AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have ordered a panasonic 50" v10, but am now unsure as the recent black levels seem like a pretty big issue. Anways, my question is if I don't go with Panny, should I try Samsung or LG? For samsung, i was looking at the b860 and b650. For lg, I had not seen anything in particular yet. I looked at LCD also, but the lag (big gamer) and the S.O.E. both worry me. I think the one thing i notice more than anything else is the Soap Opera Effect. Anyways, I am willing to go with either technology (assuming the previous worries can be avoided), I don't wanna have to go too much higher than $1500, and I may even be willing to wait for the next year models.

Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Wait for the new Pannys. or opt for a Samsung, skip the LGs. I'd go for a Panny over the Sammy. I own both and the Panny seems more bullet proof. Little to no IR as compared to the Sammy. Both look great, my Sammy is pro calibrated and looks stunning, but is a bit more prone to IR.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone from the lcd camp? id be curious to know if there is a good lcd without lag issues, and where the soap opera effect can be removed, or majorlly scaled back

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS5, Fronts: Infinity Primus 362
4,163 Posts
I can't tell you much about the lag issue, as I mostly play JRPG's which don't have lag problems. However with the SOE from Frame Interpolation on 120+hz sets, that can usually be turned off completely. On the newer sets, it can be dialed down or adjusted to just affect Judder or Motion Blur individually or in various levels of combination with each other. I'm sure you would be able to find a setting that you would be comfortable with.

But if lag is a big issue for you, you would probably be better off with a Plasma. Just make sure you follow the break-in procedure to reduce the likelihood of burn-in/image retention.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18131255

So i have ordered a panasonic 50" v10, but am now unsure as the recent black levels seem like a pretty big issue. Anways, my question is if I don't go with Panny, should I try Samsung or LG? For samsung, i was looking at the b860 and b650. For lg, I had not seen anything in particular yet. I looked at LCD also, but the lag (big gamer) and the S.O.E. both worry me. I think the one thing i notice more than anything else is the Soap Opera Effect. Anyways, I am willing to go with either technology (assuming the previous worries can be avoided), I don't wanna have to go too much higher than $1500, and I may even be willing to wait for the next year models.

Any suggestions for me?

I'm in the same boat as you, except my budget is $3,500.

Right now I own a Sony 52XBR4, and Samsung LN-40A650. I'm looking into all the 2010 models coming out. I especially have my eye on Panasonic and Samsung plasmas. I'm also a "big gamer" and hate the S.O.E.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18134122

I never would buy a $1500 50inch LCD,above 40 inch only the best (and most expencive)

lcd's work well.

good to know...and i do want a big screen to watch.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS5, Fronts: Infinity Primus 362
4,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18134122

I never would buy a $1500 50inch LCD,above 40 inch only the best (and most expencive)

lcd's work well.

I agree for the most part. Above 40", the quality of the processor matters greatly. The bigger the screen, the easier it is to see the flaws of the technology.

However there are some LCD's that are reasonably priced (below $1500) that are very good quality. Most especially from Samsung and Sony. (the Samsung LN52A550 comes to mind. only 60hz, but very nice PQ)

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
I would only buy the best/top of the line/ahead of the rest (plasma or lcd) but before buying i would wait 1,2 year(the price has to drop a few times first),a tv that's ahead of the rest will be top after 1,2 year of introduction.(Now i can buy 46XBR8 for $1800)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
saw the xbr8 fully calibrated at best buy, and let me say...WOW. That thing looked amazing. That being said, a little too pricey, and probably still not what im looking for in terms of gaming (lots of FPS games). Too bad, cause that pq was awesome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm both in the market for a new tv, and a online gamer. Lag is an issue for me.

From what I've read here, Panasonics plasmas offer the least amount of lag. You'll have to accept the raising black level issue. Samsungs have the dreaded buzzing.

Choose your poison.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
truth. guess i'll have to write off the beautiful xbr8...if that thing wasnt laggy and if it was a little cheaper, i would buy that baby soooooooo fast. Probably will just stick with the v10...the "bad blacks" are probably still better than the blacks on my current set

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18139378

truth. guess i'll have to write off the beautiful xbr8...if that thing wasnt laggy and if it was a little cheaper, i would buy that baby soooooooo fast. Probably will just stick with the v10...the "bad blacks" are probably still better than the blacks on my current set

I'm leaning somewhat the other way : Samsung.

I think I'd rather deal with some buzzing than the picture quality degrading the second I plug it in.

I haven't made up my mind yet as I'm still waiting to hear from Samsung on taking my current plasma back.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha...seems like there is just no answer that will please me. kuro is too pricey. panny is too black changey. sammy is too buzzy. lcd is too input laggy. dlp is too bulky. i feel like there is no safe option

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18140064

haha...seems like there is just no answer that will please me. kuro is too pricey. panny is too black changey. sammy is too buzzy. lcd is too input laggy. dlp is too bulky. i feel like there is no safe option

I bought the 54S1 bc of the price, lesser known issues (at the time) and mid 50" screen... I'd prolly still buy it.. Black level issues are less irritating then a loud buzz... I personally think the black level issues are blown out of proportion due to some paranoid owners bc of what they've read on this site.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, and if a little ambient light solves the problem, then maybe i dont need to be worried

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i found my tv. I decided to spend twice my original budget on a 101fd kuro 50" monitor. Thanks 6th ave for not telling me you had no more v10's in stock

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
8 years? Come on. You use that as a measure? All but the cheapest crap should last that long. I have a nice TOL Sony that is 22+years old and still running, but that does not mean I'd buy another Sony. the quality then was second to none, today it's been cheapened so much I regard Sony and just another manufacturer, nothing special at all. when you add in the drop in performance at this point I would not buy a Sony. When I was shopping last year I looked at them and did not consider then because their price is inflated vs. performance. I bought Panasonic and Samsung.

SIRLOIN congrats on a fantastic purchase, I wish I had the $$$ to do that, but I bought 3 lesser TVs for what you paid for your one great TV.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ehh...i gotta say i do like the xbr8...that set is pretty nice. Obviously prefer the kuro though or else i wouldve gotten the 8

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.