AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a picture of the wall I would be using to mount my future 50" plasma. I was reading the details of a few tilt mounts and it appears that the mounts can only accomodate only a certain spacing between the studs. In the picture, I plan to mount the plasma between the windows. The thicker logs are 52" apart.

The questions I have are:

1) Do the two thinner logs qualify as studs too? Can they support the weight of a 50" plasma?

2) If not, what other wall mount options do I have for mounting in the same location?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The "thinner logs" appear to be 2x4s which would be a standard stud. Can't imagine that they'd be anything else. If they are 2x4s, you're fine. (A 2x4 is actually around 1.5"x3.5".)

·
Registered
61 Posts
not in 1920 it wasn't. ;)

I work in a lot of homes, and what is funny is nowadays, if people are replacing lumber and framing in their older homes, we have to custom order all their lumber...rounded corners and everything. And a 2X4 is actually 2X4.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
As I recall a "2x4" is actually something like 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" when finished, as most are.

My concern would be with the heat generated by plasmas. If the plasma is to be fully encased in the wall it seems to me you will need to provide ample cooling to prevent a possible fire.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, if I understand this correctly, what I called the "thinner logs" are not just fillers but are, in fact, "2x4" studs and should be able to carry the weight of a 50" plasma. I was not sure what exactly a stud was (dimensions, load bearing capability, etc.).

dsmith901, The plasma will not be encased in the wall. It will be mounted over the finished drywall just like a regular wall mount.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yes, the 2x4 will be fine for mounting. I have the Panny 42pwd7uy mounted on an articulating arm. The tv can hang on the mount up to 30" away from the wall. The mount has 8 screws that go into the 2x4's.

Just make sure you get the screws in the center of the 2x4's. One easy way to do this is to use a stud finder and then a finish nail. After the stud finder locates the stud, use a finish nail to pound into the drywall and stud. Move to the left and right with the finish nail until you dont hit the stud any longer. With this method you can quickly ensure that you are in the center of the stud. Make sure you drill starter/pilot holes first as well to avoid splitting the wood.

Your 50" plasma should be fine. I think my mount is rated for up to 150 lbs and the 42" weighs about 60lbs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well if you think about it, those studs are holding up either a roof or your second story, so they should be fine for supporting the 50". You'd have to make sure you fasten the mount into the center of each stud/2x4 and use the appropriate size fasteners. If the drywall wasn't there, you could install "blocking" between the studs so that there are fastening points in between the studs. This is what they do for the safety railings in handicapped-accessable homes. Mounting in between windows might not be the best location as others have said, but if it fits there then just make sure your wall mount is fastened properly. The mounts usually specify the size of the fastener, or they give you the right ones in the package.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pj2004
Mounting in between windows might not be the best location as others have said, but if it fits there then just make sure your wall mount is fastened properly.
Actually, no one else mentioned that. I would like to know more. That location works out best in my situation. The only other location is over the fireplace but that limits our viewing angle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmm I think I was getting mixed up with another thread about having sunlight from the windows causing a problem. I would think that unless you have some dark shades/blinds then as you're looking at the TV the sunlight might be shining in your eyes at the same time. This might not be an issue in your case if the windows are facing a certain direction and there isn't a direct sunlight problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your answers guys!

I have a follow up question on this. As you can see from the picture in the first post, the studs are a little off-centered. Can the regular tilt wall mounts accomodate my situation or do I need a special tilt wall mount? I was looking at the Chief tilt wall mount that VA sells for the 50PHD7UY.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out laplasma.com. Their mounts can be mounted any width since they have holes every inch....you can center the mount where you need.

I bought 2 of these and they work great. I installed it with my housekeeper in about 2 hours....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.