AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sub is a dayton 315HF-4 12" with a dayton 250 amp.  Denon AVR-E300. 

The combination of my room and my wife dictated that I build something that would hide nicely behind our TV.  My previous sub was the Pioneer 8 that matches the rest of the speakers.  It did a fine job and will be relocated to the basement. It was surprisingly good for music with its 33hz tune. 

This new sub is tuned to 21hz based on winisd.  I do not yet have the mic to do real in room testing.  It is 3/4 mdf, outside dimensions are 13.5 x 13.5 x 50.5.  3.6 internal cubic feet after sub+amp+bracing.  19" dayton 4" dual flared port.  1" dowel rod bracing.  1 additional brace was added after I took the pictures toward the top of the box where you can see the large unbraced section. 

I have build numerous cabs for autos in the past but this was my first in home sub. 

I also built a sonotube sub to compete against this.  The sono lost.  It was only 3.1cf3.  The sono had a little more punch but couldn't touch the lows of the mdf box.  The sono was cheaper to build and alot easier and lighter. 

I used 3inch polyfil pad at both ends of the box and nothing lining the walls.  The addition of the poly at the ends definitely helped alot.  The before and after was a noticeable difference.

We watched Enders Game, and during the battle scenes we got a nice massage from the couch.  The lows are just as I hoped.  The only downside (other than the silly weight of the darn thing), is less punch for music.  I have Audyssey turned off because I didn't like how it boosted the mids too much (boomy) and left the lows weak.  I might go with the minidsp.  Somewhere between no eq and audyssey is what I'm after. 

My room seems to be awesome for audio.  All of my speakers sounded terrible in my basement but sound great in my family room.  It must be a weird combination of size and shape.  

Thanks to Steve nn for his input and anyone else who offered some advice. 

I kept the pics small for the mobile users.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Here is a pic of the sono. It was built to fit in the same location. This was the largest tube available at my local store. It only cost 8 bucks and I used the leftover mdf so it was a cheap experiment. I wish I could have matched the same internal volume to see if the sono could go as low. I could carry the sono with one arm. The mdf had to be slid on the floor. The sono also offered protection to the cone from my 3 year old. But more bass wins every time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What's the sono design.....12" tube ? What sub are you using. ...what port ? Tuned to what frequency ?

I have one in the garage and was going to use an 8" dayton dvc but never got around to it...have several plate amps lying around waiting for a project...

john.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sono is a 12.5 internal tube. They vary from the 12 inches listed. Sub is a dayton rss315hf4 with a dayton spa250 plate amp. The sono might have been as good if it was the same volume. The port is a 19 inch flared at both ends. I might have been able to tune them the same with a longer port in the sono but I didn't want to spend any more money to get the same results as the mdf box.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tune is 21 on the mdf and 22.5 on the sono. Not a big difference but the mdf sounded stronger at low freq than the sono.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Your sub looks really nice and glad it's working out for yuh.. you're the one who did all the figuring, so it's definitely your creation. Nice job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts