AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my old JVC I'art 47 RPTV has started developing a greenish tint, the wife let me purchase a new TV. Frys Electronics had what I thought was a good deal on the unit, so I am now the owner of a 720P Plasma. For my eyes the picture is quite nice, considering it only cost me what two new 120gig PS3's and a extra game would go for. Anyways any ideas on a starting point on picture settings? Also I have noticed there is some faint buzzing, but I notice this on my Dad's Panasonic TCP54V10 as well. Its minor but I do hear it.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 /forum/post/18231444

Since my old JVC I'art 47 RPTV has started developing a greenish tint, the wife let me purchase a new TV. Frys Electronics had what I thought was a good deal on the unit, so I am now the owner of a 720P Plasma. For my eyes the picture is quite nice, considering it only cost me what two new 120gig PS3's and a extra game would go for. Anyways any ideas on a starting point on picture settings? Also I have noticed there is some faint buzzing, but I notice this on my Dad's Panasonic TCP54V10 as well. Its minor but I do hear it.

Since your model has just arrived in stores, there is not yet any settings recommendations available. I would advise that you just read through the settings thread for the 2009 B450 models, and follow the same procedures that are recommended by those owners. Here is the link to that thread. Good luck with your new TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1141096

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/18231805

At what distance are you that you can hear the buzz? Do you hear it with any volume on the tv?

I'm only about 9ft away. I can only hear it when there is a very quite passage on what I am watching or the tv is on mute. The room that it is in is a small "den" like room, so if it was in my larger living room where my front Projector is, I most likely would not hear it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/18231863

Since your model has just arrived in stores, there is not yet any settings recommendations available. I would advise that you just read through the settings thread for the 2009 B450 models, and follow the same procedures that are recommended by those owners. Here is the link to that thread. Good luck with your new TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1141096

Thanks for the link. I tried one of the settings, and skin tones looked too red. Going to play with more of the different settings, until I get a chance to finally pick up a calibration disc. Actually it looks nice out of the box on the standard setting. It amazes me just how much the prices have dropped on televisions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased this model on Friday at Fry's in Houston, The picture is stunning, this is supposed to be a 720P model yet when i hooked up my PS3 the tv swapped over to 1920 *[email protected] which is 1080P. I also used my regular DVDs' which was upscaled to 1080i @ 60 FPS. I too here the hum, but then again, I have this in a den, not in my main living room either. I read the manual which states that the hum is from how high you set the contrast and brightness. I found this to be true as when I turned them down, the hum went down just as well. Truly I can only hear this late at night when I watching a movie and I have the Home Theatre system turned was down. This is a new model from what I was told by the salesman at Fry's. The previous model was the PN50B450 which was 50 dollars less. Anyone know why they advertise this set as 720P when it states in the manual it can and does display 1080i and 1080p?. ANother feature is that it is 3D ready.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am building a new house and trying to decide on a Plasma or LCD for the living room. One factor I'm looking at is the amount of glare on the screen from light/reflection.

Does this new Samsung model solve some of those problems with their new screen?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_McCann /forum/post/18232777

I purchased this model on Friday at Fry's in Houston, The picture is stunning, this is supposed to be a 720P model yet when i hooked up my PS3 the tv swapped over to 1920 *[email protected] which is 1080P. I also used my regular DVDs' which was upscaled to 1080i @ 60 FPS. I too here the hum, but then again, I have this in a den, not in my main living room either. I read the manual which states that the hum is from how high you set the contrast and brightness. I found this to be true as when I turned them down, the hum went down just as well. Truly I can only hear this late at night when I watching a movie and I have the Home Theatre system turned was down. This is a new model from what I was told by the salesman at Fry's. The previous model was the PN50B450 which was 50 dollars less. Anyone know why they advertise this set as 720P when it states in the manual it can and does display 1080i and 1080p?. ANother feature is that it is 3D ready.

It is a 720p set (1360x760) but it can display a 1080i/p signal. It then just downconverts to the native resolution.

What do you have your picture settings at?

·
Registered
378 Posts
we want pics!! ;p.......So how are the black levels of these new c450s? Have they improved from 2009s b450? I have a 42" on order, and I'm kind of worried about the buzzing that seems like it hasn't been resolved from the 2009 models. Mine will be going into a fairly small, but quite quiet bedroom - I'm worried it may be too much of an annoyance in such a quiet room.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So how's the picture quality in comparison to your dad's Panasonic? Are black comparabe? Also is there noticeable image retention?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I have seen and heard over the past 7 days of purchasing this unit. I hear a buzzing noise when I have my Home Theatre turned down to a low volume. I have also some IR due to my XMB bar on my PS3, yet it does disappear later. The picture and detail are beautiful to say the least. This set blows away any of my LCD TVs. The buzzing sound is noticeable and I am sitting at 10 ft away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw the 42c450 today and was amazed at the amount of reflection it was catching. This was in a store but still. Worse than the previous u1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This Tv is 3d ready, it has a 3d sync out on the rear panel. I went to the Bestbuy.com site and pulled up the model, but it didn't show the sync out, I pulled up the Samsung PN50b450 last years model and when you do the rear view of the panel it shows the 3d sync out. I don't know why it doesn't show it on the PN50c450, but it is physically there.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen /forum/post/18248378

unbelievable price http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50C450-50-Inch-Plasma-Black/dp/B0036WT3WA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267718797&sr=1-1 . why PN50C450 cheaper than older model B450?

Yeah, thats a strong price. I'd assume its because the C series is more readily available at this point than the discontinued B series.

Side note. Looks like they went with the burgundy TOC on this model as well as the C550(saw it at BB's website). Meh. Personally prefer the charcoal/gray.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Posted this in the owners thread...figured I'd throw it here too..

There seems to be 4 reviews up on amazon for the C430 model..seems to have come out of nowhere - I didn't even know this model was being produced. Looks like this one has one less HDMI input, and may possibly have the charcoal TOC instead of the burgundy like the C450....reviews seems positive...and there's 2 or 3 reports of NON-BUZZING 42"s there as well if you look at the "comments" to the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42C4.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_McCann /forum/post/18247108

This Tv is 3d ready, it has a 3d sync out on the rear panel. I went to the Bestbuy.com site and pulled up the model, but it didn't show the sync out, I pulled up the Samsung PN50b450 last years model and when you do the rear view of the panel it shows the 3d sync out. I don't know why it doesn't show it on the PN50c450, but it is physically there.

hmmmm good eye. Yeah all I could find was that the A450 was 3D ready but not the B or the C. I find it odd that the 450's are 3D ready and not some of Samsungs higher end TV's. Not only that BB or Big River for that matter dont advertise the TV's being 3D ready. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy this set for 694.00 after 25 off

Or step up to 58" Plasma for 1500 bucks at Costco?

Replacing a 51" Sony RPTV.

BTW code for 25 off above is "LS04TOT25499"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts