AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" Zenith with a peerless smartmount. I want to build a frame around it to make it look like a hanging picture. This will serve the purpose of hiding the bracket as well as wiring. I think it would also look cool. The frame would probably have to be about 4-5".

1. Are there any problems with this (heat)?

2. Anybody else do this?

Any help with what to use and where to get it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,427 Posts
There are companies out there which make things like this. One I'm thinking of even sells licensed reproductions of fine art -- reproduced in such a fashion that they can be rolled up like a window shade without cracking -- mounted on a roller with a remote controlled motor. Hit the remote and your "painting" hides itself revealing the flat panel display. They charge thousands of dollars as license fee for the privilege of having such fake art.

It looks OK from the front as long as you don't get too close to see that the art is a repro and not a real oil painting or whatever. But it looks pretty tacky from the sides since the "frame" has to be made so thick to cover the distance from the wall all the way to in front of the display.

The sides are made of perforated metal or perhaps plastic to allow for ventilation, and the degree of ventilation looks adequate to me assuming of course you don't actually turn on the plasma with the art work hanging like a blanket in front of it. The weight of the plasma is, of course, carried by a normal wall mount, so the frame only needs to be strong enough to support the milled wooden picture frame making up the front, motor, roller, and fake art. In the installations I've seen in showrooms, they usually paint the perforated sides to match the paint on the wall in an effort to make it look less tacky. Doesn't really work....

--bob

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have seen Pioneer Elites that sort of look like they're "picture framed" and it's gloss black. I think they're standard like that, but it's just around the front screen (from what I can remember) and doesn't interfere with heat dispersal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure you guys understood what I want to do. I only want to build a frame around the plasma. The plasma is supported by the smartmount. The frame can be supported on its own with brackets. I also don't mind a small air space in between the set and frame. I could also leave a small space behind the frame just like a frame picture has.

I also don't want anything in front of the screen. What's playing will be the art. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't want to offend anyone. For me it just struck me as being strange, but I've been called that myself. I'ts your plasma, you can put anything around it that you wish. I hope you find what you are looking for and are satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by revmike
I don't want to offend anyone. For me it just struck me as being strange, but I've been called that myself. I'ts your plasma, you can put anything around it that you wish. I hope you find what you are looking for and are satisfied with the results.
Mike,

You're not going to offend me. If it's about the look that you don't like, that's fine. But if there are other reasons(like heat, etc..), can you please state them. I posted this so I can get feedback from others, including you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 026TB4U
I'm not sure you guys understood what I want to do. I only want to build a frame around the plasma. The plasma is supported by the smartmount. The frame can be supported on its own with brackets. I also don't mind a small air space in between the set and frame. I could also leave a small space behind the frame just like a frame picture has.

I also don't want anything in front of the screen. What's playing will be the art. :D
It is rather difficult to do without affecting airflow that cools down the panel. The service manual specifies requirements for a recessed installation. Your installation is similar since a frame is the same as a wall for cooling purposes. You would need sufficient number of ventilation holes at the bottom and top side. The service manual would give total area.

I just came back from a trip to NC where a rented house had a wood frame (no holes of any kind) around 37" Panasonic. The TV was still working but I doubt that it would do it for a long time.

Will

P.S. Many people consider plasma panels beautiful on its own and surprised to hear that you want to frame. It is all subjective.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,427 Posts
By the way, some nice, audiophile quality, flat panel speakers mounted on the wall on either side of the plasma will go a long way towards concealing the view behind the panel when viewed from the side. For your application, this might be a better solution than, say, flush-mount wall speakers.

The point I was trying to make is that although a milled-wood "picture frame" can make the plasma look attractive from the front, it's not really a very good solution for making it look good from the side.

--Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by will792
P.S. Many people consider plasma panels beautiful on its own and surprised to hear that you want to frame. It is all subjective.
I agree that plasmas are beautiful, but only when looking at them dead on. But the way my house is situated, there are a lot of areas that you will be looking at the side. So you'll be able to see the mount and the cables, eventhough I plan on running the cables through the wall. I mounted my smartmount but haven't hung the set, so maybe it won't look as bad as I think it will.

Here is a pic of a mirror in my house that uses a thick frame. I guess this was where I got the idea. It will obviously be a different color.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
026TB4U,

I had a few links to places selling Plasma Frames. Unfortunately I lost them and a bunch of other cool links when my HD crashed few months ago. I forgot to back-up. :(

Anyway, VisionArt sells framed Art Prints on a motorized retracting canvas[As Bob Pariseau mentioned].

The prices are unbelievably high. But it shouldn't be that much just for the frame. Check out the following link:

http://www.solarshadingsys.com/sss01...s/prod95.shtml

·
Registered
96 Posts
026TB4U,

I have had this exact discussion for the last 2 weeks with my wife and my installer. I am installing a 50" Runco CW-50MC in a family room along a wall that will have an exposed side view. Every time you walk into the room you will see the side of the plasma. I loooked at the Vision art as a solution but it seems too expensive for what it is.

My installer reccomended opening up the wall in my family room and recessing the plasma into the back of a coat closet. This is probaly the most integrated "look" I can get. The down side is that it comes with a $4000 price tag. This includes opening up the wall reframing the opening, new plaster and paint. I may hang the plasma and live with it for a while and then decide to open up the wall. I am hoping to have this project completed in the next 2-3 weeks so send me a PM if you want any follow up.

If any one is wondering Runco.....that is crazy......I had originally decided on the Fujitsu but the uptick to the Runco was not crazy and it includes the integrated scaler.

CGM

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am dealing with the same issue. What I am planning to do is to build a small (3"?) border around all of the bracket and wiring, but still behind the plasma. I will paint it the same color as the wall. From the side, you will just see this, and it will appear that this wall colored protrusion is actually the plasma mount. It will be nice and neat, and only visible if you look from the side. We'll see what it looks like when it is done. Basically, I am framing the mount/wires, not the plasma.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
There are companies out there which make things like this. One I'm thinking of even sells licensed reproductions of fine art -- reproduced in such a fashion that they can be rolled up like a window shade without cracking -- mounted on a roller with a remote controlled motor. Hit the remote and your "painting" hides itself revealing the flat panel display. They charge thousands of dollars as license fee for the privilege of having such fake art....

It looks OK from the front as long as you don't get too close to see that the art is a repro and not a real oil painting or whatever. But it looks pretty tacky from the sides since the "frame" has to be made so thick to cover the distance from the wall all the way to in front of the display....
Gasp. Someone please tell me I did not just read this. If he really believes this, IMO he marks a symptom of the beginning of the end of all true culture....

Sincerely,

AMc

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
you can check out one of these contraptions at Harvey's Electronics. As an art lover and collector it absolutely makes me puke, but there is definitely a market for it out there.

Let's just say this: if I was invited to a house that featured one of those, I would probably not set my foot in said house again. Life's too short to look at tacky reproductions or hang out with folks to whom they appeal.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not really interested in fake art or covering the front of the set, just framing the sides of my plasma to hide the side view.

Another option I have is to hang a media storage box on both sides of the plasma and possibly one underneath to house my center channel. Here is one I found that will work. It's 36" tall (my set is 27" tall) and 8" deep.

http://a451.g.akamai.net/7/451/1713/...003/img49m.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.