AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this issue since I got the TV. Everything works fine except this one thing that annoys me. When I am watching a Widescreen DVD connecting through the Y/G/B input, the top of the picture looks like it is bowed down just a little bit. Not a lot, just barely enough to notice. The picture looks like the following: It's almost like the black bar at the top pushes down into the picture a little bit. Any thoughts?

---_____________---

| |

| |

| |

| |

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Which TV?

Which DVD player?

Double check to make sure that your DVD player is configured for your screen shape. If you have a TV screen that has a 16x9 ratio the DVD player will have a setting for that. If your TV screen has a 4x3 ratio then your DVD player will have a setting for that. If you have your DVD player set for a 4x3 screen when you actually have a 16x9 screen funny things will happen.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
I'm not familiar with your TV. It sounds like a "geometry" problem.

You need to attract some CRT based RPTV owners. Try a new thread and add your TV to the title.

Almost all wide screen RPTV sets will curve in a little on the sides when 4x3 material is displayed with side bars. It's a characteristic of the lens setup and the short distance to the screen. I don't know if there are adjustments for "geometry" in other sets. My DLP set does not have any.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Do the lines near the top of the convergence grid bow in as well? If they do then you have a geometry issue. It is fixable by you if it's not to bad. I however am unfamiliar with your set. If the lines are bowed in your convergence grid, then do as htwaits suggested and start a new thread titled something like" Geometry issue on Phillips CRT ".

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Might try this older Philips HDTV group or a newer one . A thread search there might turn up similar problems. The service CDROM for my Philips 64PH9905 (year-2000 64" model) doesn't show any tweaks specifically for line bowing, but has a few VERT, HORIZ service adjustments, not outlined, that might be related. Sometimes, with persistence, navigating Philips' customer service and national service setup can bring results (see your manual). They have a department, mainly for techs and charging by the minute for unregistered servicers, that offers technical advice. A slim possibility is tweaking some of the user HORIZ adjustments I find on one of my user (not service) submenus. Your model may not have them. Suggest checking with a test-DVD crosshatch, or other source, to ensure it's the same problem. Also, of course, try a 480p DVD input, if possible, to the HD YPbPr. My Philips accepts 480i to a special DVD YPbPb input, but not 480p; that doubles images on a split screen since the set tries a double an already doubled image. My set won't accept 480i into the HD YPbPr inputs; horizontal sync is lost completely. -- John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.