AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough said. I don't think I've ever seen any HD that looked more like I was sitting in a movie theater.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Guess that answers my question. I was just about to start complaining that KMOV in St. Louis was NOT broadcasting HD tonight and how p.o.'ed I am that I'm NOT seeing CSI in HD tonight -- they're just upconverting the analog signal tonight!

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Excellent week after week. Stick around for "The Agency". This new CBS show is much improved, both in story and PQ. Worth a look.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hpierce
What an outstanding 2 hours of hdtv. Story, picture, sound (DD 2.0 on the agency was great!). And to think people watch NBC!!
Yes indeed. I just finished watching The Agency after CSI and was thinking the same thing. I like both of these series very much and both are of top notch HD quality. Thursday night has become a favorite TV evening for me.

NBC? What's that? :D :p :D

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It's all relative. I looked at CSI after watching 'Small Time Crooks' on HBO and was quite disapointed with the CSI picture in comparison.

Frank

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
It's all relative. I looked at CSI after watching 'Small Time Crooks' on HBO and was quite disapointed with the CSI picture in comparison.

Frank
Frank,

I'm really sorry, but you finally lost me. I really don't understand the meaning or intent of your comment.

I caught a bit of "Small Time Crooks". It was OK. Nothing special at all. CSI looked as good as it always does. It seems I recall you commenting very favorably about CSI in the past (it doesn't really matter since it's quite clear that the vast majority of folks comment very favorably about the quality of CSI).

Can you please tell me what you would have expected from CSI so that it wouldn't have disappointed you after watching the movie? As I carefully compose this response, the west feed of CSI just started (I watched the east feed earlier) and I find it hard to imagine anyone being "quite disappointed" in CSI's quality regardless of what was previously watched. It seems like trying to compare CSI and 'Crooks' is just something I wouldn't even try to do. I assume they are filmed, processed, and whatever else differently and that they stand on their own without having much of a common basis for comparison. I must tell you that the way I will interpret your future critiques has changed. Sorry.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
I caught a bit of "Small Time Crooks". It was OK. Nothing special at all.
I thought it was as good as anything I have seen transfered from film.

It has an incredible amont of detail. If you don't see it then I would have to conclude that your display is not resolving it.

CSI doesnn't look bad. I was just giving an alternative point of view. It obviously could have much higher resolution then it does.

Frank

·
Registered
604 Posts
This series continues to impress and entertain. They obviously "get it" insofar as use of the wide aspect, the shot composition, the use of subtle details which would be blurred with lower resolutions.

Top notch, a standard of quality.

I wouldn't even try to compare a converted film to something shot with HD in mind. The observation may be valid but I don't see the point give the theme of this thread?

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm going to side with Frank on this one...while CSI is generally quite good I thought it looked a bit grainy on the interior scenes last night. In contrast I thought The Agency which immediately followed CSI was quite good in comparison. None of the CBS shows however (not even The District) can hold a candle to the best Sopranos episodes that I have seen to date.

My setup: Toshiba TW56X81

Dish Network 5000/CBS-HD feed

·
Registered
604 Posts
RickD_99 -

The interior scenes were razor sharp to our eyes. We watched it off of ExpressVu into a 50" Fujitsu 5002 plasma.

I'm not contesting what you saw, but must suspect something outside of your control insofar as your seeing less than crisp interior scenes.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickthickey
RickD_99 -

The interior scenes were razor sharp to our eyes. We watched it off of ExpressVu into a 50" Fujitsu 5002 plasma.

I'm not contesting what you saw, but must suspect something outside of your control insofar as your seeing less than crisp interior scenes.

regards,

patrick
Hmmmm interesting...we obviously have different sources for the CBS-HD feed, not to mention different display technologies. All I know is that on my display The Sopranos (also sourced via DISH) looks incredible and last night's CSI looked less than incredible, but still damn good! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
It looked so good that I took of my glasse :) Jiji.

I am hoked to that TV on Thursdays.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
... the west feed of CSI just started (I watched the east feed earlier) ...
Jerry, how are you able to watch the east coast feed? I'm guessing that you're able to watch CBS OTA in LA and that you're getting the east coast feed via satellite, but did you have to get waivers or something?

Please explain!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF

Jerry, how are you able to watch the east coast feed? I'm guessing that you're able to watch CBS OTA in LA and that you're getting the east coast feed via satellite, but did you have to get waivers or something?

Please explain!
Correct. My dish was already pointed at 61.5 and I asked for the east feed from Dish (I had already subscribed to the LA locals). Given how early I get up for work and therefore how early I go to sleep, it's actually to CBS's advantage that I can get the east feed. Without it, I wouldn't be able to watch the shows that come on after 9pm PT.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just recieved a 6000 and 8vsb this week. CSI was the first show I've seen in HD. I was blown away!! I hope all HD looks this good. I can't wait to check out more HD programming.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I looked good until the droids at KPIX San Fransisco dropped it

back to stupid mode in the last 5 minutes. Oh well, it beats

last time, the back to back CSIs that they showed all of 15 minutes of then dropped back to Standard resolution.

Somehow they also seem to introduce lots of analog noise into

the picture, and (not making this up), make it greener.

Thank you much for the nice reminder that NTSC sucks compared

to HDTV CSI, KPIX. Now cut it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.