AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a 1080p LCD and I noticed that my direct TV HD receiver had HD programming set to "native", meaning it would switch to 720p or 1080i depending on what channel I had it on (like fox is 720p and HBO is 1080i).

Well, I turned off native and now it seems to force every channel to 1080p (not i). Usually I would think that this would just make it look worse because it's trying to put it in a resolution that it doesn't broadcast in, but it looks WAY better. I'm testing it on fox HD right now with the 49ers game...when I put it on 720p is looks like crap, almost like a stretched SD game, but when I put it on 1080p is looks incredible.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I figured it would always look better in its native resolution, but I'm not seeing that be the case.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Dont know if this helps but i keep mine in native(original format).Nothing is broadcast in 1080p except those movies u can order via directtv.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My HR-20 may not act the same as your DVR, but I tried to force mine to output only 1080p by de-selecting all the other resolutions in the DVR menu.

However, that caused the HR20-700 to output everything in 480p, according to my TV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a DVR...I also have the HR-20. I selected 1080p only and all the channels showed it was in 1080p (1920x1080) and the native 720p channels, such as FOX, looked better when I forced it into 1080p for some reason. I thought it would look worse.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Turn off the TV's scaler while you're at it, it's on by default on 90% of displays. The should be a setting for "just scan or "screen fit" that turns on 1:1 pixel mapping. If you don't turn off overscan you are scaling the image TWICE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.