AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pendulum has their last album lossless if you're into electronic type stuff.. immersion I think it was called. I was impressed. Lots of bass, very deep.
yeaaa, got that, very good quality. What black paint did you use for your speaker?

I can still see scratches/swirls in mine, from the rubbing compound... I'm wondering my pads are bad or maybe I'm pushing too hard on the speaker?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
yeaaa, got that, very good quality. What black paint did you use for your speaker?

I can still see scratches/swirls in mine, from the rubbing compound... I'm wondering my pads are bad or maybe I'm pushing too hard on the speaker?

Did you have or just get now?

Rubbing compound - light to medium pressure. It will leave swirl marks. Hit it with glaze after. Again, light to medium pressure. Make sure to use different pads and clean up in between. When the it starts drying up, lighten up on the pressure.

I just used some random black enamel rustoleum rattle can for the black. The clear is what's important.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pad was from last summer, I probably should have washed it before I used it, I haven't washed it since after polishing my center last August. I also think I just pushed too hard, I can see certain areas where I remember pushing it hard across. I will re-do it softer. The shine is quite nice, and it is very smooth, I just noticed some scratches.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Did you have or just get now?

Rubbing compound - light to medium pressure. It will leave swirl marks. Hit it with glaze after. Again, light to medium pressure. Make sure to use different pads and clean up in between. When the it starts drying up, lighten up on the pressure.

I just used some random black enamel rustoleum rattle can for the black. The clear is what's important.

So you can do for a nice, shiny, piano gloss black paint job with standard Rustoleum black enamel in a rattle can? Would the rattle can primer be ok to use as well? If so, any particular primer brands you would recommend, and should the primer and/or base coats be sanded in between coats?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
So you can do for a nice, shiny, piano gloss black paint job with standard Rustoleum black enamel in a rattle can? Would the rattle can primer be ok to use as well? If so, any particular primer brands you would recommend, and should the primer and/or base coats be sanded in between coats?

I used rattle can primer under the black, worked good. The key is the clear coat.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I used rattle can primer under the black, worked good. The key is the clear coat.
Did you sand in between coats of the rattle can primer and rattle can black enamel? How many coats of both primer and base coats did you do, and what grit sand paper did you use for in between coats of primer and base?

What did you use for the clear coats? Did you shoot them with a spray gun? Any advise for a novice with regards to the clear coats and getting the best finish?

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
I look forward to hooking up my sub, probably on Saturday, as I can really tell there is limited bass out of these. I don't really get how it's a 37 hz tuning frequency but there is like no output down there, and the frequency response shows flat to 40 hz?
They aren't tuned to 37hz, they can play to 37hz. Bass down that low will depend on where they are put in the room.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm not sure what Not did, but you have to sand the primer before the base coat for sure, usually between 220 and 400 grit. Sand base coats between 400 and 600 grit, don't sand the final base coat before clear. Then on clear you can do like 800, 1500, 2000, compound, polish or 1000, 2000, compound polish. Like Not said, all that matters is the clear coat, as long as your prime/base isn't awful. The flatter your box, the better the mirror look will be. The way Not did it, I think he has no seams on that front piece, which is the best way to do it. It is stupid hard to do a mirror finish when there are seams. There are a million different ways to do piano black, but in the end it all comes down to wetsand and polish.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
They aren't tuned to 37hz, they can play to 37hz. Bass down that low will depend on where they are put in the room.
That makes sense, I definitely read that they were tuned at 37 hz somewhere, probably someones review and they mixed up extension with tune. I was really confused why they would be tuned at 37 hz, but it makes sense that is wrong.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I'm not sure what Not did, but you have to sand the primer before the base coat for sure, usually between 220 and 400 grit. Sand base coats between 400 and 600 grit, don't sand the final base coat before clear. Then on clear you can do like 800, 1500, 2000, compound, polish or 1000, 2000, compound polish. Like Not said, all that matters is the clear coat, as long as your prime/base isn't awful. The flatter your box, the better the mirror look will be. The way Not did it, I think he has no seams on that front piece, which is the best way to do it. It is stupid hard to do a mirror finish when there are seams. There are a million different ways to do piano black, but in the end it all comes down to wetsand and polish.
This, except I skip 2000. I have air tools so can cut faster with compound. Just gotta make sure the peel is gone and the scratches from the previous grit. good light is key here.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This, except I skip 2000. I have air tools so can cut faster with compound. Just gotta make sure the peel is gone and the scratches from the previous grit. good light is key here.
Yeah, professional rubbing compound is good to remove like down to 1200-1500, I just have the over the shelf meguiar's ultimate compound, which I read can't really do much less than 2000 grit.

What air polisher do you have?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Here's some finished pictures:

Tempests:

Sub:

They sound way better with a sub for sure. After Eq'ing a bit and balancing the sub, I don't think I've ever heard speakers that sound this good. Well maybe at lower volume levels I've heard speakers just as good, but once you turn it up nothing I've ever heard even compares except for 802D2's, but they're $15,000.00 haha.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for the comments guys.

I was going to make another thread to compare them to some commercial speakers, but I think it's pretty pointless now. It wouldn't be fair, it's like comparing the performance of a corvette z06 to a cruze. At low volumes, sure, there's not a big difference, just like a cruze vs corvette driving at 60 mph down the highway with cruise control. Anything that you hear that is noticeable would just be hearing the speakers react with the room. Any $1000 pair of speakers I've ever heard sounds just as good at low volumes, in the main listening position. If comparing low volumes (70 dB average) in positions not ideal, the Tempests are a lot better, especially for movies. Their sound stage is really wide thanks to the wave-guides. At medium volumes (80 dB average), it starts to outperform smaller bookshelves. Decently priced and designed full range towers can still compete at medium volumes (80 dB average), especially if running both speakers full range. But of course, the Tempests aren't designed for full range, you need a subwoofer.

Once you take them to 85 or 90 dB average volume, they start to shine. The Tempests get clearer better sounding, better soundstage. Crazy mid bass with a subwoofer, can feel every note. Can get them to sound like a live show easily. At this volume, most consumer speakers start to struggle. You can start hearing harshness in the tweeters and a bit of muddiness in the bass. Take it to 100 dB, Tempests still sound great, and your ears will start to complain(from SPL, not distortion). Move 20 feet back, they still sound amazing. Every consumer speaker I've ever heard just sounds like garbage at 100 dB except for some crazy high end ones with a ton of power.

Another thing to note is I really dislike the typical "horn" sound of klipsch speakers. These speakers sound NOTHING like klipsch, if I couldn't see the wave guide I would swear they were dome tweeters, until I heard them cranked up of course :).

I really like how the Tempests sound when playing guitars and pianos. They sound so real.

These speakers have actually really improved the surround experience for movies. A lot of strain is removed from the receiver as these are 8 dB louder than most consumer L/R's, which is about 6-7x the power. So these speakers can play the same volume at 10 watts, as other speakers at 60 watts. In most receivers, this is a HUGE distortion % difference. The extra power that is available for the center and surrounds, really makes you feel immersed, and you can tell there's less distortion. When I hook these up to my good receiver, surrounds, and center, in my room with treatments, I expect it to easily surpass IMAX audio quality (my system before this basically did any ways). The large sound stage lets you hear things coming from the front corners of the room.

Only negative is bad recordings sound bad. Studio re-mastered CD's and MFSL re-mastered CD's are a huge improvement on these speakers over original mixes (of "oldish" music). Most modern recordings are great. They are also larger than most speakers, but not that much larger than a typical tower. Maybe a couple inches wider and deeper. I wanted to make a magnetic grill for them, but there was no room for the edges of a grill on the baffle. I would have to have gotten the non-roundovered baffle, but I would rather have round-over and no grill than square edges and a grill.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts