AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Hughes "Silver Edition" DirecTV receiver, and I just bought a Panasonic DMR-E80HS. I wanted to know if I should upgrade my DTV receiver to get better picture... if there is such a thing as a difference in picture quality from one DTV receiver to another. (*not HDDTV) [and I use S-video]

also, since the Panny is receiving a de-coded picture from the DTV receiver output, does re-coding to DVD-R look bad?

it would be nice if Panasonic offered a DirecTV receiver built into the DMR-E80H so there wouldn't be that extra step out from the receiver and into the Panny, but since they don't, how is the quality of encoding from the small dish satellite to the Panny? would digital cable be better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same set up for a few weeks now and picture quality is fine. I have created 20 or so DVD's and when recording on the E80 in XP mode (make sure you have compatible mode set) and using high speed dub to transfer to DVD-R, I am quite happy with the results.

I don't think you'll see a DTIVO with a DVD recorder in the near future. Nor do I think you'll be able to edit out commercials on DTIVOin the near future (strictly my own opinion).

Having the E80 and seperate DTIVO might take an extra step but I have been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm having the same problem DMR-E80H with the Hughes sat box (with HD) and the picture is awful. being that the DMRE doesn't have component in, they other alternatives are RF, composite, or s-vid. We went with the S, and we're very disappointed with the video quality. The green football field looked grey. Is there a way to boost this signal? Do we have any recommendations. I tried using both the RF signal and the s-vid and got the same results.

Thank you,

·
Registered
673 Posts
The only problem with the samsung component out, is that the DMR-E80 doesn't have component in. Just RF, comp, & s-vid. I ran the component out from the sat box to the TV, so we could still get a good picture, but when you switch it to the s-vid output going through the DMR-E80, the image is very poor. As I said, it looks worse than if you had a $40 antenna on your roof. I'm dead in the watter now as I don'thave any more ideas beyond using a distributed amplifier. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This has been a comment complaint about the Panasonic recorders. Theres already 2 active threads about it today.

I have both and E30 and an E80. The picture is degraded while watching live TV (cable, sat, etc) thru the recorder. However, the recordings do not experience these problems.

Unless your TV has limited inputs (or you cable/sat box has limted outputs) there should be no reason to watch the signal thru the E80.

If its your TVs inputs then you should look into a switchbox (or a receiver which will perform video switching). If its your cable/sat box then look into a signal splitter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
>> I have both and E30 and an E80. The picture is degraded while watching live TV (cable, sat, etc) thru the recorder. However, the recordings do not experience these problems.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
However, the recordings do not experience these problems.
I don't believe this is the case. I tried a sample recording and played it throught the DMR's component output and the video still looked bad. Some grainyness (sp) and the grass still looked grey. Not happy with this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
alex, do you have the e80 set to the xp (best mode) when recording and passing live tv?

anything less than xp or sp would return a poor quality live or recorded picture.

i'm sure you probably have it set to xp but i just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm honestly not sure. I haven't changed the recording mode from the default. Do you know what the out of the box default is?

·
Registered
542 Posts
no idea, sorry, but if not set to XP then when you get a chance set it to that and see what the results are.

if your current setting is one of the 2 long play modes (especially the longest play mode / most compression) then setting it to best quality will result in a dramatic difference.

·
Registered
673 Posts
thank you for the info. I'll try that tonight and see the results. It's amazing that the pass-through is such bad quality. My old panasonic Omnivision VCR does better than that :eek:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
the pass through is where the problem lies. with your old vcr it just grabbed a 240 line analog signal and pushed that through to the tv.

your dvd player on the other hand is grabbing an analog signal somewhere between 240 and 480 lines of resolution and then processing it into digital information.

the higher the resolution the less compression artifacts you will notice but you will also get significantly less record time (1 to 2 hours per 4.7gb dvd-r)

on the flip side if you use the extended play record formats you will get 4 to 8 hours record time for a dvd-r disc but you will get significant pixelization which can look a ton worse than a bad analog signal.

i'm assuming you were seeing bad pixelization on your pass through as opposed to snow etc that you might normally see from a bad cable/vcr picture?

also - if you have a high def capable tv - do you have the component output of the e80 set to progressive scan?

·
Registered
673 Posts
It is HD and the output is set to progressive. The picture does seem to have pixilation as you mentioned, as opposed to snow. The thing that really surprised me, also, was the coloring. It was just really bland. I'm looking forward to trying the xp record mode and see what it looks like.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
542 Posts
no problem - i actually need to thank you for being my test guy as the e80 is a recorder that i really want but should pass through at XP mode be poor then it will be a real deal breaker.

from your description though, especially the colors being very bland, i would have to believe that you have the player set to one of the 2 extended modes and knowing manufacturers it would not surprise me if the player defaults to the longest play setting.

look forward to seeing your results.

ps. if you don't like it after setting it to XP mode do you wanna swap it for an HTPC in a very nice component looking cooler master case??? :D :p

·
Registered
857 Posts
You could have a bad e80. I along with several others on the board are getting good results with the recorder. As a matter of fact, I could not be happier with the e80. I have three sources, Cband, Directv and Ota. Of the three, the poorest one is Directv using the svid out. I have the DVDO Ultra video processor that really makes a difference in the video as shown using a Sony Front Projector D50Q on a 100" screen. When watching football the grass or turf looks great. I find the tuner in the e80 to be very good for local programming that is not in HD for which I use the RCA DTC100. I do not use the 4 or 6 hour recording modes.

Hope you find the solution. Could it be the cabeling. One time I had an svideo cable that gave me the same poor definition of color that you are getting.

Henry

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i just got my recorder, and DTV looks great. i even recorded in the longer record mode, and playing off the HD it still looked good from a distance.

my only problem is that the S-video from my SVHS player looks horrible! colors are bland and b&w is too *bright* and a lot of horizontal grain lines. it also looks the same through the RF and composite, too. when i play a B&W on my other regular VCR directly to the TV in the other room, it looks brilliant! so, either my SVHS deck all of a sudden has playback problems or the E80H is causing this. (and NO, it is not any copy-protection problem. this problem happens on stuff i recorded from TCM and home movies)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.