I was having trouble connecting (the 'modem hung up' problem). Once that got better (not fixed, but better), I started getting the message concerning new phone numbers. About that time, Replay sent the following procedure to clear up my modem problem. Once I did it, I have connected 4 out of 7 days, and the phone number change message went away. Before you try this, though, copy down your current local number in case it disappears, like others have recommended.
The following is from Replay (They do answer their e-mail, although it took a month to get this):
The procedure to connect to RTVS manually is as follows:
1) Press MENU on the ReplayTV remote.
2) Select 'Setup' in the menu.
3) Select 'Change Dialing & Input Settings.'
4) Select 'Continue' to get past phone number to the ZIP Code screen.
5) Select 'Stop' to clear ZIP Code.
6) Select 'Left Arrow' to go back to Telephone Number.
7) Select 'Stop' to clear Telephone Number.
8) Re-enter Area code + first 3 digits of Telephone Number
9) Select 'Continue to Zip code
10) Re-enter Zip Code.
11) Continue to Prefix
12) Enter Prefix if required
ReplayTV will now connect to the RTVS to download the current channel
guide information. If connection fails, wait an hour and try to connect
Connection problems that last longer than a few hours should be considered
If you have any additional questions, please refer to the ReplayTV Hook-Up
Buddy and Online FAQ located on the ReplayTV's Customer Care pages at www.replaytv.com.
Good luck with it. After reading other threads about phone numbers disappearing, or units hanging, I was apprehensive about doing this, but it seemed to work okay. I am in the Los Angeles area, and the phone number I preferred was still there.
A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!