AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm getting to the end of my "get a store credit" for my 931. I found a way to tame the overscan problem, and everthing else has been pretty problem free.

I've heard a number of people saying that they thought the Bravo had better picture quality. The Sammy's noticeably better than my DVD 9000, but if the D1 has a noticeably better PQ than than the Sammy 931 I'd like to hear about it.

If you've seen both, specifically what's better about which, and to what degree? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
There are plenty of 931 v. D1 threads on this forum; you might want to do a search.

I think the general consensus is that the D1 has slightly better picture quality through DVI, better scaling, and a lower price, but more reliability and usability issues. Some people have more problems with the D1 than others; for me, the transport issues just weren't acceptable.

I sold mine and have decided to wait and give the LG LST-3510A (pdf here ) a try, which is expected by late October.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had both a D1 (lockups and returned) and a Sammy 931. I did not side by silde compare, but watched movies one day apart. I do not think the difference is real notable. Unless it was my imagination, I think the Sammy was sharper and the D1 softer. Personally, I like sharper. Both were great. Better, though not leaps and bounds over my Denon 2800 MKII which also did a great job.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Here's the link to the shootout.

D1 vs 931 Shootout Link

If you read the threads, obviously there's some D1's that have the lockup problems. (Not all) Bravo knows about it and will return your D1 if its faulty. (They pay the shipping if you ask too)

The bottom line is, are you willing to try it to get the best picture quality. There's been many posts (and not just by me) that the D1's PQ is superior to the 931. (I won't reshash the problems as owners of the 931 hate to hear about it, so, read the shootout for yourself.)

It comes down to... Do you want to take the time to get stae-of-the-art image quality? Just ask the owners of HTPC's. Talk about buggy! Anyone who has gone that route to get state-of-the-art PQ has gone through way more problems getting there!

If you don't want to try, I'd say buy the 931, it's still going to be better than any analog DVD player.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so with the latest firmware upgrades the differences are slight if any in PQ? Just watched TTT tonight again on the 931 and HS10, and man the whole thing was eye candy from start to finish..

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Concept,

Are the firmware changes discussed in a thread somewhere? Do you recall the title of the thread that discusses these changes?

·
23,032 Posts
I'd like to see a link/place where someone reputable (e.g.

independent reviewer) has confirmed the new firmware disabled

the EE adding "feature" of the decoder. If this is true, kudos to

Samsung.

larry

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Personally, I think that review is outdated. The recent firmwares from Samsung improved upon the cons of the 931.
Sorry, ConceptVSB, My review has been updated since it was first posted. I have seen the latest firmware 931, and the shootout is current. The EE is still there, so are the other problems since it's launch.

The firmware fixes have made some improvements, but they've not addressed the big ones yet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
WSR reviewed both players in the last two issues. Check out Greg Rogers reviews. My impression from the two reviews is that he found the PQ of the two players, though not identical, to be about equal. Perhaps he will read this post and comment.

I have directly compared both players, personally. IMHO the PQ differences are visible, but minor. We are really splitting hairs here. In some ways each of them looks slightly better than the other, depending of course on personal taste.

However, the ergonomic and calibration issues that Santelavision points out in his review of these two players were very important to me. I chose the D-1.

If you already own the 931 and these things don't bother you, then don't worry about seeing a D-1. In fact, if you want to see the picture from a D-1, go look at a picture from your 931. It's about the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have both players at home. One will have to go- likely the Sammy. Don't get me wrong, the Sammy's picture is stunning on my Toshiba 57HDX82- Sharpest detail I have ever seen- the Snell & Wilcox Test pattern from Digital VE looks perfect for all three flim speeds. HOWEVER, I get streaks of red and green lines once every few seconds as well as some video noise, likely compatability issues between the Sammy and the Toshiba.

The Bravo produces a softer picture on my RPTV than the Sammy. Its like my eyeglass prescription needs a slight tweaking. Still its much better than my previous Sony player through component. Colors look great from both players. Bravo prefers clean disks- I have had to clean a number of disks in order to get them to load. No loading issues with the Sammy.

I like both player, but the compatability issues between HDX82 and the Sammy rule it out as an option.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
The Bravo produces a softer picture on my RPTV
The D1 is not producing a 'softer' picture. It's a correct, accurate image. The 931 is over-sharpening the image (similar to setting the sharpness control on 11) If you have VE, they explain the sharpness illusion.

Some people at first viewing like that look, but then when they set it back to normal, they realize it was creating a false sharpness from information that not's actually in the image.

That's the EE problem that's been discussed on many threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.