AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to these pages:

...Criterion will have Picnic at Hanging Rock in June.

It's been a long wait. This is one of the few remaining "must have" titles on my want list.

Here is a capsule review I did several years ago: Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) . And here are thumbnails from the Criterion DVD, which was 4:3 letterboxed, not anamorphic:

-Bill

·
Registered
773 Posts
Really excited about this one. I have the DVD and it's one of the better looking ones I own. Really fantastic cinematography. Should look absolutely gorgeous on bluray.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the region B Blu-ray of "Picnic at Hanging Rock" issued by Second Sight, which has a high def transfer supervised by Peter Weir. I found the transfer to be quite noisy and grainy, not surprising for a low budget film from the 70's. Oddly, this transfer is framed at 16:9, which is good for today's high def sets, but very unlikely to be the original aspect ratio. Also a few scenes were trimmed for this "Director's Cut" (they are included in the many extras). Anyway, I'm wondering if the Criterion version will have a different mastering and if they will use a lot of digital noise reduction

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen it and am very pleased. Gorgeous images. The disc includes several extras and Homesdale (1971), an early short film from Weir.

I've attached a few full-size images. I saved them as png, but the forum was giving me an error (files too large?) so I converted them to jpg.

-Bill

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts