AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Panasonic commercial 50" plasma, the TH-50PHD7UY, since 2004, and I am still amazed at its picture quality. I am looking to purchase a new plasma for my master bedroom, but would prefer a set with built-in speakers. So just wondering if the consumer sets have the same stellar picture quality as the commercial sets? The same build quality? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18253093

I have had my Panasonic commercial 50" plasma, the TH-50PHD7UY, since 2004, and I am still amazed at its picture quality. I am looking to purchase a new plasma for my master bedroom, but would prefer a set with built-in speakers. So just wondering if the consumer sets have the same stellar picture quality as the commercial sets? The same build quality? Thanks!

I too own a Panasonic professional plasma (TH42PHD8UK since 2005) and love it. I purchased a consumer model too, a TC-P50G10, back in June and the picture quality is not quite as good in my opinion. I currently own them both. I do not believe I have the black level issue either. The TH42PHD8Uk is a bit sharper and has a bit more "pop". Although the G10 is still very nice, it's not as consistant in various picture modes like the profesional plasma. Blu-rays do look unreal in THX mode on the G10 (1080p) though. Everything else on the G10 is not quite as good (ie-cable movies, tv shows on cable, sports, etc). Given the rising black issue, I would look at a Samsung if you really want the consumer model. Samsungs have great color, have sharp picture quality, and also have decent blacks. I think the picture would look similar to the Panny profesional. If you opt for the professional series, I would try to find a Pioneer KRP500. It might be impossible to find unfortunately.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Acquired one of the newer pro/custom VX100 series last spring, the TH-65VX100U, and can't say whether the black level is going to abruptly change one day. A search of the long black- level thread linked above, using "VX100," doesn't turn up anything. The 65VX100 supposedly has a 60,000:1 contrast ratio compared to 40,000:1 for the 50-inch model. Also, as mentioned in my generalized review , the VX100s use 18-bit video processing but I've never had an opportunity to A-B compare with other models what effect that might have on images. With roughly one year of heavy use, images still appear super. -- John

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking through the commercial version of the Panasonic sight and could only find 2 models that used the neoPDP. They were 84" and 106" models!

Is there anither place where we can see a listing of the models available?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18253093

I had the same panny panel until a few months ago. I felt the same way as you about my 507UY and I was unsure that I would be able to get a better picture since I too was often amazed at the picture. My wife thought I was being ridiculous getting another plasma since the picture was "perfect" on the panny 507UY as far as she was concerned.

I hesitantly purchased a Pioneer 600M and all I can say is there is no comparison to the Panny. The 600M reveals all the faults of the Panny. I can't stress enough the effect that truly excellent, deep blacks have on the visceral impact of a display. The Pioneer colors are rich and deep in comparison to the Panny. My wife is continually blown away by this panel and she's no videophile.

My point is not to bash the Panny, but to point out the fact that there are MUCH better displays than your current Panny and it is definitely worth upgrading, but the Panasonic consumer displays are NOT the route to go IMHO.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc /forum/post/18257577

I had the same panny panel until a few months ago. I felt the same way as you about my 507UY and I was unsure that I would be able to get a better picture since I too was often amazed at the picture. My wife thought I was being ridiculous getting another plasma since the picture was "perfect" on the panny 507UY as far as she was concerned.

I hesitantly purchased a Pioneer 600M and all I can say is there is no comparison to the Panny. The 600M reveals all the faults of the Panny. I can't stress enough the effect that truly excellent, deep blacks have on the visceral impact of a display. The Pioneer colors are rich and deep in comparison to the Panny. My wife is continually blown away by this panel and she's no videophile.

My point is not to bash the Panny, but to point out the fact that there are MUCH better displays than your current Panny and it is definitely worth upgrading, but the Panasonic consumer displays are NOT the route to go IMHO.

Appreciate the info from someone who had the same plasma. Do you know if there is an equivalent consumer model to the Pioneer 600M, or is this plasma superior to Pioneer's consumer line (i.e, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD)? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor /forum/post/18253172

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167339 [/QUOT

Is there somewhere in the thread linked to that addresses the picture quality of the commericial versus consumer sets? I don't see it. Thanks.

I havent heard that commercial sets arent or are having the same issues I really hope there not for your sake. I would imagine they do have the same voltage increase as they do on consumer sets . But again I havent read anything and I hope your in the clear

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18253207

I havent heard that commercial sets arent or are having the same issues I really hope there not for your sake. I would imagine they do have the same voltage increase as they do on consumer sets . But again I havent read anything and I hope your in the clear

Doesn't appear so from my 2004 Pansonic plasma. Does anyone iknwo when Panasonic stared having this problem? And if limited to the consumer models?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc /forum/post/18257577

Those are my exact thoughts , I had a Panny 65v10 and returned it after reading all the black level rise issues even though I was very impressed with its current PQ but like you said after getting the Pioneer Kuro 6020 I realised what I was missing its everything you said and then some. I am so happy with my kuro I wish I could afford another just to keep when its time for a new one !

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor /forum/post/18259036

Doesn't appear so from my 2004 Pansonic plasma. Does anyone iknwo when Panasonic stared having this problem? And if limited to the consumer models?

I wouldnt panic because if you havent noticed by now your probably not going to even if it is or was .

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18258992

Appreciate the info from someone who had the same plasma. Do you know if there is an equivalent consumer model to the Pioneer 600M, or is this plasma superior to Pioneer's consumer line (i.e, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD)? Thanks!

They're pretty much identical displays. If you can find a 500M, 600M, or any 9G Elite in your price range I would recommend you buy without hesitation. Otherwise I would be patient and wait till a display is made that equals or exceeds their picture quality. The current Panny's are close enough IMHO, except for the rising black issues which prevent me from being able to recommend Panasonic displays at this time

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters_john /forum/post/18257105

I was looking through the commercial version of the Panasonic sight and could only find 2 models that used the neoPDP. They were 84" and 106" models!

Is there anither place where we can see a listing of the models available?

Here's the Panny VX100 site for pro/custom 50" and 65" models (monitors). Believe they're '09 models with a late '08 intro. They reportedly have some neoPDP-like features, but haven't researched that aspect. -- John

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18258992

My non Elite Kuro 6020 has better blacks and pq then my new generation v10 I had so I would imagine any PIO kuro line will out perform your older generation"commercial" Panny. Also with a Pio Kuro you wont have to wonder if everytime you turn it on if your black rise issue has started yet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts