AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum, but didnt get any hits. Been reading about running PVC conduit for the wiring, but can't quite picture how to set it up in the framing. Were getting ready to FINALLY start framing our basement in a few weeks, and am trying get some ideas. If any of you guys have pics of your conduit projects could you post them up.

Also, since i'll be dry walling my ceiling, is there a specific access panel that you install to get to the conduit opening for future access? that's the part i'm having hard time visualizing.

Thanks

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 /forum/post/18202401

is there a specific access panel that you install to get to the conduit opening for future access? that's the part i'm having hard time visualizing.

Most Projector wire conduits go from your equipment stack to a decorative cover plate on the ceiling there are no openings requiring access.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
4" conduit with branch to my primary projector location, and run continuing to a farther location for future proofing. You can also see mud ring:

Secondary location:

Equipment-end of conduit exiting at top of equipment rack location. Not pull string for ease of pulling wiring later:

Blurry shot, but you can just make out the conduit at the top running in between the trusses, and then making the turn in the soffit towards the equipment rack (you an also see where I bult a support and used stapping to secrure the pipe:

Shots of final location with projector mount centered over conduit outlet location:

If I had it to do over again, I'd re-consider the area where I made the drop in to the soffit and the right-turn to the equipment rack. I used two 90's back to back, I'd try to see if I could do two 45's (at angles) instead. I got away with it because the 4" PVC has a pretty gradual sweep, but pulling cable was a bit harder than I had hoped for. If going any smaller than 4" diameter, consider grey electrical PVC... it has larger turn radius' for exactly this reason.

The rest of the pics are HERE

-sc

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Here is a pic of my pj conduit before drywall. I built a pj box so no cover plate in this setup, but if you wanted, you could terminate this end of the conduit in a "new work" LV box (probably 2 gang) attached to the framing or a "old work" LV box attached to the drywall with either covered by decorative plate:

The other end of the conduit terminates here at the eq rack location:

Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the pics. I still haven't really decided where the equip rack is going to be, but my options are pretty flexible. This will definitely help me in planning.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i used the 3/4" blue smurf tubing for speaker/sub wiring and central vac tubing for projector/tv conduit.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Why does everyone seem to terminate the conduit at the top of the wall or ceiling in the rack location instead of running it to a box in the rear center of the rack?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
In my case it is to minimize cable lengths.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/18209503

In my case it is to minimize cable lengths.

Thanks Cathan. I guess it depends on which rack you get then. For example the MA AXS has cable management at the bottom of the rack so you are likeley running cable ceiling to floor anyway.

I was just thinking that running the conduit to the middle you can terminate it with a nice 4 gang box or something. In your case, that would ony requires slightly extra cable length for equipment that was higher than the box.

Not a big deal. Just was wondering why people decide to do things certain ways.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In my case it was because I had not finalized my rack position. I wanted to leave some flexibility to add media storage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts