AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a good 200 miles to pick up this screen, but it was worth it. I got a Draper XS850E 132" in 2.35 which comes in a very long box. This was the first time I put together a screen so it took me a little bit, but if doing it again I'm sure it would go much faster. I currently have it set up with a Panasonic 8000u (still need to adjust throw distance). This will be used in my basement so I needed something with ambient light rejection qualities.

Anyway, I am really happy this screen has a massive viewing cone. I have it setup in a basement corner and it's nice to have such a nice looking picture from virtually any angle you look. I'm not sure the "official" viewing angle, but I imagine it must be fairly large. I'm no video scientist, but I think the colors and blacks looks great. I know some others were wondering if it had any sparkles/sheen and I can say there are virtually none when I'm watching tv or movies. On very bright white scenes I don't see any from my seating distance. You would have to have your face on the screen to notice any. Is there hotspotting? Not that I can tell.

Overall, I don't really have anything bad to say about this thing, it's just so nice. I don't have all lights in the basement installed yet, so here are three three pics showing the great viewing angles: Straight on, 45 degrees and a super large angle. Sorry for shaky picture skills with my phone...hehe.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
OP, I'm glad you like it.

I've always wanted to get the XS850E but the price is prohibitive. End up getting the next tier - MS1000V. I wouldn't say it's magic on daytime viewing in my all white room (looks bad but a white screen will look worse), but it's good enough for night time viewing in my all white room.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar  /t/1524643/picked-up-a-draper-xs850e-screen-over-the-weekend#post_24550629

OP, I'm glad you like it.

I've always wanted to get the XS850E but the price is prohibitive. End up getting the next tier - MS1000V. I wouldn't say it's magic on daytime viewing in my all white room (looks bad but a white screen will look worse), but it's good enough for night time viewing in my all white room.

Sounds like this screen is really a disappointment for you. I was thinking of the MS1000V for my family room, but your comment has me thinking otherwise...

Dave

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks  /t/1524643/picked-up-a-draper-xs850e-screen-over-the-weekend#post_24648553

Any chance of pictures with a decent amount of ambient light?

Thanks,

Dave

We normally have the side light and back light on as seen in the first picture when watching sports/tv. For movies we have all lights off. Picture 2 has side light off and picture 3 is all lights off. I still need to install a light above/around the seating area so this is best I can get for now.

Side light (right side) and back light on.

Back light on.

No lights on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts