AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These speakers were made in 1985 and are in mint condition. My wife thinks I've gone nuts because they will replace my nht's, and the size difference is huge. These polks are 63.5 inches tall and about 2 ft wide and weigh in at about 180 lb's apiece. Can't wait to hook em up and blow the walls out.:)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
WoooHooo! Nice find. I currently have a pair of Polk Monitor 12C's (4/6.5", 12" passive, 1 tweet) , a pair of Monitor 10'B's (2/6.5", 10"passive) and a pair of Model 5's (1/6.5", 8"passive)

The 1.2tl's are the ultimate statement (8 mid drivers, 4 tweeters and a 15" passive). Hope you have a good 300+ WPC, they like lots & Lots of power.

I thought the SDA-SRS 1.2TL's came out in 1990....

Anyway, Congrats!:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great Speakers! I originally bought the SDA 1C's when they first came out in 1988. I then sold those and bought a used pair of SRS 2.3's. I love the sound of the older polks. They sound very large.

Vik

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, 1.2tl's introduced in 90? I'll have to check the tweeters when I get there. The 1.2tl's had sl3000 trilaminate domes. On the polk website the vintage section shows these to be 63.5" and the original 1.2 at 63.75". These have the correct dimensions and weight as the tl's. I have not looked at these in some 5 yrs. They have been stored since then. Finally got the original owner to agree to sell them. 2k is the best I could do.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
strike,

Congrats! There is nothing in the world like a pair of speakers that flat out look like they are invading the room. I remember those speakers when I was in high school and that was the first pair of oversized speakers I wanted. I never got them, but I was able to get some rather largish speakers recently...

I think that you will be VERY happy with them. I do not recall how they sounded, but I have heard good things about them.

Please post some pics when you get them. I would love to see them in a natural setting like somebody's living room.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If I could find a nice pair within 500 miles of St Louis for 2K, I would be posting a similar thread! I wouldnt trust shipping those monsters.

Enjoy the music!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, you may be correct about the 1.2tl's age. These indeed have the silver dome tweeter's which are sl2000's, not the sl3000's that were in the tl's. And these are 1988 models not 85's. So I'm not completely convinced I know what series these are beyond sda-srs's with 8 driver's, 4 tweeter's, and the passive 15" sub. I hooked on em. Got em home. And man, am I hooked on em. These speakers are so strong my nht sub can't keep up. I mean it's a whole new level of quality sound! Now my wife understands my passion for these goliath's of sound. Thanks Mr. Poindexter for the congrats, and you should've had a turn with these "largish" units. Just wanted to let you guy's know they sound better than my expectations, and am thoroughly pleased.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Strike,

I would have liked a bit of time with them, but I was much younger and wouldn't have had the appreciation for them I should. Besides, I wouldn't have been looking for my Infinity Kappas if I had these and now that I am in IRS land, I have no regrets.

Any pictures to share?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those models were all available at the local Good Guys when I purchased my SDA 1C's. I think they were just called SDA-SRS. They also had SDA-SRS2 which was 4 drivers, 2 tweets, 15"passive. The SDA 1C which is what I bought was 4 drivers, 2 tweets and 12" passive. Later came the 2.3's and 1.2 TL's

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.