AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been researching all day, and the biggest lesson I've learned is that it will take way too long to figure all this stuff out. I would take my time with it and figure it out, but I need a new system ASAP since my current system will cut all my speakers except 1 if I turn it up too much. I've just gotten Home Theatres In A Box in the past, which I'm still willing to go with, but I'm thinking maybe something else would be better.

I'm looking to spend $300-700

It will be connected to my PC, have an HDMI out and I think 2 3.5mm outs, I am willing to spend another $100-$200 for a sound card

I think I probably want to go S/PDIF

It should be 5.1 or higher

I will be using it for lossless Music, Movies/TV, Video Games

I think I probably want to get studio reference monitors?

Also I need some speakers for my car. I've got 2 subs in the trunk and the stock speakers cant keep up. I was just going to look for some speakers in the $100-$300 range on crutchfield, but if anyone has a better idea I'm game. I will be listening to V0 and 320 MP3s on my iPod through a USB connection.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If your PC has onboard sound with SPDIF just use that, no difference compared to SPDIF on a sound card.

Do you already have a receiver? Not sure if it's included in the budget.

For car speakers, do you have an amp or just plan on using your deck? Should get an amp + front components and not use rears. For speakers, Hertz (requires local dealer) or Hybrid Audio.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Well $3-700 is still in the HtiB price range..and no nearly enough to afford the new Bose system you have always wanted!

If you can get a used AV rec for 200 dollars, the Energy classic 5.1 would be a good speaker set, for 400 dollars shipped.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-leJi5PV...assic-5-1.html

The SLS Q line gold system can be had for under 400 dollars, which gives you a AV rec (no HDMI, however), speakers and a sub.
http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalog...ineHomeTheater

Polk audio makes a 5.1 system that a lot of people recommend on here...

·
Registered
869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavinorum /forum/post/20865481

No onboard SPDIF, just HDMI and analog. No I dont have a receiver, that is included in the budget.

I was just planning on using my deck, but I could get an amp. Why not rears?

because that is how a proper car install is done, you can have rear fill if you like it

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
For $750-$800 on newegg.com you can get the Onkyo HT-S9400THX. Its 7.1 and the receiver is pretty good the speakers are Onkyo's best, but Onkyo isn't known to make good speakers. Personally I think this is the best HTiB on the market. My uncle has the 9100THX same speakers just different receiver and my step-brother has the 9300THX again same speakers just different receiver from the 9400THX. I think they sound really good for an all in one home theater in a box.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Quote:
No onboard SPDIF, just HDMI and analog. No I dont have a receiver, that is included in the budget.

I was just planning on using my deck, but I could get an amp. Why not rears?

Oh if you have an HDMI why not just use that for sound as well and save $200 by not gettin a sound card.

I definitely suggest that you get an amp and some components. As monsteraudio said, rear speakers are not needed and usually not suggested with good components, although it is a preference thing. For SQ, a front soundstage is usually preferred. If you google the topic you will find a lot of info on it. I'd get a decent 2 chan amp and decent components. Don't be afraid to buy used

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.