AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking now to upgrade the receiver in my theater room. I've got a firm budget of $400 (which rules out the Pioneer 1120 and the Yamaha 667). I've been overwhelmed by the choices in that price range.

From several days of research, I've narrowed it down to the following models. Some of these that are normally beyond my price point can be found as factory-refurbished units with warranties, so I've listed them as such.

1. Pioneer VSX-1020 (new)

2. Onkyo HT-RC260 (refurb or new)

3. Onkyo TX-SR608 (refurb or new)

4. Onkyo HT-RC180 (refurb)

5. Onkyo TX-NR807 (refurb)

I have four HDMI sources (Roku, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, all-region DVD) that I would like to run through the AVR. I currently have a 5.1 setup, but will be adding two speakers after Christmas to make it a 7.1. I do like THX modes, but they are not a deal-breaker - especially since I hear the native Onkyo sound modes can be good. I do not need to interface it with an iPod. Network connectivity allowing Windows 7 to send music to the AVR would be nice, but is certainly not a requirement. Pre-amp outs are also not a requirement, since I tend to just replace the receiver every few years and either sell (via Craiglist) or give away (to family) the previous model.

Primary uses are movies (90%) and music (10%).

TV is a 46" 1080p LCD. It's a Dynex, so upscaling through the AVR may (in this case) be better than what the TV is capable of doing.

The speakers are 99db 8-ohm DCM KX-12 Series II models. I've got them paired with a single 15" sub in a dedicated, but smallish, theater room.

Go ahead - tell me which of the ones above you would choose ... and why.

Thank you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
No one can help you with refurbished choices as they are good or bad on a case by case basis. What do you have against new units? There are plenty of good new choices at that price point.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmical /forum/post/19578130

I'm looking now to upgrade the receiver in my theater room. I've got a firm budget of $400 (which rules out the Pioneer 1120 and the Yamaha 667). I'e been overwhelmed by the choices in that price range.

From several days of research, I've narrowed it down to the following models:

1. Pioneer VSX-1020 (new)

2. Onkyo HT-RC260 (refurb or new)

3. Onkyo TX-SR608 (refurb or new)

4. Onkyo HT-RC180 (refurb)

5. Onkyo TX-NR807 (refurb)

I have four HDMI sources (Roku, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, all-region DVD) that I would like to run through the AVR. I currently have a 5.1 setup, but will be adding two speakers after Christmas to make it a 7.1. I do like THX modes, but they are not a deal-breaker - especially since I hear the native Onkyo sound modes can be good. I do not need to interface it with an iPod. Network connectivity allowing Windows 7 to send music to the AVR would be nice, but is certainly not a requirement. Pre-amp outs are also not a requirement, since I tend to just replace the receiver every few years and either sell (via Craiglist) or give away (to family) the previous model.

Primary uses are movies (90%) and music (10%).

TV is a 46" 1080p LCD. It's a Dynex, so upscaling through the AVR may (in this case) be better than what the TV is capable of doing.

The speakers are 99db 8-ohm DCM KX-12 Series II models. I've got them paired with a single 15" sub in a dedicated, but smallish, theater room.

Go ahead - tell me which of the ones above you would choose ... and why.

Thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19578187

I'd look for a Denon 2310, Denon 890, or perhaps a Yamaha 765 -- since 3D (HDMI 1.4) is not required.

I found the Yamaha (new) within my price range, but both of the Denons are beyond my budget.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJ /forum/post/19578265

No one can help you with refurbished choices as they are good or bad on a case by case basis. What do you have against new units? There are plenty of good new choices at that price point.

DelJ

I just listed those specific ones because I found factory-refurbished units that carry a 1-year warranty within my price range. If I had not specified "refurb", I guarantee someone would reply, "That Onkyo TX-NR807 costs far more than $400!".

I have nothing against new units ... as long as I can settle on one that I like. My benchmark is my Pioneer VSX-1014TX. My father-in-law has offered me $400 for it, as long as I install and configure it (along with his speakers, TV, and DVD player) in his media room at his new house. That's a much better price than I can sell it for locally or online, gives me an opportunity to upgrade ... and it sets my budget for a replacement receiver.

Ignoring the "refurb" designation, how would you feel an Onkyo HT-RC180 fares against the Pioneer-VSX-1020 as far as features/build quality/sound modes, etc? If I can get them for approximately the same price, which way would you go?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just purchased a Sony STR-DH810, which now has a reduced MSRP of only $299. Wonderful sound with rich low tones and tons of features. Runs cool (unlike the hot Onkyo units) and has a small footprint. I don't why so many people here ignore this incredible buy.

I compared it directly to the entry-level Yamaha RX-V367 in my home. I know this isn't much, but it offers a comparison standard. The sound from the Sony unit was clearly better by a wide margin, particularly at the lower frequencies. What was amazing is that the street price difference between these two units is very small.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmical /forum/post/19578320

I just listed those specific ones because I found factory-refurbished units that carry a 1-year warranty within my price range. If I had not specified "refurb", I guarantee someone would reply, "That Onkyo TX-NR807 costs far more than $400!".

I have nothing against new units ... as long as I can settle on one that I like. My benchmark is my Pioneer VSX-1014TX. My father-in-law has offered me $400 for it, as long as I install and configure it (along with his speakers, TV, and DVD player) in his media room at his new house. That's a much better price than I can sell it for locally or online, gives me an opportunity to upgrade ... and it sets my budget for a replacement receiver.

Ignoring the "refurb" designation, how would you feel an Onkyo HT-RC180 fares against the Pioneer-VSX-1020 as far as features/build quality/sound modes, etc? If I can get them for approximately the same price, which way would you go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
For around $380 shipped, I would get the Onkyo TX-SR608. Great receiver, up to date with codecs and HDMI 1.4, good connectivity option.

It fits your budget, and should be a great replacement for the 1014.

I have had good luck with the Onkyo 600 serie, starting with the 602. High quality, good power, decent price performance.

My only complaint is it tends to run hot, which might be an issue if it is enclosed and not ventilated. This has not been an issue with me.

My vote goes for the a new 608. If you can find a refurbished model for less, I'd consider that as well.

That being said, I have always had some interest for the Pioneer receivers, the 1020 looks very good as well. If Internet radio is important to you, it might be a better choice. I tend to prefer a simpler receiver, and having a separate device for Internet/PC connectivity and streaming.

Hope this helps.

Remy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remyx /forum/post/19578810

For around $380 shipped, I would get the Onkyo TX-SR608. Great receiver, up to date with codecs and HDMI 1.4, good connectivity option.

It fits your budget, and should be a great replacement for the 1014.

My vote goes for the a new 608. If you can find a refurbished model for less, I'd consider that as well.

I was leaning toward the 608 as well. I did find it for substantially less than $380 as a refurb. While looking at it, that's when I stumbled upon the larger (but earlier generation) RC180 and the NR807 ... for nearly the same price as a new 608. Since I don't know if I really need HDMI 1.4a, I'm still torn between those. A nice, solid 40lb AVR with network capability and a boatload of other bells and whistles in that price range really has me interested.

Quote:
That being said, I have always had some interest for the Pioneer receivers, the 1020 looks very good as well. If Internet radio is important to you, it might be a better choice. I tend to prefer a simpler receiver, and having a separate device for Internet/PC connectivity and streaming.

I keep seeing that the 1120 is the Pioneer to get over the 1020 when it comes to build quality and features (like the pre-outs). I'm just getting discouraged that the price seems to inch up every day on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'd take the $400 your Grandfather gives you, and then add $80 of your own money to go for the Pioneer 1120.

I mean, for crying out loud, that's less money than one could make in one day by flipping burgers at McDonalds...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19579099

The use the coupon code TECHBARGAINS at Electronics Expo and you'll get up to 40% off.

Thanks - I'll see what that gives me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19579113

I'd take the $400 your Grandfather gives you, and then add $80 of your own money to go for the Pioneer 1120.

You feel the Pioneer 1120 is nearly $100 better than the Onkyo 807 ... for my setup? [Serious question].

It's dangerous to get into the "it's only $x more to move up to ABC". Once I adopt that pattern, I'll probably end up with the Pioneer Elite SC-37

BTW, if I refer to my father-in-law as "Grandfather", I probably won't get the $400

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmical /forum/post/0

Thanks - I'll see what that gives me.

You feel the Pioneer 1120 is nearly $100 better than the Onkyo 807 ... for my setup? [Serious question].

It's dangerous to get into the "it's only $x more to move up to ABC". Once I adopt that pattern, I'll probably end up with the Pioneer Elite SC-37

BTW, if I refer to my father-in-law as "Grandfather", I probably won't get the $400

Actually, since 3D isn't necessary, I'd probably go for the low-priced 807 as well... I was just ribbin' ya!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update (that makes my choice harder):

Found the Pioneer VSX-1120 (new) just barely out of my price range. Now my choices - I'm impatient and would like to order something by tomorrow - appear to be be.

1. Pioneer VSX-1120

2. Onkyo TX-SR608

3. Onkyo TX-NR807

4. Yamaha 765

Last call for opinions!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

What happened to the Denon 1911 which is only $5 above your budget (using coupon code) and also includes the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ over the basic 2EQ in the 608?

I'd say the 807 and 1120 handily destroy the 1911, and even a 2311.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19581057

I'd say the 807 and 1120 handily destroy the 1911, and even a 2311.

I agree - that's why I don't have any Denon's on my list. Either something on my list has better quality/features for a similar price, or has similar features for less money.

The 608 remains on my list as the cheapest of my remaining choices (@$300).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19581114

Google the Yamaha 1065 and you will be surprised at what you can get it for. Better than 765. See below. And to add I have seen it for less than this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CVTOXE/...net_mp-2089-20

Interesting. Did see it for much less at EE .. albeit with $40 shipping.

I've never owned a Yamaha AVR. I've always heard they were better for music than movies, while 90% of my use would be movies.

How are the DSP modes on the Yamaha in comparison to the modes on the high-end Pioneer and Onkyo units? I didn't see any THX modes for the 1065.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts