1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If those are screen captures I guess that they don't count since with PowerDVD you can only do captures in software mode and we already know that the sw mode has problems with PQ.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I think it's worth noting, though, that PowerDVD XP's DXVA support is only going to work for the Radeon if you're running WInME/XP with the very latest drivers. Otherwise you're stuck with software mode. And does anybody know if the latest GeForce drivers support DXVA?

·
Registered
94 Posts
DXVA is supported on the latest batch of nVidia drivers. I only tried my MX with anime DVDs and it was like staring at earthquake scenes. Complete inability to deinterlace the image properly under DXVA :(

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn
I think it's worth noting, though, that PowerDVD XP's DXVA support is only going to work for the Radeon if you're running WInME/XP with the very latest drivers. Otherwise you're stuck with software mode. And does anybody know if the latest GeForce drivers support DXVA?
John:

I don't think this is true. I am running PowerDVD 4.0 XP on two PC's , both with Radeon 64 DDR's and both Win98SE. Now, one has the new 7199 driver and the other has the older 7093 driver. Both have HW acceleration enabled and the picture is awesome

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Actually DXVA support with a GeForce under the 21.83 drivers running PowerDVD XP 4 [ in WinXP ] looks better than software mode on my system . Stable as can be , no jitter , no jaggies , no problems other than the picture is a little darker [ which can be fixed via the overlay settings ] . Now granted I don't have a high end projector [ 1031Q ] but I am running at 890x500p [45x80 / 16:9] and the PQ is fantastic [ better than any previous SW player that I have tried , including ATI/Rav video filter with ZoomPlayer ] . WinDVD 3.1 DTS [XP ???] is impressive , maybe even just a hair sharper than PowerDVD XP 4 but it doesn't have the same overall PQ on my system . I am running an HTPC with dual boot WinXP / WinMe and PowerDVD XP 4 is better [PQ] under XP IMHO . Even my wife and a few other people could see the improved PQ with PowerDVD XP 4 [under WinXP] . So I guess it will have a slight variance from system to system or maybe those people with high end projectors will notice issues that I cannot detect . For whatever it's worth I am very pleased with this SW , it has given my GeForce new life . I have a Leadtek GeForce which uses higher quality RF filters that most other brands , so maybe others will not get the same out of the GeForce based cards with PowerDVD XP 4 ?

Best Wishes ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
John:
It's Jeff, BTW :)
Quote:
I don't think this is true. I am running PowerDVD 4.0 XP on two PC's , both with Radeon 64 DDR's and both Win98SE. Now, one has the new 7199 driver and the other has the older 7093 driver. Both have HW acceleration enabled and the picture is awesome
I don't think driver version 7093 supports DXVA, so I don't see how PowerDVD 4 could be using it with those drivers. Just because you have the HW acceleration checked doesn't mean that it's actually using HW acceleration.

One way you could check this is by trying to take a screenshot on the system with the 7093 drivers; if you are able to take a screenshot, then the player is in software-decode mode. If you get a chance to try this let us know what results you see.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'm also running PowerDVDXP with WIndows 98 and HW mode enabled, this combo produces a better PQ than when using Windows XP from what I can see. With HW mode unticked you get bad artifacting so I'm sure that it is working. With Windows 98 HW mode probably just enables HWMC and the likes.

Jeff

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
With PowerDVD4 you can go into the

Configuration -> information screen and scroll

down to see what acceleration is enabled.

Using the latest Win98SE drivers I can

enable

"NVIDIA Hardware Video Acceleration/DXVA:MC"

on a GeForce2MX

and

"ATI Hardware Video Accelration/DXVA:iDCT" on

the Radeon.

In all cases (for me) hardware acceleration

looks bad (there are bad "jaggies" on diagonal lines), but it may be because I am running 1600x1200 (GeForce2MX) and

1920x1080 (RadeonLE).

I still think Cineplayer4 looks better on

the Radeon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.