AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a 37 to 45 inch LCD or plasma TV. We will use it for watching television and movies in a fairly bright living room. We have the Dish Network and won't be purchasing HD till probably next year.

My main concern is watching SD TV. From what I have read on these forums, SD is not great with LCDs and plasmas. Currently we watch TV on a 32" Panasonic 'flat screen' CRT (bought it in 1998). Will our picture quality on a new LCD (or plasma) be at least as good as the PQ on the Panasonic CRT? Because of the bright natural light in the living room I am leaning toward the LCD..........

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the short answer is no in most cases, though i've heard of some that come close. That's the biggest gripe for most people. Some models do it better than others and then there are all the other factors involved, like settings and and connections and signal strength and stuff. Look in one of the sticky threads at the top of this forum for "Best of R Harkness" and read his "polishing the turd" post about some of the things you can/must do to improve SD on an HD set.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
In my personal experience (my opinion based on my use of my own plasma only) I have found the answer to your question to be Yes and No. I find the images to be sharper, crisper, cleaner on average. Street signs are more readable, a person's facial features are clearer, etc. But at the same time, certain SD content is laced with lines, snow, or whatever you call that seeming interferance. Well, you just went from a 32" to a much larger set. So that everything looks bigger including the interferance. Also, my set seems to try to enhace the picture which doesn't help the interferance. You'll find some channels looks a heck of a lot better and some channels look much worse.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Michael C,

Get used to the term 'Clayface'. It is one of the chief bugaboos of high resolution sets when handling SD...sometimes even with HD!!! You can remedy the issue somewhat through prudent use of the sharpness control. Raising it brings more texture to the skin and helps to correct the flat, pasty skin coloration and appearance but at the expense of added picture noise.

Panny seems to handle this issue better than most.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've got a 50" panasonic. It depends on the quality of the source, but a good clean SD signal isn't bad at all. I use it with an HDTivo, so I get a variety of OTA HD, satellite HD, OTA digital SD and satellite SD. That's about the quality order too.

The worst are the DirectTV channels that get hammer-level compression, like the shopping networks, the low-res sports channels that play things like Lithuania LaCrosse championships. Some of my locals look pretty good actually.

HD OTA is the best of course. It'll ruin your eyes for anything less.

·
Registered
491 Posts
bugaboo?

think i need to get used to that term as well....

krlock2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.