AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't 5 minutes after I ordered my Pio 503, that my wife wanted to know if we can frame the bezel to look like a picture. It seems that while I was trying my best to convince her that we need to spend some of our kids inheritace, she was busy figuring out how to "make it look pretty" by putting a picture frame around it. Has anyone ever done this? If so, did you use real wood? How did you attach it to the bezel? Did you use anything to cover the 5" space between the frame and the wall?

Since it's going to replace the picture hanging over the gas log fireplace, I'm considering building a 4" false wall and set it inside a show box, but I'm worried about heat buildup from the plasma (not too worried about the gas logs though) . Any comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't know how good a true "frame" would look with that 5 inch gap (as you noted. Thus I wouldn't attach a frame directly to the bezel at all. I'd build out a box from the wall and dress it up with moulding or a skilled woodworker. If it's high enough (above eye leve), you can drill several 2 inch holes along the top 2x4 (or whatever you use) for ventilation. You could also probably drill several holes into the drywall behind the tv since it won't show.

If you've got the money, you have an amazing alternative. You can buy a custom made frame WITH a picture on it. The picture rolls up like a window shade (only much nicer) when you want to watch tv. I think they run a few thousand bucks though, since it's custom made. I saw it at my local av store in Lake Forest, CA. They probably would mount the plasma inside the wall as well. That'll obviously look better whichever route you go.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Check the various posts on the Forum by "MississippiMan." He comments extensively about things like this, and sounds like he really knows what he's talking about; also posts many informative pictures.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
QQQ-

"I thought the models I saw in person looked hideous, ..."

That's kind of a funny recommendation.

IOW, "here's a website for a product - even though I think it looks like crap":D (too funny)

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation! & Common sense

Bruce

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Don't build the plasma into a false wall, it'll burn up.

What you can do is suspend the frame around the plasma using rods. If the frame is wide enough (and blocked on the sides and bottom) - it can be made to look like an authentic (albeit thick) frame.

Keep the top open for ventilation, and you can also drill small holes on the sides of this construction for side heat and for letting the air flow through.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought the SolarShading Vision Art stuff might be kind of cool, and contacted them for pricing. I received the following prices:

42" $7,495

50" $7,995

60" $8,495

That pretty much took care of any 'coolness' factor in my household.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
RJ28462:

Interesting article, but it proves that you can’t believe everything you read.

Quote:
At 47 pounds, the PRO-1000HD isn't very portable
They must have removed the Urushi frame to get it down to 47 pounds! LOL:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.