perhaps?).

That was what they told me, that if I couldn't connect both of my receivers to a phone line that they'd have to charge me fully for two separate and independent receivers rather than allowing all my programming on the second receiver for just $4.99. Interestingly, I just added a third receiver last week and they didn't insist that I connect it to a phone line. They simply told me I'd be paying yet another $4.99 for that third box. Maybe they don't care any more about confirming its location, or maybe they just assumed I connected it to a phone line as expected. Maybe I'll find out in a few months.

And of course you would need a phone connection even with only a single receiver if you want to utilize pay-per-view services.

Incidentally, I didn't have phone jack near my primary two receivers, so I bought a set of wireless base/satellite stations (from RCA, I think) at Good Guys. They work perfectly, through the A/C power in my home.

·
Registered
589 Posts
ive had the tuhds20 since february and i have never connected a phone line to it. I use it for directv, ota, and digital and i havent had any problems.

I think(not sure) that you only need a phone line for impulse ppv. But you shouldnt need it anyway since you arent using directv.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.