AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting the Bravo D1 DVD player from V Inc. I plan on using the DVI connection from the DVD player to my Piano 3100. My question is whether the output will be 600X800 or will the Piano be able to display the complete DVD resolution of 852X450 ? Please advise.

Also if you think for some reason that this will not work with the Piano (using DVI) please let me know.

Thanks

-mahesh-

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
This forum is overrun with the newer PJ's...Piano owners are quietly enjoying their PJ's...no issues. BTW...I responded to your question in the >$5K forum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maheshfd
I am planning on getting the Bravo D1 DVD player from V Inc. I plan on using the DVI connection from the DVD player to my Piano 3100. My question is whether the output will be 600X800 or will the Piano be able to display the complete DVD resolution of 852X450 ? Please advise.

Also if you think for some reason that this will not work with the Piano (using DVI) please let me know.

Thanks

-mahesh-
I got my Bravo and cable last week. Unfortunaletly, I cannot connect it to my Piano 3100 at the moment as my theater is being used for storage. I will give a report as soon as I get my theater back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well folks, I have finally been able to try the Bravo player with the Piano 3100. I bought a DVI-D (5 M) cable from Pacific cable (good stuff). These are my initial impressions for people who may be considering this player for the Piano 3100 or 3200.

The connections:

-Optical for audio (did not want to mess with the issues of coax)

-Component and DVI for video

-Disks part of AOTC and LOTR

After messing with the options was able to set the component settings (it defaults to composite) appropriately to get a decent picture. In DVI, I was able to output both 480p and the DVI gateway. I could not see the difference between the two but went with the 480p setting. I was surprised that the 3100 accepted it. The picture while extremely sharp and saturated, was not complete. The image was off-center (moved to the right) and was missing 5% from the right. I tried everything and checked with service at Piano, and was told that the DVI in the 3100's limits the image to 800x600. Therefore, the 48 of 848 missing information is the 5% lost. I guess they overcame this limitation in the 3200 but I am not sure.

While, I have barely watched a complete movie, my first impression is that if you can live with the missing image you are rewarded by a great picture and the limitation is the projector and not the player. I have not done enough comparisons with the component to determine how much better the image is, but will post when I complete my observations. If you are sitting on the fence considering a Samsung you will still be faced with the same limitation of the partial image being lost (over DVI) with the 3100. I hope this helps some of you piano users in your consideration of this player.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bravo D1 DVD users please advise, component/DVI cable /signals can it be extended for 15 feet?. Does it have to be short distance?. What about sound cable?. Price of Bravo DVD approx??.

Advise.

Regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jamal,

My set up uses 15 ft cables for both component and DVI-D cables without a problem. I am using an optical cable that is 6 ft in length. The DVD player is approx $225 including shipping from V inc. I believe they are on backorder at the moment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any other results with this projector/player combo? I currently have an HE-3100 driven by DVI from an HTPC, but i'd like to get the noisy fans out of the living room (and also reduce the complexity of the my home theater) and am interested in getting the D1 as well. I'm particullarly interested if there was a PJ/DVD setting combo which kept the PJ from cropping the picture.

thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Dave,

I had the D1 for several days with my 3100 and can concur with Mahesh's findings. The 3100's DVI input does limit the image to 800x600 and thus crops the 48 pixels on the right side...image is shifted to the right. Image quality was on par with my HTPC. Because of the Piano's DVI limitation, there would be no combination of settings that would produce an 848x480 image via DVI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.