AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether to go with tivo or replay, and one of the things I need to know is whether the number the machine dials everynight for the update will be a long distance call. I heard tivo has an 800 number, but replay does not. Does anyone know where I can go to see if the number replay will dial is a long diatnce call for me? I seen a link on the faq page, but it is not an active link. Also, I know this is the Replay forum, but does anyone have any suggestions on whether to go replay or tivo and why. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ReplayPatrick referred you to ReplayTV's phone look-up. You get the same list of phone numbers that you will get from your ReplayTV unit, but it is really a hassle. The look-up (both WWW and with the unit) has bad logic so you may miss all of the local numbers. Thus I would recommend going to http://www.earthlink.net/accessnumbers/ and checking to see if Earthlink has any local access numbers. If they do, then you will be able to use a local access number (ideally locate a local number from the Earthlink list and enter that prefix information although this doesn't always coax the look-up logic to give you the matching number).

You mentioned TiVo's 800 number. You should be aware that it is no longer free (grandfathered for those who purchased their units prior to ending the free usage but not for new subscribers) so with either system you will be paying phone bills if they don't have a local access number. Sprint/Earthlink advertises that they have the most extensive coverage with local access numbers so ReplayTV is probably a better bet for free local calling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.