AVS Forum banner

Compact Wall Mounted Home Theater Speakers

• Energy Classic Take 5.1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Logan mlt-2

• Mirage Nanosat 5.1

• Other recommendations (commented below)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am having my basement finished and have a pioneer elite vsx-55 receiver and desparetly need assistance picking a compact speaker package.

Basement is 700sqft but the tv area fills about 1/3 of it.

I don't want to spend too much

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Ugh, finishing a basement (which yields the most possibilities for great setup/speakers with the least compromise) and only looking at installing little "architectual" speakers is like working on a classic car project and dropping in a smaller engine than the original stock one!

Those little speakers are great for background music, or for a bedroom set, or for implementing in a room where you absolutely can't put in in-walls or have the speakers' presence be obvious.

What are you doing to make the TV "disappear" into the room? Is it a 22" TV? Or will a painting slide away to reveal the TV behind it?

Why did you get a nice receiver if you're going to pair it with tiny little speakers?

How will you use the system? Who will listen? How loud?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Save $500 in the remodel and up your budget to $1000

Then look at something like DefTech ProMonitor 800s for the 5.0 and then the best sub you can buy for the remaining budget.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Is that 1/3 of the 700 sq ft closed off by a wall? If not, you are going to need a system that can fill 700 sq ft, which is why some of the responses are suggesting the systems you propose won't do. I think a 3.1 system, with towers that have some 5-6 inch woofers. You can get the Polk M70s and matching center for about 500 dollars, then get the best sub you can afford

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk /forum/post/20877928

Is that 1/3 of the 700 sq ft closed off by a wall? If not, you are going to need a system that can fill 700 sq ft, which is why some of the responses are suggesting the systems you propose won't do. I think a 3.1 system, with towers that have some 5-6 inch woofers. You can get the Polk M70s and matching center for about 500 dollars, then get the best sub you can afford

No it's a big open space. I realize I need to go bigger, is there a compromise of a nice looking "smaller" speaker that comes in white but will sound good in a bigger space?

I heard Monitor R180HD in a store that sounded good.

So for a budget of

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20877404

Ugh, finishing a basement (which yields the most possibilities for great setup/speakers with the least compromise) and only looking at installing little "architectual" speakers is like working on a classic car project and dropping in a smaller engine than the original stock one!

Those little speakers are great for background music, or for a bedroom set, or for implementing in a room where you absolutely can't put in in-walls or have the speakers' presence be obvious.

What are you doing to make the TV "disappear" into the room? Is it a 22" TV? Or will a painting slide away to reveal the TV behind it?

Why did you get a nice receiver if you're going to pair it with tiny little speakers?

How will you use the system? Who will listen? How loud?

Ok I get the point

See my post above. The speakers in the poll are out. I'm not a hardcore movie guy but I do want it to sound good when I watch something and the same with music. My original request for small was because I don't want speakers to be the focus of the room. As I mentioned above, is there a white set that I can wall mount and sound good? Such as the monitor r180hd or B&W m1? Because I'm coming from no system, everything in home will sound good. So if I could get some options I can look further.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The R180HD are rear-ported so not a great wall mounted choice.

You can get those DefTechs I suggested in white

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20878095

The R180HD are rear-ported so not a great wall mounted choice.

You can get those DefTechs I suggested in white

I thought the r180hd come with a wall mount. If I remember it does extend it from the wall a small amount. I've heard good things on the def tech speakers, they just aren't pretty to look at like the monitors. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Put some Paradigm in-walls in the walls, where you'll also hide the wiring. The speaker grills are paintable, so even if you decide on some other color for that wall, the speakers will disappear more than even Mirage Nanosats would.

Surrounds can be in-wall or in-ceiling.

Sub may even do better in some out-of-the-way area of the room, behind a couch, next to a chair (get a nice enough finish on it and now it's a side table, which I think should allow you to up the sub's budget, since it's then serving two purposes!
)

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory123 /forum/post/20878134

I thought the r180hd come with a wall mount. If I remember it does extend it from the wall a small amount. I've heard good things on the def tech speakers, they just aren't pretty to look at like the monitors. Any other suggestions?

The 180hd is front ported, and can be wall mounted. If you can

compromise on the color - last year's Radius225, is available at

a great price, in rose mahogany or wallnut - can be wall mounted.
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm

For one on a tight budget - HTD makes a good flat panel speaker in pearl white.
http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-pan...-panel-speaker

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
At the Harman ebay store , they are selling a bunch of the smaller Infinity Primus speakers( here , here ) that is what I would go with over the other satellite systems you listed. Those look like they are ending for around 100 to 150 shipped for a set. Add to that a Hsu STF1 sub, and you have a punchy little surround sound system for less than 500 that will outperform the box sets you have listed above. Here is an auction for the Infinity speakers that just ended at 100.99, that's a great deal.

If it were me though, I would skip the sub, center and surrounds for now and just get a couple of tower speakers, I'd go with the Infinity Primus p363 s, that will go for about 500 shipped if you look, and it will sound much better than a bunch of smaller speakers.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Looking at another perspective...the systems you proposed are WAY BETTER than your TV speakers! They just won't fill the room with sound....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.