AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for feedback on what quality of picture I should be expecting with my setup. This is the first "Home Theatre" setup I have had, so I dont have a benchmark.

I have a Toshiba 56H80, six months old, have done the basic callibration with the AVIA Disk. It is a pre-Feb 2001 manufacture date so I have done the 3:2 pulldown mod (thanks to this forum) and I have the DNR set to Auto.

After calibration the basic settings on the TV are:

Contrast - 52

Brightness - 58

Color - 62

Tint -8

Sharpness 15

Color Temp - Warm

Flesh Tone - Off

DNR - Auto

DVD Player is Pioneer DV-626D running the component video out directly to the Component Video input on the HDTV with reasonable quality cables.

Result - The picture, while better than Time Warner Digital (not HD) cable (what isn't), is only OK. I can see the difference the DNR makes when enabled using Star Trek Issurection, but the overall quality seems weak. I can see "pixelation" in backgrounds with small details (i.e. the grassy hills in the opening scene of the above DVD)and the entire picture looks "grainy". Close up shots look somewhat better.

Questions -

1. Is the DVD player just medocire quality?

2. Is the TV set up incorrectly?

3. Is this just as good as it gets with this setup?

4. Will a progressive scan DVD player make a significant difference?

5. None of the above.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DJerum
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A progressive DVD player like the Toshiba 6200, will make a big difference. The internal doubling circuits in TVs leaves a lot to be desired. What is even better is a Radeon equipped HTPC. If you have a PIII or better computer, you can do it for about $500. The HTPC is much better than the Toshiba 6200 since I have both. The 6200 is for sale, only about 5 months old.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The answer to your question is yes it is the DVD player, yes it is the internal doubling circuit on your TV, yes a progressive scan DVD player will make a huge difference.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I would like to say my picture went ballistic when I installed premium silver serpent cables from our sponsor, I had tried ratshacks newest but it didn't even impress me in the least.

I have InlineInc Computer switcher that with 15 bnc to rca phono jacks converted it to

a 4 to 1 component video switcher and view is the same off both players almost digital.

I sure didn't get much from radio shacks newest product, but I did from better cables.com. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
187 Posts
I previously owned a 56x81 and found that the contrast was better set around 30 with sharpness all the way down. If you look at the tweaks section over at the Home Theater Spot, you will see how to disable the SVM. This will help with grain.

Like previous posters said, the SD6200 Tosh DVD player will help alot on DVDs. They really seem to match well with the Tosh sets. I've tried $200.00 component cable and $25.00 Recoton component cables and there was the slightest difference in color saturation ( I think ) but very little.

With the right amount of tweaking, the picture will really come alive with that set.

Any "digital" cable or DBS will not look that great no matter how hard you try. And once you get the prog DVD and HD running, NTSC cable really seems to look bad.

[This message has been edited by cnz (edited 09-03-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.