AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can. When I connect my laptop via a VGA breakout cable, the desktop looks fine. But, when I try and connect my Pioneer DV434 DVD player via a Key Digital transcoder (KD-CTCA2) and VGA breakout cable, the top 1/3 of the screen turns green. It actually floats down from the top, stays there for 10 seconds or so, then floats back off the top of the picture again. It's fine for 20 seconds or so, then does it again.

Anyone have any ideas?

I can provide pics if they will help. I was just looking for a quick answer.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can say is that I did not have this problem with my Sony 1272Q, using the same DVD player.

Aeoran, can you elaborate?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a little more info. The green banding at the top was happening with my Toy Story DVD. I popped it out and out my Avia DVD in and it doesn't happen! I put Shrek in and it does it again!

hmmmm....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...from reading other posts, it does seem to be a Macrovision problem.

I also swapped out DVD players with one that uses S-Video and the problem went away.

I'm not terribly concerned since I plan on using an HTPC.

John

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also had simular issues when I first got the "Key Digital transcoder (KD-CTCA2)"...

try adjusting the "H Phase" on the barco..... it worked wonders for me... be sure to try the whole range.... it should be "solid" at some point...

when I first got the KD-CTCA2, I could barely get a stable image and had to change switches for each res.... NOW after adjusting "H Phase" for each res, the image is perfect and I can leave it in AUTO when I switch sources :)

JPELL

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the H Phase JPELL. However, it didn't help with my problem. The H Phase adjusted the picture horizontally and I am seeing the discoloration along the top border.

Thanks for the tip. I wish it would have worked :)

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry about the late reply.

The way that Macrovision works will affect each video chain (e.g. projector + scaler) differently. There will be those combinations which work well even in the presence of Macrovision; there will be those which will never work, no matter what adjustments you try.

Macrovision is set on a per-disc basis. The Avia disc doesn't have it, for obvious reasons: Macrovision is a distortion to the video signal, and it would be counterproductive to include it on a calibration reference disc.

One scaler (the Rock) claims to be able to sync to and remove Macrovision. It could be done, but it would be better not to give it any Macrovision in the first place.

P.S. I hate Macrovision. I would never buy a DVD player unless it allows me to switch it off. Being able to do this will improve your picture to a far greater extent than buying better cables. Any cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.