AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ceiling mounted Piano 3100, Lamplife is rated at 1000 hrs, My first lamp exploded at 190 hrs and was replaced at no charge, the second lamp has just exploded, it had done only 320 hrs, each time lasting lasting 3 mths, any other piano owners having the same problems, would like to hear if anyone has acheived longer lamplife than mine.

Not sure if they will replace the lamp a second time at no charge have to find out tomorrow.

Regards jerry Kahmann

Tasmania Australia

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to here about your bulb problem.

I've had my Piano about a year now...I use it for my main TV (hooked up to the cable box) and DVD's about 3-4 hours a night. I got 956 hrs out of the first bulb, already 251 hrs on the second bulb. How long do you wait before turning off the power? Even though they say you can turn off the power when the light stops flashing, I usually give it another 5-10 minutes to cool off.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Jerry,

From all I've read on the forum, predicting lamp life is more art than science. I've seen recommendations on how to cool/power lamps down to perhaps extend life. Admittedly, my lamp has been abused and not just once or twice but multiple times...i.e. kids/spouse power down w/o or before it's normal flashing cool down period. I myself don't power down consistently...i.e. sometimes an extra 5-10 min as Chancho suggests and sometimes never. Through all of this, my Piano HE3100 is at 852 hours on the original lamp. Those owners who have had many PJ's over many years suggests it's the luck of the draw and in time lamp life averages out over time...hence "average" life. Funny...many PJ manufacturer reps post here...but lamp manufacturer reps are noticeably silent.

Steve Bruzonsky...a future special guest perhaps?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nothing to do with lamp life, but I walked into a dealer's show room this week and saw a Piano 3100 in action with LOTR. This is the first DLP projector I've ever seen and did not notice any rainbows or other artifacts. In fact, the picture looked quite good. Is one supposed to see rainbows on this machine? I'm asking this as I'm slowly starting to wonder whether I'm not a DLP person after all :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Xander,

First a disclaimer: I'm no expert on rainbows by any means...and I have never seen a rainbow. However, my understanding is those who are susceptible to rainbows are sensitive to varying degrees. Some folks will see them on all DLP's. Others who are less or mildly sensitive see fewer or no rainbows as DLP color wheel speed increases. Many people reportedly have seen rainbows on PJ's with 1x and 2x color wheels but fewer or none on 3x, 4x, and 5x color wheels. Another reported factor seems to be related to contrast and brightness...the greater the contrast and brightness the more rainbows are seen.

The Piano has a 4x color wheel and is on the low side of the lumens spec which probably explains why you didn't see rainbows on the 3100. DLP's and LCD's both have their strengths and weaknesses. If you are revisiting DLP's, my recommendation is to begin looking at PJ's with higher color wheel speeds over a variety of material. DLP PJ's that come to mind are the Piano Avanti HE3200, NEC HT1000, Optima H56, Infocus 7200 (Toshiba MT8), and the Sharp Z10000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.