AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 SS 2000's, with 120 & 80 mb capacities respectively. I use them with my Mitsubishi 65" WS HDTV, with Comcast Digital cable. I've been considering buying a closeout 4504 or 5040 unit, since they're pretty cheap, and they have progressive output. I was initialy thinking that the picture quality would be much better than my old showstoppers, but reading through some of these posts makes me wonder. The consensus seems to be that the older units have better quality. Is this normal, or are this just because the forum is filled with people having issues with their replays? I don't want to waste the money if the PQ is no better, much less if it is actually worse than the 2000's.

Also... It looks like the progressive output on the 4504 is in VGA form. Is this true? Is there any disadvantage to this? My TV has a VGA input, which would then not use up one of my component inputs, so if it makes no difference, the VGA might be better for me.

Lastly... Currently the price after rebate difference between the 4504 and the 5040 is only $50. Is there much point in spending the extra $50, other than the file sharing thing? I see lots of complaints in here about the 5000's.

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Picture quality on the 5k's is about the same/perhaps slightly worse than SS, but better than the 4k's. Certainly do not upgrade solely in order to get better picture quality.

Progressive out on a high quality TV can actually make things worse in my experience - S-video is the way to go in my opinion.

5k's do have their share of issues but it is hoped they are getting addressed. The main advantages of getting a 5k over a 4k is better picture quality and the fact that they will continue to be supported with upgrades and new features - whereas the 4k's will not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.