Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good ideas?

I have a lot on spindles which is messy * i never know what i have

I buy lots of blanks this way and keep it.

I have some in cd pouches but this is also annoying.

Any good ideas to keep them safe, organised and looking nice.

I live in AUS

thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my apologies,

please move this thread to the relevant section. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT POSTED HERE when I selected audio theory!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have two Sony jukeboxes, one for CD's and one for DVD's. I justified the cost by factoring in the cost of storage. I suggest that you price those Sony units. They now hold 300 apiece.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I store CD's in those slim cases which you can buy in packs of 100 for about $10. You can fit twice as many CD's in a given space as standard jewel cases.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho
I store CD's in those slim cases which you can buy in packs of 100 for about $10. You can fit twice as many CD's in a given space as standard jewel cases.
you can do the same thing with DVD's

i dont have very many CD's, but for my DVD's i put them all in a CD case (holds 200) and numbered each disc and each slot. then i have a printout showing what movie is in each slot, along with info about the movie. No more flipping through the case and trying to find something

·
Registered
448 Posts
Of course you can store DVD's that way too. I wasn't thinking about DVD's since I don't have a DVD burner and don't have a lot of them floating around.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
They're pricey (~$120-140US) but the new storage carousels are very nice. Imation makes something called the Stakka and others (DC300 and Caftek are search terms) have keypads on the front and thus can be used without a PC (these are USB-based).

The idea is, you scan the CD or DVD w/your computer, into a database, then insert it into the automated carousel. When you want a disc, you touch the keypad number, or select from the database, and the disc is presented to you.

I've got data & music CDs, and data & music DVDs, stored in slip-cases and jewel cases and slimline jewel cases and sleeved albums and they're all starting to make me crazy.

I really like the DC300 organizer (150 discs, stackable) and loved the old KDS Organizers we had at my company, but just can't bring myself to spend the $$ yet.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The new house did my budget in more than the Kaleidescape. Still, I am not buying seating until the theater is finished and we won't be there until October/November.

·
Registered
569 Posts
UMM, I've always been told electrical equiptment should Never be placed directly on carpet!!! Something about fire hazard. Unless you're well over insured, I humbly suggest a different arrangement or unplugging.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Fisheggs,

I have them elevated now in a portable rack. When I took this photo, I had just unpacked them and was testing connections to make sure I had the network switch properly set-up. However, the reason you don't want them on carpet is due to ventilation and these are set for rack mounting and have no ventilation openings on the top or bottom. All air is forced in through the front and out the back. There is no risk of fire with these on the floor. I wouldn't do that with my amps or any other equipment that needs air to come up from the bottom to help cool the equipment.

FYI, I ran the old server 24/7 directly on the floor in my old house for approximately 7 months.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Is it legal for you to rip the movies for storage? How much do those things cost and what's their capacity?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
jcc, it is legal to use the Kaleidescape, since they have a license from the DVD CCA and they do not "rip" the films but "load" them instead. Generally, ripping is removing the CSS encryption. The Kaleidescape loads the entire .ISO image and doesn't crack the encryption so they don't violate the DMCA.

The Kaleidescape has unlimited capacity, as you can add more drives to their servers and cluster multiple servers together when your existing server is full.

A base Kaleidescape system retails for $22,500 and has one server with capacity for 180 films (expandable to 660 films with the current hard drives they use), one DVD reader and one player. The license on the base system can play back up to 5 streams of DVD and/or HDTV. There is a step up from the base license that allows for 25 simultaneous streams of DVD and/or HDTV.

The picture I posted shows three servers, one DVD reader and the bulk loader (bulk loaders are only available to dealers). Two servers were mine and one was a client's system I was loading discs onto with the bulk loader.

My two servers currently have capacity for 675 DVDs and I could expand them substantially before I need another server.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Laserfan, thanks for the info on those disc storage options, I've been looking for a while...in all the wrong places I guess :D

Mr.Poindexter has a pretty elaborate system in the kaleidescape, one which I hope to emulate in the near future. In another thread (please post pics of your dvd collections) he detailed how it works etc. a very worthwhile product in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I just have all my movies on expandble 8 inch by 4 foot shelfs on the wall. I use the adjustble rails and just add shelfs as needed. Although I'm now up to 327 movies 100 or so are LDs. Which are one 1 13" by 4 foot shelf. I'm running out of space already. I've got 4 dvd shelf 1 ld shelf and1 book shelf. One I have about 6 feet of shelfing for dvds left but right now I use that space for my misc junk. Blank cases dvd drive box. Sotering gun a few tools.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.