AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems like i just have bad luck with lcd monitors connected through d-sub and picture noise where some colors will look fuzzy and sometimes wavy. every lcd monitor i've tried with vga mode has always had picture noise in some of the colors. why does this happen? i tried auto-adjust and also tweaking 'fine' and 'course' setting on monitor osd. fine just seems to adjust the sharpness and course seems to adjust the position of the picture. could it be something causing interference like my psu? is this a common thing when lcd monitors are connected through d-sub?

with my last lcd monitor i would just get picture noise in a lot of colors like dark shades and blue. with my new samsung 172x i get it in some black colors and is most noticeable in the black color of the boot screens before windows loads.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Try a better quality VGA cable. Fuzziness is a sure sign that the cable isn't passing enough bandwidth. Personally, I wouldn't connect a fixed pixel display like an LCD over VGA. If you can, connect with DVI.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i never thought about the cable. i'll look into it.

reason i want to connect through vga is because nvidia cards have an incompatibility problem with samsung 172x monitors manufactuered after a certain date. it happens sometimes when the refresh rate or resolution is changed and it looks like i'm watching a 3d movie without 3d glasses like the color signals have gone out of sync. it doesn't happen often but when it does it's very annoying.

why wouldn't you connect lcd through vga. i've been led to believe that since ramdacs have gotten so good on cards these days and the vga signal the card pumps out is so good that there is very little risk of image degradation.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel
why wouldn't you connect lcd through vga. i've been led to believe that since ramdacs have gotten so good on cards these days and the vga signal the card pumps out is so good that there is very little risk of image degradation.
You're complaining about image degradation. Having to do the extra step to resynchronize the VGA signal to the fixed pixels could be another cause of it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, the synch prob your talking about must be why the pic was not aligned to the screen at first. but auto-adjust fixed that.

yea, i guess i have experienced image degradation but after what you've said i'm thinking it's due to my cable. i'm sure one of those $50 monster cables would fix it up hopefully. i was just a little annoyed that everyone else seems to be getting a decent vga picture on their lcd and here i'm getting picture noise everywhere but i'll give one of those monster cables a try. it's just that i'm having a really annoying dvi problem as previously stated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.