AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Toshiba 34HDX82, about five months old. In dark, high contrast scenes with quick motion (ie, a camera panning city lights at night) I often see a subtle green light trail that seems to linger for a moment. It is particularly distracting on high-quality sources, like dvd and HD. From researching this forum and elsewhere, as best I can ascertain this is probably "phosphor lag," the green phosphors just take a split second longer to calm down.

I've calibrated and tweaked the various inputs with Sound & Vision's disc, but the light trails persist. Is there anything else I can do? Is this something that will eventually take care of itself, as the phosphors age and lose some of their staying power (just like the rest of us, I suppose ;) )?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Have you disabled Scan Velocity Modulation?
Yup.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the 34HF81. I haven't noticed what you describe on action scenes, but look at the credits at the end of a movie. LIght or white credits on a black screen as they scroll up. You can see trails on the letters. Hit pause and they dissapear. It is the persistance of the phosphors, and it just part of life with a CRT. Lowering the contrast will reduce it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Lowering the contrast will reduce it.
Thanks. I dialed back the contrast about 10 notches, from 55 to 45, and that has helped. For all the sophistication of these callibaration discs, I guess it's still an inexact science. Of course, Toshiba doesn't make it any easier by leaving their big, colorful menu slapped on the screen while you're trying to see the moving black lines in the black-level test ;) . Although the current sets are better than my experience with their menus on previous generations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.