AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Panasonic S1 42". Unfortunately, I am sensitive to phosphor lag. For the first week, I sat approximately 6.5' from the screen and found the lag very distracting. Games, of course, were worse than movies but I would see a fair amount of lag in my peripheral vision during Blu Ray.

The way I look at it, there are two types of phosphor lag. One is caused by the actual image on the screen (Sin City, Call of Duty 4). The other is caused by the actual movement of your eyes over a high contrast still image. I see this type of lag most notably on the PS3 XMB which is white icons against a black backgrowund.

I have changed my viewing distance to about 10' and have noticed a decrease in phosphor lag . The first type of lag, which is most prevalent during Call of Duty 4 and similar first person games, is still there but it does not catch my eye anywhere near as much as it did at 6.5'. Perhaps this has more to do with me getting used to it and not looking for it.

More importantly, the phosphor lag that is induced by the movement of my eyes (not the actual moving image) is 99% gone at 10'.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
10 feet is quite a distance from a 42 inch display. i sit about 7.5 feet from my 58 inch plasma.

i never notice any phosphor lag on my Samsung. if it is there, i have never seen it. i haven't seen Sin City but i would have to guess that the black and white part of Kill Bill (where she fights the crazy 88) would be similar, and i never saw any green lag behind the white in that scene. i also do some gaming and have never noticed it there either.

it sucks for anybody who see's it.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/17042990

10 feet is quite a distance from a 42 inch display. i sit about 7.5 feet from my 58 inch plasma.

i never notice any phosphor lag on my Samsung. if it is there, i have never seen it. i haven't seen Sin City but i would have to guess that the black and white part of Kill Bill (where she fights the crazy 88) would be similar, and i never saw any green lag behind the white in that scene. i also do some gaming and have never noticed it there either.

it sucks for anybody who see's it.

It is quite a distance. I am thinking about exchanging it for a 50". I just hope that the increase of 6 inches will not bring back the lag caused by my eye movement.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedongtea /forum/post/17043028

It is quite a distance. I am thinking about exchanging it for a 50". I just hope that the increase of 6 inches will not bring back the lag caused by my eye movement.

idk, it might. it's tough to say. hopefully somebody on here will have more knowledge on this subject. it doesn't seem like it's talked about to much on here.

i'm guessing this is what you are seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw_VvFcV1U

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/17043052

idk, it might. it's tough to say. hopefully somebody on here will have more knowledge on this subject. it doesn't seem like it's talked about to much on here.

i'm guessing this is what you are seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw_VvFcV1U

It is. As many have said though, that video is much worse what they look like in real life.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedongtea /forum/post/17043071

It is. As many have said though, that video is much worse what they look like in real life.

so i have heard. that would be really bad if it was that obvious. i'm sure the camera picks it up more than our eyes can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts