AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I own an Infocus IN83 projector. While I was still getting my setup .. setup .. I just plugged an "M series" (bought at best buy) HDMI cable from my HD satellite receiver to the Projector (and also Left and Right / red and white rca type cables from the satellite receiver to these speakers I have that just use like headphone jack cables and l and r ins (so no speaker wire or anything else. They're supposed to be mainly for an ipod. An ipod connects to them with a two-sided headphone type cord, 1/16 or 1/8 inch, whatever it is).

Anyway, I finally got a Marantz SR5003 surround receiver, and I had some older, more legit home theatre speakers around the house. Also, I got more HDMI cables, from monoprice.

So now I have:

Satellite receiver, and Toshiba HD-DVD player both connected to the Marantz SR5003 with two, monoprice 2foot 24awg HDMI cables, and then one monoprice 20foot 22AWG HDMI cable from the HDMI out on the receiver to the projector. The picture is now noticeably worse. I've been watching 1080i HD movies from the satellite, and now the pixels break up much more when there is motion, kind of like motion blur, except everything kind of breaks up into blurry squares and stuff really quickly before smoothing out again when thigns move fast.

I thought it was maybe the HDMI cord. But there's no way to not use the extra HDMI cords and not the use receiver at the same time. So there's no way for me to figure out if it's the reicever of the HDMI cords, if you get what I mean. What I'm saying is I can't test whether or not the extra 2foot HDMI cords (as opposed to just one cord from source to PJ) is what's causing the problem. I did try changing the 20foot monoprice HDMI cable for the M-Series (12 foot I believe) HDMI cable I was using before, but that did not help.

1. Could it be that before I was using the HDMI cable for only the video signal? With the audio being sent through L and R RCA type cables? Whereas now the audio and video are both being sent via HDMI cable? Then again, that's only on the way to the receiver. After the receiver, the HDMI cable is only video (going to projector), whereas the audio is via speaker wire to the speakers.

2. Or could it be that the 2foot HDMI cables are 24awg, and the 20foot is 22awg? I don't know much about HDMI cables but I read the lower the AWG, the better...

3. Or could it be I don't have the receiver set up properly? Because I didn't set it up at all. I jsut kind of turned it on... because I wanted to watch tv. I am planning on setting it up tomorrow. I figure there is no point now because I only have 2 speakers right now. I haven't gotten a surround set yet.

Thanks everyone so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sounds like low bandwidth from your cable service provider. I used to get a crystal clear HD-Lite image from Time Warner cable, but now that they offer many more speed upgrades, it seems like they downgraded the original customers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts