Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of any other forum that I can post this question to, so here goes:

I've run new Cat-3 cable from the phone company's NID outside our house to two new jacks for digital cable boxes that each need a phone line for data transfer. I'm using the modular Leviton jacks that Home Depot carries, and I used 2-way butt splices from Ideal to "T" into the two jacks.

The problem I'm experiencing, is that when I add the wires for the new jacks to the voice connection in the NID, I don't get a dial tone anymore. In fact, my primary phone says "Extension in use".

I can't imagine that any conductors are connected incorrectly, unless I'm violating some fundamental concept that I'm not aware of. The modular jacks seem pretty much foolproof, and the butt splices don't even require any stripping, so all I have to do is match up the insulation colors.

Does anybody know where I can get help with this problem? Maybe someone has a suggestion for me?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
300 Posts
The symptoms indicate a "short" somewhere in the new cables, outlets, or connectors. Without test equipment, you'll have to isolate the problem by trial-and-error.

Disconnect one of the new jacks (preferably at the splice), and see if the problem is still there. If there is no change, with either disconnected, check the wire leading to the jacks -- it may be cut, or have a staple through it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I guess I'm not doing anything fundamentally wrong.

I'll probably just run new cable. Is it best to do a home run with each line or should "T"ing off near the jacks be fine?

Is there a phone distribution box of any kind that could make multiple connections at the NID simpler? I'm finding it very difficult to strip the 26 AWG wire - any tips on that?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
Re: Phone Q - Where do I turn?
Well as anyone could tell you, you ask QQQ, of course.

Yes, it is always better to home run the wires. However, the absence of a home run is not what is causing your problem.

The way it is usually done is that only one pair of wires is run to the network interface (one pair for each C/O line) from a central distribution point in the home. That is where you run all of your wires back to, not the network interface (that's not to say you can't do it the way you are, it just doesn't work as well). Then from that central distribution point, you punch down you wires on a device referred to as a punch-down block. Home Depot now sells some versions of these specifically designed for applications such as your. I believe the ones they sell are from Leviton.

Post back if you can't solve the problem.

Quote:
Is there a phone distribution box of any kind that could make multiple connections at the NID simpler? I'm finding it very difficult to strip the 26 AWG wire - any tips on that?
Quote:
Use a cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great suggestions. QQQ, I love your idea of the cigarette lighter for stripping fine gauge wires. I should've thought of that, as the guys on the floor here at work use hot pliers to do that.

I have some questions about the Network box outside the house. We have a DSL internet connection and there are two "plugs" in my box. The one that's plugged into the line 1 slot has "DATA" stamped on it. The one that's plugged into the line 2 slot has "VOICE" stamped on it.

1) I believe the "VOICE" plug is our main line, even though it's plugged into the liine 2 slot - does that make sense?

2) Is this going to affect the wiring convention I use (red and green for line 1, etc)?

3) There are four screws on each plug, but only two are used - are two of them redundant?

If my questions are unclear, I can attach a digital picture once I get home.

As for the home run vs. splicing issue, I'm not sure how reliable these butt splices are, as I've never used them before. Is there an easy way to test the quality of each splice once the wiring is in the walls?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
I have some questions about the Network box outside the house. We have a DSL internet connection and there are two "plugs" in my box. The one that's plugged into the line 1 slot has "DATA" stamped on it. The one that's plugged into the line 2 slot has "VOICE" stamped on it.

1) I believe the "VOICE" plug is our main line, even though it's plugged into the liine 2 slot - does that make sense?

2) Is this going to affect the wiring convention I use (red and green for line 1, etc)?

3) There are four screws on each plug, but only two are used - are two of them redundant?

If my questions are unclear, I can attach a digital picture once I get home.

As for the home run vs. splicing issue, I'm not sure how reliable these butt splices are, as I've never used them before. Is there an easy way to test the quality of each splice once the wiring is in the walls?

Thanks,

Tim
1) The order the lines are positioned in at the Network Interface is meaningless. I have several lines coming into my house but line 1 (on my telephone) is at a completely different position on the network interface. Line 1, line 2, data, fax etc. are ways we categorize things inside the house. The phone company doesn't worry about that with the network interface.

2) I would use the same wiring convention at the network interface that you are going to use inside of the home, just to make it easy and consistent for you.

3) Yes.

I don't know what type of butt splices you are using. Standard butt splices will work but they really are not meant for telephone wire. Here is what I recommend. You do not have to strip back the wires to use these. My local Home Depot store carries them and they are located right near the butt splices. http://www.e-sci.com/jensen/1/61/405/3509.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.