AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my laptop connected to my 42" 1080i plasma via a VGA to Component converter. It works, but the picture quality is not great. It is worse than what I get on my 16" LCD monitor attached to the same laptop (VGA to VGA). And it certainly is worse than what I get when when I play a DVD on the same plasma (component to component).

I have tried all resolutions available on the laptop and am using the one that seems to work best (1280 x 1024 in Landscape). I have S-video available on TV (not laptop) but assumed component would be better anyway. Running Windows 7

Ideas? Better video card or something?

I do have an HDMI port on my laptop, but no more are available on my plasma. Plenty of USB available on laptop.

There is an Intel TV wizard built into my OS, but it does not seem to work, I assume it would only work if I was using the HDMI port.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My suggestion is that you free an hdmi port by using the component input for one of the other devices (e.g. an stb). For me, a component input from my cable stb is hardly distinguishible from the hdmi input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that will not work for me. There is only one HDMI port on the TV. It is underneath the front of the wall mounted TV. I only pulg the laptop into the TV on an occasional basis. I would not keep the wire permanently attached as it would be unisightly. Thus, I am limited to using the ports on the side of my TV (which are only the Red, White and Yellow RCA jacks).

It just dawned on me that b/c these are RWY, not RBG, I am dealing with RCA, not component, right? Perhaps this is the source of the issue which leaves me dead in the water unless I want to convert my HDMI to component and hire a pro to run wires through the wall, etc..

Ugh!!!

·
Banned
127 Posts

Quote:
It just dawned on me that b/c these are RWY, not RBG, I am dealing with RCA, not component, right?

RCA is the name of a manufacturer that made use of cinch connectors...which everyone now calls RCA.

Component refers to a type of video signal.

Not really sure what you're asking here.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19534604

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that will not work for me. There is only one HDMI port on the TV. It is underneath the front of the wall mounted TV. I only pulg the laptop into the TV on an occasional basis. I would not keep the wire permanently attached as it would be unisightly. Thus, I am limited to using the ports on the side of my TV (which are only the Red, White and Yellow RCA jacks).

It just dawned on me that b/c these are RWY, not RBG, I am dealing with RCA, not component, right? Perhaps this is the source of the issue which leaves me dead in the water unless I want to convert my HDMI to component and hire a pro to run wires through the wall, etc..

Ugh!!!

correct. red/white/yellow cannot pass an hd signal, regardless of source. easy to mix up composite (non hd) and component.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If I understand the hdmi configuration problem correctly, my next suggestion will be an hdmi angle adaptor and a short hdmi extension cable (or just the extension, depending on the gap b/n the tv and the wall), in order to bring the hdmi from behind the tv to the side.

Isn't this fun?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, this is getting "fun".

Here is more info on the issue. Below is a link to the VGA converter I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-PC-VGA-...d_bxgy_e_img_a

Clearly RCA, not component, so I will not get HD. What confuses me is if I run RCA (RWY) to the ports on the TV from a portable CD player, I get a much much better picture than what I am getting from my laptop. So something funky is still going on here.

Good thought Roussi, but still no dice. There is no gap at all between TV and wall. It is flush (looks awesome) but not good for situations like this one. And there is only one HDMI port anyway and it is in use by the Sat. Receiver.. I have all the wires from this TV hidden in walls so running a wire is a MAJOR pain in the BUTT. Even if I could do it, I would need to get a new converter (VGA to component/RGB) and then run the wires through the walls. But based on what I see happening with the RCA (comparing the laptop to the portable CD), I am not confident it will help anyway.

Seems odd that a plasma would have RCA ports on the side. But I swear they are red white and yellow (will triple check). I also want to check the cords I use with the portable CD player. If they are component and I plug them into RCA, I know I will not get HD, but will I get any picture?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19534604

Ugh!!!

In this case S-Video would be an upgrade compared to the Yellow composite video connection. If possible you should aim for HDMI and if that isn't possible then component would be next. Is it that hard to fish a cable through your wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19535169

Yes, this is getting "fun".

Here is more info on the issue. Below is a link to the VGA converter I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-PC-VGA-...d_bxgy_e_img_a

Clearly RCA, not composite, so I will not get HD.

RCA is composite. For HD you need HDMI or component (RBG) or VGA.

And to be clear... Composite is Red, White, and Yellow. Red and White are stereo audio and Yellow is 480i video.

Component cables will have three to five connections; Red, Blue, and Green or RBG plus another Red and White for stereo audio. The RBG will allow up to 1080p depending on your TV.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I see so many issues;

VGA does not carry the component Y.Pb.Pr signals. So, I have to assume this converter is an active box with a power supply that is doing the converting. If so, the quality of the picture will depend on the quality of the converter. If it's a splitter cable then you're doing it wrong.

The 1280 x 1024 resolution is not a 16x9 ratio. 1080i refers to 16x9 ratio, interlaced signal with a 1920×1080 resolution. Your TV also likely works well with 720p which is a 16x9 ratio progressive signal with a 1280×720 resolution.

If the adapter can't do 1080i or 720p then it's a piece of crap that will never work.

Finally, you indicate the connectors on the side of the TV are Red, White and Yellow. These 3 together in a group are typically right audio, left audio and composite video. The video is also not capable of HD formats.

I'm not sure why a wire hanging off the side or the bottom of the TV makes much difference. You can get a right angle HDMI connector which would angle the wire towards the wall in case that would help you live with using the proper HDMI connection.

Peter

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Since you responded again as I was writing my post

First thing - RCA is the type of connector, ie the round plug with a pin in the middle. It IS NOT a video format. Composite video, analog audio and component video all use RCA connectors.

Second - RGB IS NOT component video. YPbPr is the short form for component video.

Third, just go get a HDMI switch and connect into the HDMI cable at the sat receiver then plug the laptop in there.

Peter

·
Banned
127 Posts

Quote:
And to be clear... Composite is Red, White, and Yellow.

Composite video, for consumers, generally uses a yellow RCA connector on a 75 Ohm coax cable.

The red and white connectors carry analog audio.

Quote:
RCA is composite. For HD you need HDMI or component (RBG) or VGA.

Consumer level component connections also use RCA connectors.

Component video is Y, R-Y, B-Y, not RGB. VGA is RGB +HV.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke /forum/post/19535217

The 1280 x 1024 resolution is not a 16x9 ratio. 1080i refers to 16x9 ratio, interlaced signal with a 1920×1080 resolution. Your TV also likely works well with 720p which is a 16x9 ratio progressive signal with a 1280×720 resolution.

Most 42" 16:9 plasma TVs that are not 1080p have rectangular pixels and would be 1024x768 instead of 1366x768. The poster's TV is "1080i" which means his TV would be 1024x768, which is actually a 768p TV with rectangular pixels (longer horizontally) to make up for the horizontal difference of 1366-1024.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19535314

Most 42" 16:9 plasma TVs that are not 1080p have rectangular pixels and would be 1024x768 instead of 1366x768. The poster's TV is "1080i" which means his TV would be 1024x768, which is actually a 768p TV with rectangular pixels (longer horizontally) to make up for the horizontal difference of 1366-1024.

Does this matter to me if I use the HDMI switch solution?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19535349

Does this matter to me if I use the HDMI switch solution?

No. You would send a 720p signal from your laptop to the TV and be done with it.

And yes, I'm aware that RCA connections are used for other connectors. However, back in the day an RCA cable was a composite cable. Once other cables started using those connections the cable was referred to as component (or coax digital). At least a composite cable is pretty much obsolete now with current TVs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19535286

What about this?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3004045...Types&var=sbar

I run a small HDMI from my laptop into this, as well as, as the HDMI from my sat receiver. Then choose which one I want when I want.

Can life be this good? What am I missing?

An HDMI switch = what you really want.

Yes. Nothing.

Some day in the future you could replace that switch with an AV Receiver and do both switching and surround sound.

Peter

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19535314

True enough, and using 1024x768 as the resolution might work better than 720p.

But then, the 720p HD format will look better than component, and can fill the screen properly to boot.

Peter

1 - 20 of 38 Posts