AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
LCOS

Hitachi has a great one coming out end of month.

CP-S5500W, Native SXGA, 1500 lumens, Progressive Scan Video built-in.

Looking at a street price of around $6400 on release.

And Pixels.....what pixels, try and find them.

Saw it last week guys..... looked great!

------------------

Projector Man

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
PM

They said their panel was superior to JVC's and had better blacks.

Have you seen a dila and if so whats your opinion on comparing the 2.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I can't wait for the Hitachi and Christie Digital LCOS projectors.

If the price is kept down, and the projectors are quiet, they should have all the benefits of LCD (great colors, high brightness) with no screen door and gobs of resolution.

DLP and D-ILA were measured to have about the same black level by Mark Foster and Richard Martin a while back, so if the Hitachi is better in that area, it sounds like it could be great!

We will hopefully soon seen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cute! so like i Originally asked "Will a DLP or LCD give a better picture quality?" especially in 16:9 ratio. what recommendations do you give for a projector under $5,000

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Your best bet under $5K in a "native 16:9" format is probably the Sony 10HT LCD projector.

Not that LCD is natively superior to DLP in all areas, just that this particular projector comes in at your budget point and is one of the only ones meeting your sole "16:9" requirement.

If you have other criteria, please share them. There is no definite answer to your original question, as it depends on: how far back from the screen you sit, what source material you typically view (any HDTV?), and possibly even how good your eyes are (see the "Mind's Eye thread").

Share...and reap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have seen the JVC D-ILAs, but haven't had a chance to see the new Hitachi LCOS side by side yet.

I do think the picture is right there with them. Of course Hitachi had the projector off in a room by itself, playing what they want to play through it. Blacks looked good, I think Hitachi is rating that unit at 500:1 ANSI contrast ratio.

Only Spent 15 to 20 min. playing with the projector...but hope to have one inhouse soon. I keep everyone updated when I have more time to play and experiment.

I think the big thing is price point... don't remember exact but I think MSRP was around $8900

------------------

Projector Man

[This message has been edited by projectorman (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffY:
Will a car or a train go faster?
Freight or budliner?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry RedMax....

You'll be hard pressed to find a DLP 16:9 native ratio for around $5000. So I think the answer is LCD.....

on a side note...

Alan, from my understanding aren't D-ILA and LCOS very similar in technology? Just asking not a major techi, just know enough to be dangerous.

------------------

Projector Man

[This message has been edited by projectorman (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
I take it this new Hitachi projector is native 4x3 like other DILA devices?

Can such a projector "mask" to a 16x9 window area for display and then further "windowbox" so 4x3 material can be displayed (albiet not at the display's full resolution) on the same 16x9 screen?

-dave

-dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I am a real newbie when it comes to projectors The theater room that i am currently building is 17x 12 I was thinking of putting the projector at 12' on the ceiling. The room can and will be totally black. I really want about a 110' screen and i figured since the native format for movies was 16:9 that that i what i should be looking for especially since the screen would be longer than the tall. I will be watching mostly DVD's on my projector and maybe some digital cable. To me the way i see it is that the HDTV standard wont really be a "standard" for at least the next five years and therefore I am not worrying much about hdtv compatability especially since i will probably try to sell the projector with the house in five years. So what do you think will be the best thing for my viewing? I wouldnt mind something that was a year or 2 old that has a great picture quality

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by projectorman:
Alan, from my understanding aren't D-ILA and LCOS very similar in technology?
D-ILA is JVC's brand name for its LCOS technology. D-ILA is to LCOS as Kleenex is to tissue. Up until now, however, D-ILA has really been the only available brand of LCOS. I'm not 100% sure if Hitachi has developed their own LCOS technology or if they are buying the chips from JVC.

- Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts

Right guys, now we know that both of them uses the same techonology, but what about the most important thing in a projector that tend to burn a hole in our pocket?

Does the Hitachi uses Xenon?

------------------

Fuzz

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
If they are making LCOS in SXGA, wouldn't Polysilicon (ordinary newer kind of LCD) be cheaper to build in SXGA? I looked over at Projector Central's data base, and they exist, but they have only 350:1 contrast ratios and the cheapest ones cost over $17K list. What's up with that?

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
855 Posts
A Plus Piano is 16:9 and DLP. It can be bought new for $3000 or less.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Or a LT150 combined with a ISCO II or Panamorph lens - should also come below the price point and offer very good performance for the price http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . There's the slight image distortion problems noted here, but that's the route I'm going.

------------------

/frode

[This message has been edited by Frode (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Huckster and Frode -

Good points! I forgot about the Piano, and didn't even consider that with a $2,000 anamorphic lens that a combination could meet Redmax's budget, but the LT150 can pull it off!

Thanks for the clarity. It seems there are more sub $5k 16:9 options than I had considered! This is a good trend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FUZZ

Hitachi using 220W UHB, should be right inline with the rest of their Lamps.

------------------

Projector Man

[This message has been edited by projectorman (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Search 10HT here and you will be flooded with info. It was the hot projector 2 years ago.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.