AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Best Buy tonight and got a deal. They had the S1 for $899 but I had a 12% off coupon. That brought it down to $791. I left and forgot about my 2 free BD discs they are offering with the purchase. Went back in to the store with my reciept and went to the CS desk ad brought it up. He told me to go pick out 2 discs. They had nothing I wanted (low stock) so I got two of the $35 discs (employee of the month and devil/prada) thinking I would exchange them in a week or two.

The guy then said he would get me the two discs by doing a price match on the S1 to $716 or so (the cost of what I paid after 12% off minus the two discs at $35 each + tax) - he then handed me $75 and some change in cash even though I paid for the S1 with me debit card. I then gave it back to him for the 2 discs.

Later I realized he gave me a cash reciept for the two movies. I had my original reciept for the S1 showing I paid $791, and a cahs reciept for the two movies at $75 and osme change. I went to best buy and got a refund in cash on the two BD discs and that brought my total for the S1 at about $716, new in box from best buy.

Thought it was a deal for buying local retail! BTW, I had an S1 for ober a month, and a PS3. Decided to keep the PS3 for BD playback and returned my 1st S1a few days ago. My PS3 crapped out on me and I decided to get the S1 again. I paid $200 less this time

I also have a Toshiba XA2 which I LOVE for its SD playback and HD as well. It had some glitches but they seemed to have dissapeared. The S1 is a fine machine as well. I'm finally 100% happy with my HD players after trying a few models of each format.

Thought Id tell this story in case anyone else wants 12% off of $899 at BB, plus you can still get the two movies free.

·
Premium Member
26,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

I also have a Toshiba XA2 which I LOVE for its SD playback and HD as well. It had some glitches but they seemed to have dissapeared. The S1 is a fine machine as well. I'm finally 100% happy with my HD players after trying a few models of each format.

Weren't you the member that started a thread that said the AX2's were overhyped?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789439

So you now disagree with your original post?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you read all the posts in that thread, including all of mine you would see that I said while it was overhyped by a few forum members, it is still the best HD player on the market IMO. I came from an XA1 so the SD playback was a MINOR upgrade as I was already using an awesome SD machine. This is why I said it was overhyped. Guess you did not read all of my posts.

Also, so what if I started that thread, reporting my experience with the XA2 - what does that have to do with the S1? Out of the HD players I have tried (XA1, A2, XA2, Sony S1, Samsung, Panny, PS3) the XA2 has been the best overall as far as PQ goes in HD and SD. S1 2nd. Both are great players.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

If you read all the posts in that thread, including all of mine you would see that I said while it was overhyped by a few forum members, it is still the best HD player on the market IMO. I came from an XA1 so the SD playback was a MINOR upgrade as I was already using an awesome SD machine. This is why I said it was overhyped. Guess you did not read all of my posts.

Also, so what if I started that thread, reporting my experience with the XA2 - what does that have to do with the S1? Out of the HD players I have tried (XA1, A2, XA2, Sony S1, Samsung, Panny, PS3) the XA2 has been the best overall as far as PQ goes in HD and SD. S1 2nd. Both are great players.

Steve, I'm glad I read your posts. So when got the XA-2 I knew to expect only a minor improvement over the XA-1. In terms of PQ and AQ the improvements are indeed minor. In terms of operability and stability it's significantly better. That's just a fact. Anyone who says the XA-2 picture or audio blows away the A-1/XA-1 probably had a defective A-1/XA-1. JMHO.

How is the SD upconversion on the Sony? The build quality on the S1 looks very good.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
The S1 looks great, if a bit large (much like the XA1 I still kinda want to get) but I really want a saphire with a moving blue face plate like Sony's JDM BDZ-V9. Check that, I wish it was a moving silver transparent face plate.

Price is definitely getting nicer, though. Good kill on that deal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.