Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I have yet to experiment and try one of the late-night Direct TV pay-per-view HDTV offerings which sometimes show up on channel 199 after HDNet has "gone to bed" for the night. I am waiting for the "right offering" to make the plunge (and also the right night when I can stay awake into the wee hours).

I was wondering what I can expect in picture quality. I know this will be a film transfer, and I cannot expect the amazing look of stuff shot with high def video cameras. It will obviously not measure up to most of HDNet or to Jay Leno.

Is it as strong as HBO's high def? Generally? Or, is it merely on a par with most of the Showtime offerings in high def? Is it even that impressive? Is it DVD quality? Is it comparable to off air antenna (for a feature film, for example, on one of the major networks?)

And, what about the choice for aspect ratios? What can I expect? Original aspect ratio? If it is 2:35.1, will it remain so? Or, are compromises made?

Thanks for any insight from some of those who have tried it. I almost made the plunge recently with Lord of the Rings, for fun (even though I own the DVD), but it came on a bad night.

A final question, if anyone knows... is this High Def pay per view in any way under the control of HDNet and Mark Cuban, or is it simply a DirecTV-controlled thing? I was just curious, since I am aware that Mr. Cuban tends to be very much a purist when it comes to the quality of image. In otherw ords, who chooses the content, does the actual programming, etc. I have noticed that the Channel Guide on my set top box changes logos as soon as it I view any of these pay-per-view Channel 199 descriptions.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
DirectTV not Mark Cuban.

Higher bitrate than HBO or SHO so slightly better picture.

I think they are mostly 16x9 like HBO.

Does anyone know if DTV is able to do DD5.1 audio on their PPV?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The quality depends mostly on the quality of the original content and the quality of the transfer of that content to HD. From what I've seen, they will mostly be P&S versions, or open matte in some cases. Given the late hours, even on the west coast, it's mostly good for recording stuff than for actually watching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.