AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the specs (and the projected price) of the Piano Plus, it seems like it would be a great candidate for someone who is primarily interested in NTSC TV and DVDs. It will also handle HD signals, of course, but at a lower resolution.

It also appears to have video processing circuitry by the folks who brought out the great Iscan line doublers, so the handling of NTSC should be about as good as one can get. I mean what projector could be better for this (and DVD) at such a reasonable price?

I know the LT 150 is a current favorite in the low price DLP field, but it would seem the Plus piano has a better video processing for NTSC and a great starting point for people just getting into HT projectors.

Any comments?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi everyone. I need a machine that will work as both a computer projector and video display (VHS, DVD, and eventually HD) for educational outreach. The Piano looks good for this. Anybody have another suggestion in the $2,500 - $4,000 range? Horton

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For presentation use, you'd better go with a brighter PJ as 450 lumens is not enough for use in classroom. PJ like the Sanyo XP18N (2000 lumens 4:3 XGA LCD) or Infocus LP530 (2000 lumens 4:3 XGA DLP) may run you around 4K but will be much more suitable for classroom and HT.

Piano does sound great for DVD and NTSC. It has the new highspeed 4X RGB color wheel (I do believe, could someone confirm please) and is very quiet. This means less rainbows and perfect for HT. It's main weakness is low lumens which means hipower screen and very dark room. It does not do 480p so prog. STB DVD player will be out. It probably does not need 480p with its great internal deinterlacer (it converts 480i to 480p internally). It's SVGA so you'd have less resolution and have to sit further back a little to prevent screendoor. Its dual mode of 848X480 for 16:9 mode and 848X600 for 4:3 mode should mean less scaling and better imaging. It also has DVI and component support which is great for HTPC or STB interlaced players. These features plus 600-700:1 contrast ratio makes it a winner.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=Piano for more discussion.

http://www.plus-vision.com/en/news/2...metheater.html for news release of Plus Piano HE-3100.

www.plus-europe.com/piano/eng_piano_spec.pdf for official specs (needs adobeacrobat).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Huey. Informative and helpful, as always.

I was under the impression that you only got the screen door effect from LCD projectors, but I guess that's not correct. I would suppose you're right and it's simply a function of pixel separtion--or the size of the projected image or the distance you sit from it.

Anyway this is looking like a very good projector for my penny-pinching brother to start with. (He's mainly interested in NTSC, DVD and net surfing.)

Best Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.