AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New guy here, so please forgive me if I've missed something regarding this topic. A poster at another forum suggested I give this one a shot. I attempted to search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Recently, someone gave me an old turntable (and a bunch of records). Specifically, it is a Technics SL-QD2, with an AT DR200E cartridge. Pedestrian, I understand, but the price was right. The issue I have is that it doesn't have any built-in preamp, and I don't have a receiver capable of applying the requisite RIAA EQ-curve.

Beyond listening, I was also interested in assisting a family member with digitizing (sorry) some of their obscure records. I actually have a small project studio in my house, with decent convertors, and an assortment of software, such as WaveLab.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a simple phono stage / preamp, perhaps under $200.00? I don't believe that I need USB out, as I should be able to get into the box through the front-end of my recording setup. Alternately, would I be better served by simply trying to find a different turntable, in that price range, with an integrated phono-stage? I have also been looking around, locally, for old receivers with phono sections, but have had no luck.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
There are a few TT's that include a preamp and USB output to make it easy to "rip" to digital but the preamp above should do the trick. Emotiva also makes a nice little preamp for $150: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1

If it's old I would pick up a new cartridge as the old one may (further) damage the records. The stylus (tip) may be worn and the suspension within the cartridge is suspect if it is old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's old I would pick up a new cartridge as the old one may (further) damage the records. The stylus (tip) may be worn and the suspension within the cartridge is suspect if it is old.
Interesting information that I hadn't considered. I appreciate the heads-up. The turntable actually belonged to a deceased relative, so I really have no idea just how long it has been installed, or the amount of use it has gotten. Any suggestions on cartridges, or at least what I should be looking at for a basic turntable such as this?

I'll take a look at the suggestions on the preamps. Thanks to both of you for the info.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Unfortunately my TT has been in storage for years so I am not up on current cartridges. Grado, Ortofon, Shure and Sumiko make decently-reviewed models in the $100 range but others can probably give better recommendations for current models. In the past, I liked the sound of Grado but they did not track warped records real well, and somehow I just never got into Ortofon despite its great reputation. I like Sumiko, but Shure has a rep for tracking most anything so I'd probably just get one of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll probably start out with the Shure, then, since I have all sorts of really old vinyl, in assorted states of wear. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts