AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of recent discussion on PQ, with some describing their results with test patterns, circles, etc.

I used such patterns previously with my analog video systems and knew they were usually reserved for "aligning" systems from an input to an output that was viewable -- a CRT or TV, for example.

Since we've got one foot in the digital world with our DVDRs, and many broadcasts are digital, things have changed a bit. We try to describe PQ with "what we see" on our TVs, and it turns out that's pretty much the way to do it, at least for us "home-users."

I found some interesting reading on the subject in this entry in Wikipedia . A pertinent point in that entry:

"From analog to digital video

In the ages of analog video systems it was possible to evaluate the quality of video processing system by calculating the frequency response of some traditional test signal (for example, a collection of color bars and circles).

Nowadays digital video systems are replacing analog ones, and evaluation methods must be changed. Performance of digital video processing system can vary powerfully and depends on dynamic characteristics of input video signal (e.g. motion, level of spatial details). That's why digital video quality must be evaluated on video sequences that can be actually received by users."

The Wiki entry ( ]linked again here ) has several other linked refs. for people interested in this subject.

· Registered
5,142 Posts
ah, but how do you calibrate that digital picture on your TV the the local station converted from analog?

I'll just stick with 35mm film

· Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/0

Lots of recent discussion on PQ, with some describing their results with test patterns, circles, etc.

I used such patterns previously with my analog video systems and knew they were usually reserved for "aligning" systems from an input to an output that was viewable -- a CRT or TV, for example.

Since we've got one foot in the digital world with our DVDRs, and many broadcasts are digital, things have changed a bit. We try to describe PQ with "what we see" on our TVs, and it turns out that's pretty much the way to do it, at least for us "home-users."

I found some interesting reading on the subject in this entry in Wikipedia . A pertinent point in that entry:

"From analog to digital video

In the ages of analog video systems it was possible to evaluate the quality of video processing system by calculating the frequency response of some traditional test signal (for example, a collection of color bars and circles).

Nowadays digital video systems are replacing analog ones, and evaluation methods must be changed. Performance of digital video processing system can vary powerfully and depends on dynamic characteristics of input video signal (e.g. motion, level of spatial details). That's why digital video quality must be evaluated on video sequences that can be actually received by users."

The Wiki entry ( ]linked again here ) has several other linked refs. for people interested in this subject.

I think you may be confusing broadcast media with storage media. But I'm just a pioneer so I expect mercy.

· Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0

I think you may be confusing broadcast media with storage media. But I'm just a pioneer so I expect mercy.

As usual, you're absolutely right!

I thought our HDDs and optical dics had a bunch of 1s and 0s on them!

· Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0

So is this broadcast or storage?

Is this a test?

Hmmmm, let me see. I'd have to take a WAG: it must be broadcast, 'cause that's what I do with the stuff I put on my HDD and discs. Doesn't everybody?

· Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/0

Is this a test?

Hmmmm, let me see. I'd have to take a WAG: it must be broadcast, 'cause that's what I do with the stuff I put on my HDD and discs. Doesn't everybody?

A bit of cross posting here - but never forget we post together! And are friends!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.