AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First off, I hope that I am posting this in the correct place. If not, I apologize in advance and I hope an admin will steer me in the right direction.

I am brand new to projectors, screens or anything that has to do with putting up a "theater". I put theater in quotation marks because really, I would like to be able to move the projector and the screen outdoors to watch movies and sporting events, both in the evening and during the day. I would like to game on it (PC and console), too. I will either like a portable screen, or I will have a separate one for indoor and outdoor. I am coming from a 65" HDTV 1080p, so I would like to projector to have a 1080p output resolution. I am guessing it would have to be really bright, as well.

I have been doing some research and there seems to be 2 different type of projectors, LED and bulbs. I would mind LED because of the long bulb life. My budget for everything is $1000, but I would like to stay below that, if I could.

I really have no idea what to do, or even what to look for. I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance for reading and offering all suggestions and advice.

Testudo

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you are realy on Budget I recommend checking out the Bundles on visualapex.com.

I would suggest trying out the BenQ 850 and compare it to the EPSON 3020. I've had both of them and there's a clear difference in brightness and 3D capability but both are very good Projectors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are realy on Budget I recommend checking out the Bundles on visualapex.com.

I would suggest trying out the BenQ 850 and compare it to the EPSON 3020. I've had both of them and there's a clear difference in brightness and 3D capability but both are very good Projectors.
Thank you very much for your response and suggestions.

Yeah, it is pretty much going to be a party projector, if that makes sense.

Here is what I am looking at:
ViewSonic PJD7820HD 1080p 3D Home Theater Projector (with HDMI, Dual VGA, Composite and S-video)

Is that considered to be okay?

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Almost all projectors are 'okay'.

What is your intended use inside your home?
What is the room like?
How often do you plan to use it?
What is the wall color of the room?
What is the ceiling color?
What is the carpet/floor color?
How big is the room (length/width/height)?
What do you intend to watch on the projector?
Do you intend to mount the projector?
What is your flexibility with mounting the projector?
How far do you intend to sit from the screen?
Do you have a surround sound audio receiver w/HDMI?
What do you intend to use for speakers outdoors?
When do you plan to use the projector outdoors.

There is a fairly long list of projectors which can do a decent job. Under $1,500 the BenQ W1070 (about $700) is one of the best looking models out there and really delivers for overall performance. Going by real world numbers and measurements, instead of just specifications, it delivers more than most. The Epson 8350 or 8345 is nice because it has outstanding placement flexibility which is great for situations where placement may change or be different.
The Viewsonic you listed, is pretty typical of many cheaper models. It has mediocre color or poor color at full brightness, and loses over half the rated brightness when calibrated for decent color output. This makes it dimmer than many other projectors which are designed more accurately out of the box.

Finally, understand that projectors operate best in the dark, and need at least a fairly dark environment to operate in. You may NEVER use a projector in the sunlight or during the daytime without excellent light protection in the screen area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost all projectors are 'okay'.

What is the room like?

There is a fairly long list of projectors which can do a decent job. Under $1,500 the BenQ W1070 (about $700) is one of the best looking models out there and really delivers for overall performance. Going by real world numbers and measurements, instead of just specifications, it delivers more than most. The Epson 8350 or 8345 is nice because it has outstanding placement flexibility which is great for situations where placement may change or be different.
The Viewsonic you listed, is pretty typical of many cheaper models. It has mediocre color or poor color at full brightness, and loses over half the rated brightness when calibrated for decent color output. This makes it dimmer than many other projectors which are designed more accurately out of the box.

Finally, understand that projectors operate best in the dark, and need at least a fairly dark environment to operate in. You may NEVER use a projector in the sunlight or during the daytime without excellent light protection in the screen area.

Thank you for your response!

Let me try to answer:

It is a decent sized room with a big window, but I would like to be able to move it to other rooms in the house with way less light.
What is the room like?
The wall that would be used is big enough to put up whatever size I would like.
Weekend and evenings.
Off-white. I think it is called "toasted cashew" lol.
White
Beige carpet
Length: 19' Width: 13' Height: 8-12' vaulted
720-1080p movies/TV shows - PC & Console gaming
I don't think so. I have a heavy duty tri-pod for now, but may move to media style cart because it will be moved.
I can, but do not necessarily know if I want to.
10-12' indoors - probably the same outdoors, but it will be by a pool.
Not yet, but I have a 5.1 PC Speaker System that I would use for now.
Same thing. They are plenty loud enough.
Whenever I can. I really plan on using it during the day for football games and some video games. And, I will also be definitely using it for movie nights by the pool and backyard.

Although, I do have a budget, I don't mind spending close, if not all, to it if it gets me a great projector that I can use for my needs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
It's very important to understand that projectors don't deal with daylight. Not even close. A $100,000 projector wouldn't deal with daylight. So, you can't project outdoors during the daytime, at all. It's for twilight/after dark use exclusively. The amount of light in the sky during the daytime is just ridiculous.

Much is the same for indoors, but typically you are in a more shaded area. You have to realize, movie theaters aren't 'beige walls, beige floors, and white ceilings' - They are black walls, dark carpet, and black ceilings. That's not a random event that all movie theaters are like this. It's because that's what is required to get an acceptable image.

I would get the BenQ W1070 if you want to try things out. It will deliver a quality image at any size, and you will get an understanding of how ambient light impacts projection performance.

Keep in mind audio from a 5.1 computer speaker set only works with 5.1 computers. Projectors aren't computers, they are more like computer monitors. They are video devices.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's very important to understand that projectors don't deal with daylight. Not even close. A $100,000 projector wouldn't deal with daylight. So, you can't project outdoors during the daytime, at all. It's for twilight/after dark use exclusively. The amount of light in the sky during the daytime is just ridiculous.

Much is the same for indoors, but typically you are in a more shaded area. You have to realize, movie theaters aren't 'beige walls, beige floors, and white ceilings' - They are black walls, dark carpet, and black ceilings. That's not a random event that all movie theaters are like this. It's because that's what is required to get an acceptable image.

I would get the BenQ W1070 if you want to try things out. It will deliver a quality image at any size, and you will get an understanding of how ambient light impacts projection performance.

Keep in mind audio from a 5.1 computer speaker set only works with 5.1 computers. Projectors aren't computers, they are more like computer monitors. They are video devices.
Thank you for your response.

Yeah, this will be more like a starter kit than anything. I want to eventually get to a place where I can build a theater room, but for now it is for fun. I have an area outside where I planned to put the screen and the projector. It is under a very shaded part of the patio that you can see from the pool and both the screen and projector will be under there. I think it will be okay if it is not crystal clear, like it would be at night or in a perfectly dark room, because we will most likely just be watching football games during the day. Movies would definitely be at night.

As for the speakers, I understand that there will not be different channels and the sound will pretty much come out on the same level on each speaker, but I have connectors, whether it be optical audio, 1/8" input or RCA to 1/8" adapter. For now, I am just looking for sound to come out. I thought that maybe the projector would have an 1/8" audio input or optical audio input jacks.

I will certainly check out the BenQ, though. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
The W1070 has a 1/8" audio output connection to feed audio to external speakers. They will be as good as they will be.

You will have issues outdoors. A shaded sky delivers something like 80 lumens per square foot or something ridiculous like that. A good projector delivers about 20-30 lumens per square foot. So, you will have less than a .5:1 contrast ratio. Or, you won't see the image at all during the daytime. Cloudy and shaded may give usable, but poor results.

See:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/wp-...pex_portable-outdoor-screen_movie_daytime.jpg

Just be aware that ambient light is the top issue with front projection quality. It will work well indoors in a shaded room, but rooms with high ambient light, and outside during the daytime are deal breakers. You may get something usable, if the image is small enough and shaded enough, but it won't be in the same class as what you get after dark and may still not be usable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The W1070 has a 1/8" audio output connection to feed audio to external speakers. They will be as good as they will be.

You will have issues outdoors. A shaded sky delivers something like 80 lumens per square foot or something ridiculous like that. A good projector delivers about 20-30 lumens per square foot. So, you will have less than a .5:1 contrast ratio. Or, you won't see the image at all during the daytime. Cloudy and shaded may give usable, but poor results.

See:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/wp-...pex_portable-outdoor-screen_movie_daytime.jpg

Just be aware that ambient light is the top issue with front projection quality. It will work well indoors in a shaded room, but rooms with high ambient light, and outside during the daytime are deal breakers. You may get something usable, if the image is small enough and shaded enough, but it won't be in the same class as what you get after dark and may still not be usable.
Cool. Thank you for your help. I think I may look into just getting a HDTV for the outdoor area, then. I am just a bit hesitant to put it in the elements. Although, it will be protected from the weather, I live in Florida and it is pretty humid.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Cool. Thank you for your help. I think I may look into just getting a HDTV for the outdoor area, then. I am just a bit hesitant to put it in the elements. Although, it will be protected from the weather, I live in Florida and it is pretty humid.
Inside.

It should be inside when it is not in use. Otherwise, it will be dead. Projectors are sensitive electronics. You don't leave your phone or laptop outside for the same reasons you don't leave a projector outside.

Your stuff, but if you want it to have long life, you have to keep it protected completely when not in use, and only use it when the weather is appropriate for any other electronics to be out in the same elements.

Of course you can use it indoors and see how it looks, etc. I would buy an inexpensive model such as the Epson 2000 or the BenQ W1070 to see how you enjoy the setup then go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts