AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I spent approximately 60 minutes previewing the Piano. The device was being fed an interlaced component signal. The screen had a gain of 1.3. The projector was located on a coffee table. The sales person indicated that he had not yet tweaked the unit. I can confirm that the colour temperature was set at normal. (see SGHT December issue where the normal setting hovers around 9000K while the warm setting is at the ideal 6500K). Note, I picked up the magazine after my preview. The picture displayed was approximately 80 inches wide in the 16:9 mode and correspondingly narrower in the 4:3 mode. My standing/seating distance was approximately 10 to 14 feet from the screen. The ceiling and back wall were painted flat black, the floor was a dark carpet and the sidewalls were shades of dark gray.

I reviewed snippets of the following movies:

Mon Oncle – Criterion

Mr. Hulot’s Holiday – Criterion

Amarcord – Criterion

Titus – Twentieth Century

Shakespeare in Love – Miramax

Fifth Element (Superbit) – Columbia

Toy Story 2 – Disney Pixar

As a frame of reference I had previously reviewed the 400Q and 10HT when they were first introduced to the market and recently two Runco DLPs (I can’t remember the model numbers - way beyond my budget). Time of course dulls the mind. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the Piano’s presentation. I have been lurking on this forum for many months prior to my recent posts and I was filled with apprehension due to some of the recent posts about the Piano. Well guys, this is one sweet projector. From it diminutive size, its near silence (I suffer from tinnitus and SPLs and their corresponding frequencies are an important parameter for me), its lack of pixilization (screen door) and best of all its smooth, yet to my eyes, detailed picture have won me over.

While watching a movie, I could completely detect the screen door effect at approximately 5 feet from the screen; but, even at this distance it was not bothersome. I currently use a NEC 540 at work for presentations. Screen door at 5 feet, with the same size picture, with the NEC is brutal in comparison. With the Piano at ten feet you would be hard pressed to see it while watching a movie. It blows the 540 out of the water in this regard.

I could not detect any rainbow effect; I darted my head around and flashed my eyes back and forth to no avail. I guess I’m lucky or this projector has eliminated or nearly eliminated the rainbow effect.

The projector was not completely faithful to the colours that I know well from my XBR2 direct view television (calibration using VE). But, I lay the blame on the colour temperature setting (now that I’ve read SGHT) and lack of fine-tuning. None the less, even if I couldn’t adjust the picture further I would still be happy.

I have seen a number of posts on the Internet with pictures of the Piano’s display; none of these pictures do justice to the display that I saw today. I particularly like the film experience exhibited by this projector. I just don't know how to describe it, other that it made me feel like I was in a movie theater.

For my review lighting was kept to a level that you could see across the room but you would not be able to read a document. Shakespeare in Love was wonderful. This projector produced great depth and detail in the costumes and characters. Toy Story 2 was smooth as glass and had tremendous impact. While watching TS2 the lighting was raised to a level that you could comfortably read a magazine. Yes the colours were slightly washed out but still quite acceptable for casual viewing.

Lastly. a surprise or possibly wishful thinking, the sales representative at this shop indicated to me that this unit could possibly be upgraded to accept a HD signal in the future by modifying the software? How I don’t know. He reiterated that there was no guarantee.

Peter

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for this review Peter,

here in France, we still don't know when the piano will finally come out -:(.

One question : did you have the opportunity to compare the piano with the infocus ls110-toshiba mt5 ?

On the paper, those pj seems to be very similar : same dual mode, quality chip for internal process, etc. except that the infocus-toshiba have a zoom. And seems to cost a bit more : 3500euros for Piano, 4700 euros for the infocus-toshiba.

thanks in advance

M.D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M.D.

I have not seen either the LS110 or the MT5. I have had some e-mail correspondence with Infocus; however, they have not responded wrt the availability of this product in Canada. I'm not putting much faith in the release of the MT5 in Canada either as Toshiba Canada (according to a local dealer) would not import the 340 clone. The asking (selling) price for the Piano is $4695 Canadian, while I have no idea as to the eventual price for the LS110.

Johann

The Piano will only take a 480p signal through the DVI D input.

Peter

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an update to my previous post at the start of this thread. I made another trip back to the dealer today. The SGHT article had measured the overscan in excess of 20 pixels on all sides. Using the VE disc, the overscan measured at approximately 4% which correlates well to the SGHT test. For Canadian buyers, the selling price is $4699 Canadian not $4695 as I had indicated. Also, since all sales are processed through Ontario, the PST is not applicable in my Province. But, I’m not certain how this applies to Provinces with a blended PST and GST.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.